Author Topic: American federal census lookup please . Elizabeth Leather  (Read 9402 times)

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: American federal census lookup please . Elizabeth Leather
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 February 10 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello John and Dettori
Thankyou ever so much for all the effort that you have put in, in researching my family! Finding the marriage of Elizabeth and Napoleon is a great breakthrough for me. I can't access those records, over here in Wales!
I will have a look at the weblink for the marriage certificate, after I have done this.
Elizabeth's mother was Mary Foster. Mary and Joseph were married in Lancashire, in january 1875. Their daughter Helena/Eleanor (name changes in census records) was the sister of Elizabeth, Ada and my ancestor, their brother Joseph. Helena/ Eleanor seems a bit of an enigma, as she disappears, after the 1891 census...and there is no birth record that matches for her. Perhaps she also ended up in Massachusetts !
Thanks also for the census findings of the Dermers family. They seem to be in the right area, so hopefully this is them. The details on the American census seem to give a lot more information, than the British ones.
Are there any census records for Montreal, from around the 40's? Apparently Elizabeth and her husband ran a shoe manufacturer's, in Montreal. Perhaps this would confirm if we have the right family?
The other Elizabeth Leather (Egerton), I think is the aunt of Elizabeth and Ada and sister of their father Joseph. Sarah Egerton was her daughter and cousin of Ada and Elizabeth.
The information that you have given me is amazing. I will now go and take a look at the website.
thankyou
Hobbyhorse

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 February 10 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hope John has dug himself out of the snow !!

Their is a 1911 census of Canada and 1916 of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, I don't know of anything later.  Perhaps their could be city directories or something like that which could help.Many experts on the Canadian board, perhaps it is worth asking the question to see if you can find anything on Elizabeth/Napoleon and shoe manufactuerer's.  Interesting that was the first occupation we picked up for Paul Garcin/Garsein, stepfather of Napoleon.
Would be nice to find the Demers on the 1900 census, would answer a few more questions.

I did tentatively have a look for Helena/Eleanor last night when I was looking for a marriage to match Leather/Foster.   Wondered abour Eleanor Leather - Birkenhead. Cheshire in Sept 1876 and a death in Manchester March 1894 age 17 years !!  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 February 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
1920 Haverhill Ward 5, Essex, Massachusetts .
Napoleon Demers 27 Born 1893 Masscahusetts. Father Nova Scotia Mother Canada .
Elisabeth Demers 27 says born 1893 England. Immigration 1902
Just above them on the census are Paul, Henrietta Garsein and stepson Wilfred Demers. 21 years old
The name of his mother on the marriage was Henrietta Crotte !!!

1930 Salem, Rockingham, New Hampshire
Napoleon Demers 38 Age at marriage 21 years.   Elizabeth Demers 35 Age at marriage 18

Hi Hobbyhorse: I'm pretty sure these are your people. I haven't seen the 1920 or 1930 censuses, so I don't know what their occupations would be. But Haverhill, Mass. was important in the American shoe industry, and these folks seem to have been in it.

Salem, New Hampshire borders Haverhill to the west, and with Lawrence and Methuen the four almost make a circle. So moving from one place to another wasn't difficult or unusual at all.

If they went to Canada, it must have been after 1930.

Regards,
John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 February 10 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hobbyhorse et al:

I found Napoleon Demers registering for the World War II draft in 1942 in Haverhill, Mass. The person who will always know his address is Henrietta Garcin. His birth date is Mar 27, 1892.

This Napoleon also seemed to be residing in Haverhill, Mass. at the time of his death in 1970. His birth date in the Social Security Death Index is Mar 27, 1892. He must have been living in Massachusetts in the mid-1930s, since his Social Security number was issued there.

I couldn't find a good candidate for Elizabeth in the index. That probably means that she died before 1962, or at the latest by 1970. She would have been issued a number in the 1930s to 1970s only if she had been working. If not working since the 1930s (the 1930 census says that she was not working), she would have been issued a number only if she survived Napoleon, in order to receive Social Security as a surviving spouse.

Regards,

SCOTLAND

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 February 10 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Excellent John.
You must be snowed in again !!!
A City Directory Entry - Havershill 1935.  Henrietta Garcin and Mrs Anna Langlois.
We know Anna was already a widow by 1930 so perhaps Paul Garcin has died to.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 February 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
1937 City Directory says Henrietta Garcin widow of Paul Garcin  :(

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 February 10 17:14 GMT (UK) »
1960 seems to be the last entry for Henrietta Garcin. (Hetty) Lawrence. Massachusetts.

Paul G seems to be around in the directories until 1928 - shoe-worker. Havershill.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 February 10 17:41 GMT (UK) »
The age for Elizabeth had varied slightly throughout.  Hobbyhorse said 1889/90.
The 1910 census scan shows 20 so that is 1890.
the 1920 census shoes her as 27 so that is 1893
the 1930 census shows her as 35 so that is 1895

So I will throw this Social Security Death into the mix for an Elizabeth Demers.
Haverhill, Essex, Massachusetts,
Born 3 May 1894 Died: Aug 1978

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 February 10 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dettori. Not snowed in. I'm connected with a college that's closed for Lincoln's Birthday. My post today was information that I had found yesterday.

Nice find there with the SSDI. I used the version at Rootsweb, and that entry didn't come up in a name search. But it did come up at Rootsweb when I plugged in the social security number. Then I searched the SSDI at FamilySearch.org, and it came up in a name search. Have to remember to use the version at FamilySearch.org.

Hobbyhorse, that could be Elizabeth Leather Demers. But you have to do more research to be sure.

SCOTLAND