Author Topic: American federal census lookup please . Elizabeth Leather  (Read 9401 times)

Offline Salford Lad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: American federal census lookup please . Elizabeth Leather
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
No hobbyhorse, you are quite correct, do not know what i was thinking of, Of course it was Catherine Smith, apologise for my silly mistake.

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
Though I read the thread through again yesterday, there were so many people mentioned that I can't remember who might have been living in 1940. If you want to bring it up to that time, the 1940 census is on the FamilySearch website at https://familysearch.org/1940census.

You can plug in names and locations: The Massachusetts cities of Lawrence, Haverhill, and Methuen (pronounced Meh-too-enby French Canadiens--with the accent on the last syllale, according to my favorite relative from that area) are in Essex County. Salem, New Hampshire is in Rockingham County.

John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline Homeboss3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 12 August 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
Today, I found the gravestones of Napoleon Demers and Elizabeth Leather Demers.

They are buried in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Methuen, Mass.

The Census information I have for them:

1920 Haverhill, Massachusetts.
Napoleon was 27, employed as a Shoe Cutter in a shoe shop.
Elizabeth is 27, employed as a Jack (?) Spooler in a woolen mill
The record also states she emigrated to the US in 1902 and became a naturalized citizen in 1914.

1930 Salem, New Hampshire:
Napoleon, 38, b Mass, Cutter, shoe factory
Elizabeth, 35, b Eng.

Their marriage record is May 22, 1914 in Lawrence, Massachusetts.
States that she was living on 14 Granite Street in Methuen, Mass., is 23 years old and employed as a Mill Operative. Also states that her parents are Joseph Leather and Mary Foster Leather.

I have placed their gravestone photos on www.findagrave.com, on a memorial page for each.
The page numbers are #182315202 for Elizabeth and #182315188 for Napoleon.

(I joined this forum so that I could reply to your inquiry. =)

The towns I mentioned: Lawrence, Haverhill and Methuen, Massachusetts and Salem, New Hampshire are all close to one another.   They were mill towns that attracted imigrants by the thousands at the time.

Lynn

Offline Salford Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
Dear Lynn thank you so much  for all the information on Napoleon Demar and Elizabeth Leather, to give you some facts, Elizabeth was my Great aunt, she was the half sister of my Grandad James Leather who was the eldest son of my Great Grandparents Joseph Leather and his first wife Catherine Smith who unfortunately died aged only 27, Joseph then remarried Mary Anne Foster who also died young in her fifties in 1896, Joseph struggled on but then hung himself in 1898, two of the girls Ada and Elizabeth emigrated to the U.S.A. My mothers maiden name was Lilian Leather the daughter of James and his wife Jane. I am so grateful for all your information and will now add it to my family tree,  Regards..... Alan J.

Offline Homeboss3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Im happy to add to your family tree, about what happened to Elizabeth Leather when she emigrated to the United States.  I would like to put more information about her on her Find a Grave memorial page, specifically what area of England in which she was born.

Did you want me to try and find her sister, Ada?

Lynn

Offline Salford Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn, not got a lot of information on Elizabeth,she was born in 1889 i can only assume that she was born in Manchester like her other siblings, i know she left England aboard the ss.  Saxonia on 17th April 1906 and arrived at Boston Massachusetts on 26th April, she was 17 and a domestic servant, i believe her fare was paid by her sister Ada who had married a Fred Ball Bedford and was living at 34 Chelmsford Road ? Lawrence Mass. Ada had married Fred on the 9th August 1905 in Methuen Mass. If you want to know more about who i am, you can find me on Facebook, thank you for all your help...... Alan J