Author Topic: HIGGINS/O'KANE family, Glenullin/Garvagh  (Read 51672 times)

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
HIGGINS/O'KANE family, Glenullin/Garvagh
« on: Tuesday 09 February 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
This is new to us, we are trying to trace back through the Higgins family of Glenullin/Garvagh we have so far come up with Emma Higgins parents being Barney O'Kane and Mary Diamond would this be the same Diamond family you are referring to, any help and pointers would be appreciated.

Post split from this thread:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,415435.0/topicseen.html

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HIGGINS family, Glenullin/Garvagh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. I've split you topic so it won't get lost on the one for Diamond family. There are LOTS of Higgins, O'Kane/Kane and Diamond families in Glenullin and Garvagh area. If you can give us an idea of dates for Emma Higgins or her parents we might be able to help you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 18:32 GMT (UK) »
thank you hope this helps
Emma Rose Higgins 11/12/1913 - 29/01/2010 married to Patrick Joseph Higgins  /02/1912 - 26/06/1975
Emma's parents were Barney O'Kane and Mary Diamond who also had Lizzy, Maggy, Susan, Henry, Barney, John, Dan. Patrick, Kate and Mary whom both emigrated to America

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Is this the family living at Lisnascreagh in 1911?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Slaght/Lisnascreghog/591508/

If so I think they were known as Harryroe O'Kanes and I have school photos with some of the children in them.

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
thank you yes this does appear to be the family we are searching and is it possible for us to see any copies of photos you have

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Have copy of Daniel O'Kane's birth certificate (born 21 Apr.1908 Lisnascreagh) showing parents as Bernard O'Kane (farmer) and Mary Diamond so looks like it is the family I thought.
Have school photos of Dan and Kate in 1911- also 2 Barney O'Kanes (1 a Roshie O'Kane and too old to be your Barney but think younger one is yours). Also later group of girls outside the school (cookery class?) that has Emma in it.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Have a lot of birth certificates for that area copied onto a CD but they are by year and then in no particular order so it takes awhile to find everything on them. Do you need birth info for O'Kane and Higgins family or have you all the names and dates already?
If you send me a PM (personal message) - click on little green scroll on one of my posts- with your email address I try to send you the pictures- school photos and lovely one of school, etc.

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 February 10 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Need help to progress, have now got 6 generations from the latest edition Patrick Higgins back to Daniel O'Kane and Catherine Mullan round about 1800 can't get anyting from this time, still need to fill in some areas IE. emigration to America of some of the O'Kanes (harryroe) between 1899 to 1930 have found Rose O'Kane (think its one of ours) who arrived in U.S September 1912 still searching for Cathrine and Mary O'Kanes dates of arrival in U.S.

Offline siledee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 February 10 17:36 GMT (UK) »
www.findmypast.com has ships lists 1890-1960
Its a subscription site but free to search. Register with them and take the 14 day free trial.
You should find your people there. Just remember to cancel before the 14 days are up to avoid hefty charges.