Author Topic: HIGGINS/O'KANE family, Glenullin/Garvagh  (Read 51668 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HIGGINS family, Glenullin/Garvagh
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 April 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
I do have CD with lots of local birth registers but those aren't the O'Kane records I meant now. Here's a few bits that might be of interest to start with-

Coleraine Chronicle, 4 Oct.1851: Birth- 12 Sept. daughter to wife of Daniel O'Kane, Hotel Keeper, Garvagh.

Coleraine Chronicle, 19 Sept.1863: At Beleran, on the 15th inst., by the Rev. D. Tolland, P.P., assisted by the Rev. J. O'Loughlin, C.C., Matthew McKeefry, Es. California, to Kate, third daughter of Daniel O'Kane, Esq., Hotel, Garvagh.

1863 Ironmongers' Co. Notes on Tenants- Tirkeeran: Daniel O'Kane (37 acres 3 rods 30 perches- annual rent £23 14s). Wife, two children. Keeps the hotel in Garvagh. Complains of the increase in rent. Says that Noland [former agent Nolan] told him that he ought to have 17 acres of his land 5s per acre lower than he pays, in consquence of his having so much improved the land. Mr. A.[nderson] says the land is cheap enough.

Coleraine Chronicle, 18 Nov.1876: O'Kane- At the Commercial Hotel, Garvagh, on the 11th inst. after a lingering illness, Mary, the beloved daughter of Daniel O'Kane.

Coleraine Chronicle, 30 June 1883: O'Kane- At the Commercial Hotel, Garvagh, on the 23rd inst., Daniel O'Kane.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 April 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Brilliant...that confirms that Daniels wife was Mary Gribbon...I was never ABSOLUTELY certain...now I am...thanks so much.

Coleraine Chronicle, 4 Oct.1851: Birth- 12 Sept. daughter to wife of Daniel O'Kane, Hotel Keeper, Garvagh.

Rose O'Kane Baptism14/09/1851
 Garvagh
 Roman Catholic

Father: Daniel O'Kane Mother: Mary Gribbon   

I now can definitely add

Hannah O'Kane Baptism  25/03/1847
 Garvagh

Father: Dan O'Kane Mother: Mary Gribbon

I didn't know anything about Mary who in 1876

Probably this is the death record:
Mary O'Kane d 1876, registered Coleraine RD vol 16 p 317, aged 30

I'll check this record.

This is great information....thanks again
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline Sheila8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 April 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
 I have a database of families from Glenullin as my grandmother was Rose Dillon of Brockaghboy. Here is what I have on the Bernard Higgins family. I think that his father might have been a George Higgins. If you sent for Bernard Higgins and Catherine Dillon's marriage record, you will get the fathers' names.

First Generation
--------------------------------------------------

1. Bernard Higgins. He was born in 1876. Bernard died in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 1 Feb 1954; he was 78.

Bernard was a resident of Brockagh at the time of his marriage.

He married Catherine Dillon, daughter of Patrick Dillon (ca1843-1892) & Jane Quigg (1856-1895), on 28 Oct 1909 in St. Joseph’s, Glenullin, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland. Witnesses, Henry Hasson, Mary McNIchol. She was born in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 10 Jun 1878. Catherine died in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 29 Jun 1947; she was 69.

According to the 1911 census, Catherine was age 26, suggesting a birth year of about 1885. Her age is most likely incorrect and she was most likely about 36. Catherine died at the age of 59 years from a cerebral hemorraghe and hypertension. The informant of her death was her son Patrick of Ballintemple.

They had the following children:
   2   i.   Hugh (1910-)
   3   ii.   James (1911-)
   4   iii.   Mary Jane (1913-)
   5   iv.   Patrick Joseph (1916-1975)
   6   v.   Bernard
   7   vi.   Francis

Second Generation

2. Hugh Higgins (Bernard1). He was born in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 17 Jul 1910.

3. James Higgins (Bernard1). He was born in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 5 Jul 1911.

4. Mary Jane Higgins (Bernard1). She was born in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 2 Oct 1913.

5. Patrick Joseph Higgins (Bernard1). He was born in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 14 Feb 1916. Patrick Joseph died in Ballintemple, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 26 Jun 1975; he was 59.

Patrick is listed as a son and informant on his mother's death record. He most likely was born in Lisnascreagh as were his siblings. He was living in Ballintemple at the time of his mother's death.

6. Bernard Higgins (Bernard1).

7. Francis Higgins (Bernard1).

Offline Sheila8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 April 10 21:15 BST (UK) »
Here is the family of Catherine Dillon who married Bernard Higgins.
First Generation

1. Patrick Dillon. He was born in Coolcoscreaghan, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, ca 1843. Patrick died in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 4 Feb 1892; he was 49.

Patrick is listed in his father Hugh Dillon’s 1883 will as living in Lisnascreghog on a farm that his father owned.

The Ballymoney Free Press of May 15th 1890 reported the case of Patrick Dillon's application to the Land Commission for the fixing of a fair rent. In the report he stated that the farm was bought by his father from a man named George Mullan about 18 years before, ie about 1872. He said the land was subject to flooding and the crops were partly injured thereby.

Patrick made his will on 25 Jan 1892. He stated he was a resident of Lisnascreghog and mentions his wife, but not by name. He also mentions his daughters, Mary, Catherine and Biddy and son Hugh, not yet 25. William Dillon was a witness to the will. Executors were Hugh Mullan of Coolcoscreaghan and James Quigg of Brockaghboy.

He married Jane Quigg, daughter of Henry Quigg (~1824-1905) & Catherine Mullan (-<1901), on 26 Jan 1874 in Glenullen Chapel, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland. Witnesses, Patrick McCrory, Catherine Mellan (sic). She was born in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 6 Apr 1856. Jane died in Coleraine District, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, in 1895; she was 38. Baptismal Sponsor: John Mullan, Rosey Quigg.

Jane Quigg Dillon is mentioned in her husband’s 1892 will but does not appear in the 1901 census for Lisnascreghog. There is a death listed in the 4th quarter of the Ireland 1895 death record index for a Jane Dillon, age 38 years. This is most likely the death of Jane Quigg Dillon, wife of Patrick Dillon.

2   i.   Mary (1876-)
   3   ii.   Catherine (1878-1947)
   4   iii.   Bridget “Biddy” (1880-)
   5   iv.   Hugh (1886-)

Second Generation

2. Mary Dillon (Patrick1). She was born in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 3 Jul 1876.

3. Catherine Dillon (Patrick1). She was born in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 10 Jun 1878. Catherine died in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 29 Jun 1947; she was 69.

According to the 1911 census, Catherine was age 26, suggesting a birth year of about 1885. Her age is most likely incorrect and she was most likely about 36. Catherine died at the age of 59 years from a cerebral hemorrhage and hypertension. The informant of her death was her son Patrick of Ballintemple.

She married Bernard Higgins, son of George Higgins, on 28 Oct 1909 in St. Joseph’s, Glenullin, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland. Witnesses, Henry Hasson, Mary McNIchol. He was born in 1876. Bernard died in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 1 Feb 1954; he was 78.

Bernard was a resident of Brockagh at the time of his marriage.

6   i.   Hugh (1910-)
   7   ii.   James (1911-)
   8   iii.   Mary Jane (1913-)
   9   iv.   Patrick Joseph (1916-1975)
   10   v.   Bernard
   11   vi.   Francis

4. Bridget “Biddy” Dillon (Patrick1). She was born in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 10 Sep 1880.

Research: Possibly the Bridget Dillon who married John McCloskey and had a daughter Bridget born in 1909 in Brockagh.

5. Hugh Dillon (Patrick1). He was born in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 7 Feb 1886.

Hugh's birth record lists his father Patrick as a farmer.  Hugh is listed as “not yet 25,”  in his father’s 25 Jan 1892 will.  Hugh is most likely the Hugh Dillon, age 20 years, and single who is listed on the ship S.S. Caledonia which sailed from Londonderry and arrived in New York on 16 Apr 1909. He stated that his last residence was Garvagh and his nearest relative was Hugh Dillon of Garvagh. His final destination was Brooklyn, NY to join his relative, sister, Bessie Dillon, at 609 Gates Ave., Brooklyn. Bessie is probably his sister Bridget who was born in 1880. In 1909 at the time of this ship list, the only Hugh Dillon still alive and living in the area of Brockagh, Brockaghboy, and Coolcoscreaghan (Garvagh) as mentioned in the ship list by Hugh, is Hugh Dillon of Coolcoscreaghan, who married Mary O'Hagan. This Hugh Dillon of Coolcoscreaghan would be a first cousin to Hugh Dillon of Lisnascreghog, their fathers being brothers.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 April 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
Sheila- I might have more on Dillons, etc. if you are interested.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sheila8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 April 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
I would love whatever you have on the Dillons. I have a great deal on that family but I could be missing somethings.

Thanks, Sheila

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 April 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
hi familyroutes is your O'Kanes of the (Harry Roe) we are back to Bernard O'Kane  1871 = 1932 married to Mary Diamond, i have come across Henry, james and John and also Rose but cannot tie up a connection with Bernard at the moment.

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 April 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a Bernard O'Kane ...son of Daniel O'Kane and Catherine Mullan..Daniel was a son of Henry Roe.
Henry Roe had a son John married to Mary O'Kane,a son Henry married to Margaret Collins and a daughter Bridget who didn't marry
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 April 10 22:20 BST (UK) »
hi sheila8 thank you for the info i am going to study it and update my tree and check out info i have which may be of interest to you, many thanks mike