Author Topic: HIGGINS/O'KANE family, Glenullin/Garvagh  (Read 51809 times)

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
Re: HIGGINS family, Glenullin/Garvagh
« Reply #27 on: Friday 09 April 10 18:37 BST (UK) »
Name: Bernard Okane Date of Baptism / Birth: 10-Feb-1871
Address: Brockaboy Parish / District: GARVAGH

Father: Daniel Okane
Mother: Catherine Mullan

Informant: Daniel Okane
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 April 10 00:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info i am slowly getting it all together, do you know the birthdates of Daniel O'Kane and Catherine Mullan or any other info, many thanks mike

Offline Sheila8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 10 April 10 00:42 BST (UK) »
I have Daniel born about 1837 and Catherine born about 1836 which I estimated from info found in the Irish Old Age Pension application filed by Cathereine Mullan , Daniel's wife. She was about 72 when she applied for the OAP. The OAP found her in the 1841 census suggesting a birth year of about 1836.

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 10 April 10 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi thank you for pic, its difficult to get information as we live in essex u.k. we can only speak to people and visit places when we come over to n.i. for holidays,
mike

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 10 April 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
IGI have a record of

Rebecka b  12 Feb   1867       Garvagh, parents Daniel O'Kane and Catherine nee Mullan
  Henry    b   25 Dec  1864       Garvagh, parents Daniel O'Kane and Catherine nee Mullan
Rose       b    04 Jan  1869       Garvagh, parents Daniel O'Kane and Catherine nee Mullan
Margaret b 05 July   1873        Garvagh, parents Daniel O'Kane and Catherine nee Mullan
Daniel    b      1 Jan   1876        Garvagh, parents Daniel O'Kane and Catherine nee Mullan

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 May 10 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hello all
After a lot of searching and info from your good selves I am at a standstill again with the Higgins/O'Kane tree. Thanks to Sheila8 I have a copy of the marriage certificate of Bernard Higgins b.1876 m.1909 Catherine Dillon 1878 the father named on the certificate is George Higgins but I can not find any information for him ie. birth, where from and whom he married, i am guesssing he would have been born around the 1830/40s. As with the O'Kanes (harryroe) I am back to Daniel O'Kane b1837 m. ? Catherine Mullan b.1836 here again I have come to a standstill, any pointers or info would be helpful. Also weather permitting, allowing flight, we will be in Garvagh for a week from this coming Thursday visiting relatives.
mike

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 May 10 14:18 BST (UK) »
As far as I know Henry Roe was married to Rebecca Balfour. The children that  I know of are:

John 1833-1903 married to Mary O'Kane(1840-1918)According to a great granddaughter they were 1st cousins.
Mary's father was James and he must have been a  brother of Henry Roe.

On the 2nd February, in the Roman Catholic Church, Dungiven, by the Rev. James McCloskey, C.C., Mr. John O’Kane, Brockaghbuoy, to Mary, youngest daughter of Mr. James O’Kane, Ligavallern.(sic)  (Legavallon)
(newspaper record from the Mormon library given to me by Sheila8)

Daniel c. 1838 married to Catherine Mullan

Bridget c 1842 (unmarried)

Henry 1845 married to Margaret Collins(of Knockoneill Swatragh)
Date of Marriage 21 Aug 1883
 Henry OKANE
Margaret COLLINS
 Maghera Roman Catholic Church

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 17 May 10 15:45 BST (UK) »
According to the 1911 census Bernard was 35 in 1911 and Catherine 26...which would mean that Bernard was born around 1876 and Catherine around 1885

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Slaght/Lisnascreghog/591528/

There is a George Higgins aged 60 widower with 2 daughters Rose  and  Catherine
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Glenkeen/Brockagh/591224/

IFHF records have a George Higgins with 4 children
Mary Jane 1880
Bernard 1882
Rose 1884
Catherine 1888

The dates don't match the census....but they are close -ish!!

Emerald Ancestors and IFHF only have 1 other Bernard born around that time and that's on  8 Jan 1874 and the father's name is Patrick not George
Name Bernard HIGGINS
Father Patrick  HIGGINS
Mother  Nancy   DOHERTY
Errigal

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 17 May 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you I have checked out the site you recommended and the dates are close ish as you say, but on the info below which i got from sheila8 the dates seem to conflict,

Catherine Dillon She was born in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 10 Jun 1878. Catherine died in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 29 Jun 1947; she was 69.

According to the 1911 census, Catherine was aged 26, suggesting a birth year of about 1885. Her age is most likely incorrect and she was most likely about 36. Catherine died at the age of 59 years from a cerebral hemorrhage and hypertension. The informant of her death was her son Patrick of Ballintemple.

She married Bernard Higgins, son of George Higgins, on 28 Oct 1909 in St. Joseph’s, Glenullin, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland. Witnesses, Henry Hasson, Mary McNichol. He was born in 1876. Bernard died in Lisnascreghog, Errigal Parish, Co. Londonderry, Ireland, on 1 Feb 1954; he was 78.

so now i am not sure which are the correct dates.
mike