Author Topic: HIGGINS/O'KANE family, Glenullin/Garvagh  (Read 51674 times)

Offline brieno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HIGGINS/O'KANE family, Glenullin/Garvagh
« Reply #81 on: Monday 05 October 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Micwood,
Just came across this thread and saw your query on Mary Jane Higgins. I'm her grandson and was delighted to come across her family history.

Mary did indeed marry Dan O'Sullivan (from Gowlane, Lispole, Co. Kerry) in Camberwell, London 1939. Their first son was Brian O'Sullivan born 1940 in London. They returned to Ireland in 1940 and settled in Dingle, Co Kerry where they had 3 more sons John, Daniel (my father) and Michael.
Brian (died 1975), John and Michael all emigrated to Springfield MA in the US while Daniel moved to Dublin.
Mary died in 1991 and is buried in Balinclare cemetery near Lispole.
I would greatly appreciate if you could send on any old photos or certs that you may have related to the Higgins family. Let me know if you need any more info on Mary.
Many thanks,
Brian O'Sullivan

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 05 October 15 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian
Thank you for your reply and information about Mary Jane Higgins yes I do have some photos and info on the higgins family and would be pleased to share with you. Do you have any info on Mary's brothers, sisters, parents and grandparents which you would be willing to exchange if so we would be better using email if you wish, my email is (*), many thanks again and hope to hear from you soon.

Michael

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Sheila8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HIGGINS family, Glenullin/Garvagh
« Reply #83 on: Thursday 26 October 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
my mother was susana o'kane.(roshie) my uncle dan , her brother was married to mary higgins.

I knew Dane O'Kane and his wife Mary Higgins when they used to spend summers in their house on the corner. Dan's oldest brother Bernard "Barney" O'Kane married in New York to Tillie Mullan from Coolcoscreaghan. Tillie's parents were Michael Mullan and Matilda Mullan and they lived in Coolcoscreaghan after they married in 1901 in Philadelphia. I have been trying for a long time to find out the names of Michael Mullan's parents. Would you know who they were? Michael died in 1917 at Coolcoscreaghan.

Offline Sheila8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 26 October 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
[quote author=micwood link=topic=436497.msg4046442#msg4046442
Still trying to find info on George Higgins farmer as named on marriage certificate.

Hi Michael,

George Higgins,b abt 1851-1857,, died 19 Dec 1928 Brockagh, son of James Higgins and Mary Walsh. George married Mary O'Hagan 18 Oct 1880 in Errigal Church Brockaghboy. Her parents were Francis O'Hagan and Rose McKeefrey.

Offline Cianachta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 28 January 21 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I maintain a database of families of the Gen. My Dillons were from Brockaghboy. Your James "Rosha" O'Kane, born 11 Jan 1875 in Brockaghboy, and father of Susanna was the son of Bernard R. O'Kane, b. abt 1830 and Mary Woods, b. abt 1837. Bernard died 29 Nov 1897 in B.B. Mary Wood might have been from Boleran. It is possible that Bernard's father might have been named Donald O'Kane, died 1871-1872, from info I found in Lord Garvagh's Estate records.
Sheila

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 28 January 21 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cianachta,

Welcome to rootschat

You pressed the quote button instead of the reply button, the reply button is to be found at the bottom of the thread.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cianachta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 28 January 21 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi @Sheila8

I was wondering if you are still active here on the Rootschat forum, as I would be very interested in hearing about the database of families that you maintain, especially related to the "Róise" (Roshie/Rosha) branch of O'Kanes, originally from Róise's Corner (Brockagh Road), Glenullin, (the corner close to the St Joseph's Chapel, Glenullin)? I think you have been in Dan and Mary's (R.I.P.) house, when they were still alive, and would return to the house each summer, until they sold it.

Many thanks in advance, and would love to hear from you.

I maintain a database of families of the Gen. My Dillons were from Brockaghboy. Your James "Rosha" O'Kane, born 11 Jan 1875 in Brockaghboy, and father of Susanna was the son of Bernard R. O'Kane, b. abt 1830 and Mary Woods, b. abt 1837. Bernard died 29 Nov 1897 in B.B. Mary Wood might have been from Boleran. It is possible that Bernard's father might have been named Donald O'Kane, died 1871-1872, from info I found in Lord Garvagh's Estate records.
Sheila

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 28 January 21 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Cianachta  :)

Still trying to find info on George Higgins farmer as named on marriage certificate of Bernard Higgins.....

This could be the death of George Higgins………. https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/
D/1928/95/1008/12/49   George Higgins   19th December 1928   78      Male   Coleraine

...Bernard Higgins (c1876-aft.1911), Brockagh, m.(1909 Co.Derry) Catherine Dillon.
1911 Census- Lisnascreaghog, Slaght D.E.D. (all R.C., b.Co.Derry):
Bernard Higgins, 35, farmer; wife Catherine Higgins, 26, m.1 yr., 1 ch./1 liv.;
son Hugh Higgins, 8 mo.

Children:
2.   James "Jamie" Higgins (5 July 1911 Lisnascreagh).
3.   Mary Jane Higgins (2 Oct.1913 Lisnascreagh).
4.   Patrick Joseph Higgins (Feb.1912?-26 June 1975).
5.   Bernard Higgins. (Lisnascreaghog) ?
6.   Francis Higgins. (Lisnascreaghog) ?

Links for others to see:

Bernard HIGGINS married Catherine DILLON on 28th October 1909
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1909/10033/5649412.pdf

Higgins Dillon children 1910-1919
Patrick Joseph born 8th February 1916
Bernard born 17th June 1917
https://tinyurl.com/yx8veghe

Frank born 1920……….https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/
U/1920/95/1008/17/389     Frank Higgins   22nd February 1920   Male   Dillon   Coleraine

1911 census – Higgins at Lisnascreghog
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Slaght/Lisnascreghog/591528/

Lisnascreghog townland
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/errigal/lisnascreghog/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sheila8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 28 January 21 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I have a database of many families from Glenullin,  Co. Derry including the townlands of Brockagh Brockaghboy, Lisnascreaghog and more. I checked for the parents of Michael Mullan (1868-1917), who married  1901 in Phil., PA to Matilda"Tilly" Mullan. According to my database, Michael Mullan's parents were John  "Mick" Mullan b. abt 1837 and died after 1900, and Bridget "Biddy" McCloskey b. abt 1837 also. John and Bridget married on 11 Jul 1867 in Dungiven, Co. Derry, Witnesses Pat McCloskey and Betty McCloskey. Info from vital records of Ireland. According to their marriage record, John, 30, was from Coolosky son of Michael a farmer. Bridget, age 30, spinster, resides at Cluntygeeragh, her father Michael.

Sheila Macauley