Author Topic: Garryowen Rugby Club  (Read 18923 times)

Offline Jacksir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garryowen Rugby Club
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 March 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl,

Here's the link:

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/LocalStudies/ObituariesdeathnoticesetcfromtheLimerickChronicle/Alphabeticallistingsofobituariesdeathnoticesetc/

Click on O - download - then scroll down in alphabetical order.

Yodels,

Jack

Offline Jacksir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 October 12 18:55 BST (UK) »
Just an update here:

Cheryl - unfortunately I can find no further information for you after dabbling with this for 8 or 9 months. But I'm not giving up and will continue to see if I can come up with info but it will be some time yet. However thanks to you I have been tracing the FT of the O'Connor rugby players in an ongoing project - but it was you that lit the spark. Have you made any progress?

Michael - Memphis&Phoenix indeed. Perhaps you might drop me an email at : *

Jack

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Jacksir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 April 13 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl,

Are you still working on this project? I recently came across the headstone of Honora O'Connor. I think that I have some interesting information for you.

Jack

Offline cherylg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack

Yes I.m still looking for info on  the O'Connors and their connection to Garryowen Rugby Club.

Please get back to me.

Rgds
Cheryl

Offline Jacksir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 May 13 20:19 BST (UK) »
Cheryl,

Teresa O'Connor was born on 25 June 1867. Her parents were Thomas O'Connor & Honora Culligan - they lived at 4 Athlunkard Street, Limerick. Thomas was a publican.

Teresa died on 8th May 1901 aged 31. In the 1901 census (April 1st) you can find her in St.John's hospital suffering from Rhuematic Fever. She was buried the following month under the name O'Connor - it appears that she never married. Her headstone reads "erected by Honora O'Connor in loving memory of her daughter Teresa O'Connor who died 8th May 1901, aged 31 years".

Whoever married William Guerin............it wasn't Teresa O'Connor (daughter of Thomas & Hanora).

Joseph Guerin (ref a previous post by you) died 27 April 1997 aged 65 years. He's burried in the same plot as Teresa.

So what O'Connor (and how related) did William Guerin marry?

......................I can find a William Guerin who might have married an Eileen O'Connor in 1920?

I've done an amount of work on the Garryowen O'Connors and I can't find any connection from that angle either!

Jack

Offline cherylg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 May 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack

Thank for the information.
Sorry I've not got back straight away but I have been checking what you posted.

Since I last made contact my Father in law William Desmond Guerin has sadly passed away, and we are coming over to Limerick at the beginning of June to bring his ashes to be placed in the family grave.

The family grave details tie in with what you found out.
In it are as you said are Teresa O'Connor, Lawrence David Guerin,Joseph Guerin, Eileen Guerin and Margaret Guerin. plus others which I'm not sure of.
Lawrence , Joseph and Margaret with siblings of my father in law.
Apparently the deeds for the grave are with a member of the family in Limerick.

I am thinking that Eileen Guerin ( nee O'Connor) must be a sibling of Teresa, I have found a birth for a James O'Connor ( 1871) who was also a son of Thomas O'Connor and Honoria Culligan but I can't find a birth for Eileen.
Can you help at all?
If I can get a copy of William Guerin and Eileen O'Connor marriage certificate it will give me her fathers name which might help.
Can you tell where in Limerick I can this document from?
Whilst over in Limerick I'm hoping to speak to an elderly relation to Guerin family that hopefully can shed some light on the Connection to Garryowen Rugby club.

Look forward to hearing from you soon, and thank you for all your help.

Rgds
Cheryl

Offline Jacksir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 May 13 16:26 BST (UK) »
Cheryl,

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your father in law.

I sent you a PM a couple of days after my post - did you receive it?

Jack

Offline cherylg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 17 May 13 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi ack

No I didn't sorry.

I think I've found the connection with Garryowen.

Thomas O'Connor is where the connection lies.

Can you send me the PM again please.

Rgds
Cheryl

Offline MemphisPhoenix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 December 13 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Jack - have failed to make contact with you. Don't know if you are still tuned into this thread.

Would really like to see the family tree some time. Also, if you get a chance to pick up a new book 'Reflections on Limerick' by Denis O'Shaughnessy. Available from O'Mahony's book store (on-line). There is a full chapter on the sporting O'Connor's. Very informative.

best regards
Michael