Author Topic: Garryowen Rugby Club  (Read 18908 times)

Offline BOC1974

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garryowen Rugby Club
« Reply #27 on: Monday 01 June 15 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I hope this thread is still being looked into.
I'm an O'Connor from that bunch of seven brothers.
I think Thade (or any of the other six) was my Great-Grandfather. My Grandfather was Jack who lived in the cottage beside Thomond Park with his wife Sadie - the site is the present Mayorstone Garda Station. They had two sons one of which was my father.
One brother played for Shannon and the other for Garryowen and I think it was a source of disagreement in the family. Hence I never took up the game as much as I loved to play it.
If there is any information available, I'd love to get a look at it - Family trees etc etc.
Thanks.
Brian

Offline Jacksir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 01 June 15 12:25 BST (UK) »
Brian,
Your father must have been either Kevin or John?
Your grand-mother would have been Sadie McInerney, married to Jack O'Connor, son of Jack O'Connor - one of the seven?
Thade (my grand-father) would have been a great grand uncle to you.
Jack Casey

Offline MemphisPhoenix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian

I knew your Grandfather Jack well and remember his house beside Thomond Park although I was never in it. My Grandfather was his older brother Michael (Mick). I knew Tadgh as well of course and their sister Mary who lived on the Dublin Road, was a favourite aunt of mine (my mothers aunt really). I have lots of info I would gladly share with you. This website doesn't like sharing of email addresses but if you look up my name on LinkedIN you will find my business contact details on there. Or check my company website (which is based in Germany) www.boomerang-retour.com

regards
Michael Noble

Offline BOC1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 00:53 BST (UK) »
Brian,
Your father must have been either Kevin or John?
Your grand-mother would have been Sadie McInerney, married to Jack O'Connor, son of Jack O'Connor - one of the seven?
Thade (my grand-father) would have been a great grand uncle to you.
Jack Casey

Hello Jack,
Thanks for the prompt response.
Yes, Kevin is my father who is still alive and kicking, John died just over five years ago, I'm afraid to report - in case you hadn't heard.
So Jack's father was Jack. So my great-grandfather was Jack. That clears that up. Thanks. I had always thought it was Thady -whom I now know to be a great-granduncle - thanks to you. Correct Sadie McInerney would have been my grandmother.
My uncle on my mothers side has her family traced back to the 1500s, I know that a lot of the McInerneys came from Ballyvaughan area of Co Clare.
Would you know where the O'Connors came from?
Perhaps we should private message each other in future. I'll send on my email address through a PM.
Thanks again Jack.
Regards
Brian

Offline BOC1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian

I knew your Grandfather Jack well and remember his house beside Thomond Park although I was never in it. My Grandfather was his older brother Michael (Mick). I knew Tadgh as well of course and their sister Mary who lived on the Dublin Road, was a favourite aunt of mine (my mothers aunt really). I have lots of info I would gladly share with you. This website doesn't like sharing of email addresses but if you look up my name on LinkedIN you will find my business contact details on there. Or check my company website (which is based in Germany) www.boomerang-retour.com

regards
Michael Noble

Hello Michael,
Thanks for your reply also.
That's fantastic news, I'll have a look at your website and contact you through there.
I can remember being at Tadgh's funeral - Don't ask me how old I was - but it was in St Joseph's Church - If I can remember correctly. I also remember hearing of Jack's sister Mary's death also, although that may not be a direct memory, but rather a memory of a story about her.
Thanks again for your reply,
Regards
Brian