Author Topic: Where is Cae Clogyn  (Read 20241 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Cae Clogyn
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Countrylover, I can say that it was for very very many years, that the threat was carried out.
Was I really that naughty  ::) ::) ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 March 12 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
it has been really interesting reading this thread  :)
I came across your post while searching for Joseph Guest and first wife Ann Mickmain. Joseph was my great great grandfather, and his second wife (Elizabeth Jones) was my great great grandma.
I did hear recently from my mum's first cousin that there was a 'murderer' on the Guest side of the family, and no other details. This must be the sad tale he was alluding to, about my great granduncle shooting Sydney Jones. Such a tragic story!
Can anyone please tell me how I go about obtaining the newspaper article that was printed in the North Wales Guardian dated July 5th. 1901?

Many thanks
Rachel, Wellington, NZ.
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 March 12 13:03 GMT (UK) »
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search

You can get a report from another newspaper -Manchester Evening News

on this site, but you have to buy credits.

The   resource I use  stops at 1900,

Have sent a PM

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 March 12 13:29 GMT (UK) »
See also:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,587572.msg4386805.html#msg4386805

and the  following posts - have told Rachel about the Times report.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline countrylover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 March 12 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lubok.  I have just checked my e-mail and read your post regarding your distant relative Joseph Guest.
I will try and "dig out" my copy of the North Wales paper article for you - which I obtained from visiting the Archives.

Regarding the London Gazette - I actually saw the original newspaper which is in the possession of my husband`s
second cousin and his wife.  They also had a photo of Joseph Guest standing alongside Sydney  outside the farm with a horse and some dogs - taken in happier times!!  and other bit and pieces which had been handed down.

Kind regards
Countrylover

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 March 12 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, and thanks to wilcoxon, gnu, and countrylover for your posts :-)
It's interesting that your husband's 2nd cousin and his wife have the original newspaper, one hundred years on, Countrylover! I would be glad to read any articles to find out more, and maybe see a photo of Joseph. Gnu has told me about the Times article, which is very good.
When I found out this about Joseph Guest it was getting late here - today I will try my librarys online newspaper collection to see what newspapers they have (though they probably wont have the North Wales one)

Best wishes,
Rachel.
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Bryn Golau, Cymmau.
Sydney Jones F  Single 38 head. farmer,  own account b Liverpool
Maggie F Jones dau Single 18 dressmaker own acc at home b Hope.

After her mothers death Maggie seems to have stayed in the area, in March 1904 she married Herbert Williams   in a civil marriage at Hawarden.
Herbert was a coal miner also born at Hope and was one year older .
They soon had  two  sons, William Kenneth . J. b July qtr 1905 , and Herbert Sydney b July qtr 1908
They  were living at Jersey House, Caergwrle a few years after the birth of these  boys.

Offline countrylover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 22 March 12 12:27 GMT (UK) »
My husband`s Aunty`s sister was married to Herbert Sydney. Have found my copies of the articles
which appeared in the North Wales Guardian - dated 5th July 1901 - inquest etc. There is mention of
Joseph Guest`s brother, at the Inquest, a William Guest described as "a man whose upright bearing and
smart appearance bespoke the soldier". 

Countrylover

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 24 March 12 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your messages, Wilcoxon and Countrylover  :)
Thanks for telling me about Sydney's daughter, post 1901 census, Wilcoxon. I wasn't sure who she married until you mentioned Herbert William's name.
Joseph Guest's oldest brother was William Henry Guest, b 1855 - d 21 Nov 1916 in Paddington, London. He was 12 years older than Joseph (b 1867).
My notes on brother William say:
Originally enlisted 19 Aug 1876. Then again on 4 April 1900. Was a sergeant in the Royal Horse Artillery, B.B. Battery. (No. 8444), Regimental No. 1216. Discharged 3rd April 1901 in Christchurch. Age 45 yrs and 11 months.
Had scar on right elbow.
Enlisted again 16 Oct 1914. Discharged 4 Sept 1916, age 50. Trade: Superintendent of Gardens.
Served in India for one year and four months -- source: British Army Pension Records.

It's good to know that what is mentioned about William being a soldier (in the newspaper), fits.

Best wishes,
Rachel