Author Topic: Chatham 1891  (Read 3073 times)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chatham 1891
« on: Wednesday 10 February 10 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Hoping someone can help.

Does anybody know which enumeration district Chatham Workhouse came under.
Looking the hard  way on Ancestry  it has Districts 14 to 21 but 16 is missing.Could this The Workhouse.

I am looking for the Ellingford family,Mum& Dad John & Ann with at least one child Amy who was born in the Workhouse in 1888.

By 1901 Mum & Amy are in Brighton.
They travel between Kent & Sussex several times.

Really grateful for any help or ideas

Omega (tearing her hair out)
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Chatham 1891
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 February 10 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,"Nearly Bald" Omega,
                                    I;me afraid you are out of luck . I have searched the 1901 before for the Workhouse. .It was sittuated at 42 Magpie hall Road in 1901 The census lists 41 and 43 missing out 42. And I couldnt find it listed anywhere seperately although the count must have been taken at the time,
         It eventually became the hospital in 1937 and finally was called All Saints Hospital before it was Knocked down a few years back .Housing now stands on the site.
        If you want moere info about it try thisLink. Type Medway Workhouse and Poor Law Union into seach box . Then scroll down and click on Medway
                                         http://www.workhouses.org.uk/
If you eventually find the Workhouse and missing inmates on the census can you please post so we have a ref . Thanks.
                                          Good Luck Rog
                                                   Regards Rog
PS:-

Records of the workhouse and its inmates are held at the Medway Studies Centre, whose contact details are as follows:

Medway Studies Centre
Civic Centre
Strood
Kent
United Kingdom
ME2 4AU

Tel: +44 (0)1634 332 714

Fax: +44 (0)1634 297 060

e-mail: local.studies@medway.gov.uk or archives@medway.gov.uk

WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 February 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi grandarog

Thank-you for your interest & help BUT its 1891 census.

Thank-you also for the other info.Will either phone or email Monday.

Good luck with your research.

Omega :)

Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 February 10 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Omega,
Not sure if correct workhouse but entries are available on Ancestry for  Medway Union Workhouse, Gillingham, Chatham. 1891
First inmate entries RG12/666  11/1
Title page RG12/666  folio 9 page 0i
If you find districts 14-21 and scroll down the workhouse is mentioned.
Best wishes
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 February 10 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Thank-you very much.I will start looking,could be a while but will let you know outcome.

Omega :)
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Offline Lollipop1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Omega

I'm not sure when you posted this but I think you may be asking about my great grandmother Amy Ellingford who was born in Medway Kent in the workhouse 1888 along with Ann Ellingford aged 40 and 3 other children with surname Ellingford, Harriet 14years Henry Alfred aged 8 years and Mary Ann aged 17years and Amy aged 0 all were discharged on 19th March 1888. Amy ended up in Brighton and was in the Warren Farm Home in rottingdean Brighton at the time of the 1901 census aged 12 but unsure what happened to Ann or the other children. Also having looked back at a much earlier census it appears Ann may have had other children before marrying John Ellingford as they bear different surnames on an earlier census I found but I'm not a hundred percent on this. My mother said that Amy and her mother lived in the open picking hop's to earn money for food after leaving the workhouse in Kent and ended up in Brighton.
Amy married at 17 years old in 1905 to Henry Cox and went on to have 4 children the eldest being Ellen who was my grandmother born 1907.
Hope this helps I have a bit more info but still researching her myself as Amy never said much about her childhood on my that before she passed away at the grand age of 97 in 1986 that she didn't want to go in the workhouse...that being Elm Grove Brighton...hope we are talking about the same Ellingfords

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 October 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Lollipop

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Ann who married John Ellingford was my Husbands Greatgrandmother Lydia`s sister.

They are rather complicated regarding changing their surname .Will take a lot of explaining.

I have been in contact with a chap in New Zealand,whose Greatgrandparents  were John & Ann.

I will write to him at the Week end (snail mail ).As far as I know he doesn't have the Internet at the moment .

I have a copy of Ann`s birth cert & Marriage Cent plus a copy of Amy`s Birth Cert,if I can help.

Kind Regards
omega :)
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Offline Lollipop1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Omega

That would be great if you could attach. My mum grew up very close to Amy bring her grandmother and I know from the 1911 census she lived in Bread Street Brighton with her husband and 2 of her children. My mum never knew what happened to Ann but has what she thinks is a photo of both her and Amy as a small child. I found a census for John Ellingford with Ann along with 5 children living there also but 2 of the children had surname Eaton. This was before she went in to the workhouse in Kent but only 3 of the children went then she gave birth to Amy there to....i will try to attach I did try but it kept saying error....my mum would be thrilled to bits to find out about her grans family as all these years she has not heard anything.
Thanks for your quick reply
Lollipop 

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Lollipop

RootsChat has a Private/Personal message  system .Once you have answered this ,I can send you a PM and give you my email addy,then I can send you info privately.

Do you live in the UK.I live in 1066 land  :)

omega :)
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle