Author Topic: Castleton Mills, Armley Rd, Leeds  (Read 10466 times)

Offline caza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Castleton Mills, Armley Rd, Leeds
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 13:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Coldmasta and  Sandymc47, I am not Soofie, my name is Carol and long ago l had the same questions as Soofie because my gg grandmother (Rebecca Ellis) lived at Castleton Buildings and l really was trying to find out what kind of establishment it was. She was an unmarried mother of 3 ( l think) and l thought it maybe was some kind of place for unwed mothers to go to have thier babies. Thankyou for the website on Castleton Mills.
Carol.
Ellis, Blanck, Planck, Cody, Moloney/ Maloney, Wren, Gray, Clouston, Whelan, Alford, Anderson, Pringle.

Area's: Yorkshire, County Clare, Scotland, Germany.

Offline Embsay Research

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 November 14 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Way back in 2005 you asked:
Does anyone know anything about this mill or where I might find background info?
I have a birth for Eliza Worrall listed as born Castleton Building, Armley, New Rd, Leeds 1851. Family hearsay is that her father Samuel Worrall was a factory owner who went bankrupt when the American Civil War stopped the flow of cotton into England.
Any local expertise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I don't have any info on the Mill but I know about Samuel Worrall the factory owner who went bankrupt.
Before I go into detail, please let me know if you receive this.
regards
David

Offline leopet

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 December 14 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello soofie
I am a direct descendant of that Samuel Worrall who was associated with the Castleton Mill, and his son Thomas Hirst Worrall, who emigrated to Australia in 1883.
David from Embsay alerted me to your post, which I find very exciting; perhaps you are related to Eliza Hodson, whom Samuel married in Manchester in 1836? She had a sister Harriet, who married Robert Addison, surgeon in 1834.
I hope you find my post, even though your own is now 8 years old, and respond!
I have lots more info to share, as I suppose you do by now, too!
Leopet

Offline suzejennings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hello  :) I am the manager of Castleton Mill, off Armley Road in Leeds (LS12 2DS)  and I am really keen to hear from anyone who has a connection to or information about the Mill! I am researching the mill's history and I would love to hear stories about the way of life in the mill. Please do get in touch if you would like to share your stories with me. I am planning a Heritage Open Day on September 9th 2017 and it would be lovely to remember families, the heritage and stories from the Mill. Thank you, Sue

Offline caza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 July 17 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
I seen your post and a few years ago I also posted a query about Castleton Mills. I have a great grandmother which stated on her sons birth certificate that Castleton Building was her home address. This was in 1860 and also 1875. Her name was Rebecca Ellis. Any info you have on the building and if it was for unwed mothers etc, i would love to hear from you. As I am in Australia I won't be able to attend the open day 😩 Many thanks Carol.
Ellis, Blanck, Planck, Cody, Moloney/ Maloney, Wren, Gray, Clouston, Whelan, Alford, Anderson, Pringle.

Area's: Yorkshire, County Clare, Scotland, Germany.

Offline suzejennings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol, I have seen Castleton Mill referred to as Castleton Building during my research and also how common it was for babies to be born in Mills! We are just pulling together all our stories and research about the building for the open day in September so Im sure we will have lots of things to share with you :) Do you do facebook? We are posting things we find on our group there, search for 'Castleton Mill Memories and History Group'. I will come back and post some attachments to this thread soon.
Sue