Author Topic: Children of Nellie Findlay and John Wood  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children of Nellie Findlay and John Wood
« on: Wednesday 10 February 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the children born to John Wood and Nellie Findlay. John Wood was born 5/11/1897 and Nellie Caird Findlay was born 23/6/1897. Nellie, my blood relative, was born in Cullen. She married John Wood 5/12/1916 in St. Mary's Church, Cullen. I know they have children, the main problem is I don't know who they were. I have tried searches under family names but have had no success whatsoever. I would be grateful to anyone who could find the birth of at least one or more child born to them, as I have failed to find any after various attempts. The reason I don't know who they were is because Nellie and John moved down to Leeds. I am pretty sure they had children up in the Banffshire district.
Thanks,
              Greg  ;D

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Nellie Findlay and John Wood
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 23:47 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the children born to John Wood and Nellie Findlay. John Wood was born 5/11/1897 and Nellie Caird Findlay was born 23/6/1897. Nellie, my blood relative, was born in Cullen. She married John Wood 5/12/1916 in St. Mary's Church, Cullen. I know they have children, the main problem is I don't know who they were. I have tried searches under family names but have had no success whatsoever. I would be grateful to anyone who could find the birth of at least one or more child born to them, as I have failed to find any after various attempts. The reason I don't know who they were is because Nellie and John moved down to Leeds. I am pretty sure they had children up in the Banffshire district.
Thanks,
              Greg  ;D

A death search at SP giving a surname of Wood and mother's maiden name Findlay with a birth year of 1925 +/- 10 years gives 8 results. 2 died at Banff. Perhaps a look at the names might help you decide if they are children of Nellie and John. It will also give you some names to look for births at Banff if you're sure that's where they were born.

Regards,
Nel

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 February 10 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I first searched for family names and I had no luck, so I searched for the children that died and I had no luck with that either. They were definetely born in the Banffshire County and moved down to Leeds when they were children. I know they had a daughter who was a Leeds fan, I just don't know what her name was.

Offline Hippyshake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 March 18 23:54 GMT (UK) »
If you are looking for relatives from Cullen, Banffshire there is a very active Facebook page called Cullen Past and Present. People often ask on there re relatives from the area. Wood and Findlay are local names but there is no church called St Mary's in Cullen.
Donnelly, Maguire,  Brankin, Dickson, Wallace, Cochrane, Corkran, Whitelaw, McPherson, Cummings, Gillespie

Offline gebert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
I think the old kirk in Cullen house grounds was originally called St Mary's. Not certain about this as I left Cullen in 1960.
Good luck with your searchs. Cullen Past & present is a really good site so you maybe lucky there
Bertram, Berwickshire, Gateshead/Newcastle/Durham, Australia & Canada
Campbell, Skye & East Lothian
McWilliams,Newcastle
Glass, Dunbar area

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
I think the old kirk in Cullen house grounds was originally called St Mary's. Not certain about this as I left Cullen in 1960.
That is right.

If I were you I would look at the 1939 Register for the family in Leeds. This might tell you names of some of the children. You can access it via FindMyPast.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.