Author Topic: McGowan & Rowley families Dunedin? *COMPLETED*  (Read 28077 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGowan & Rowley families Dunedin??
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 February 10 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra

Just following up on your request.   

I'm afraid I'm still unable to find anything remotely connected to a Peter McGOWAN (and variants) in NZ (and OZ).   ::)

What I have found though, is a new ROWLEY link, which may be Harriet's family  ?

*   Are you able to supply Harriet's "age at death".

*   "Years in NZ and Australia"  - from her death cert. ?

~  Lu

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lu,

Thank you for continuing to search for me. I really appreciate it.

I've tracked down the death certificate, it states: aged 75 years, born in New Zealand, lived "about" 50 years in Victoria. Her date of death is given as 20 February 1945. This might indicate arrival in Victoria around 1895. I don't know who would have been the informant as the signature is impossible to read and she definitely was not living with the family at the time. In fact my Grandfather (her son) received a telegram informing him of her death. I don't know whether the family even attended a funeral service as it was held only 2 days after her death including an inquest. I know that she is in an unmarked grave and don't know if that is because of money issues with the family or it was arranged through the benevolent home she was in at that time.

Anyway that's about all I know at this stage. I would be the happiest person in the world if you could help me track her down!
Thanks again,
Sandra
 :)
Compton: England (Hampshire, Surrey), Australia
Bentley: England (Lancashire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire), Australia
McGowan: NZ, Australia
Rowley: NZ, England, Australia
Salvin: NZ, England, Australia
Von Lehenner: Germany, England

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Do you know where Harriet is buried?

Perhaps the cemetery record could shed a little light.

When you say 'his parents are supposed to be' Peter and Harriet, do you mean there is some doubt? or are you definite. :)

As Lu says there is not  a thing on NZ BMD. ???

Regards
Leandra
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leandra,

Harriet is buried at Fawkner. I've tried them previously and they have no additional information.

The reason I said "supposed to be" is because no-one ever met Peter, even his son didn't remember him so we wonder if that was really the name of the father or not. With Harriet it's her maiden name that we wonder about. The only place we have seen it in writing is the marriage of her son Frederick. There appears to be absolutely no other record of her background.

I've just taken another look at Fred's marriage certificate and he has stated Christchurch as POB not Dunedin. He was probably just as confused then as we are now!

Keeping my fingers crossed~~~
 ???
Compton: England (Hampshire, Surrey), Australia
Bentley: England (Lancashire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire), Australia
McGowan: NZ, Australia
Rowley: NZ, England, Australia
Salvin: NZ, England, Australia
Von Lehenner: Germany, England

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

If your mystery isn't solved by Friday (chances are it will be with Lu on the case :))
I will look at the Christchurch Library Index cards just in case there is something there for Fred.

Regards
Leandra

Added,  No sign of Fred on the Chch index cards at the library :)
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra

Since that information was supplied to you back in 2008 (other forum), we've had the benefit in the last year of being able to access slightly more informative records through our BDM online.   A couple of things I've recently found, have (hopefully) provided a lead or two, to follow.   ;D

I've already mentioned here that there was no birth record for "a Harriet Amelia ROWLEY".   

There was however a "Harriet ROWLEY" whose birth was registered at Dunedin in 1864. 

1864/ 5181 - ROWLEY - Harriet    

(Wasn't there a link to Dunedin that an Uncle had found many years ago ?)

I realise an "1864" year of birth doesn't quite equate with the age (75) given at Harriet's death, but maybe the (unknown) informant has just made an educated guess at her age ?
It's helpful anyway, that New Zealand is confirmed as her birthplace on the d/c.

more - next post  > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Harriet ROWLEY - continued

I wondered when I looked at Fred's Army record (online), why he might have given only his Mum's first christian name (if in fact she'd had the additional name of "Amelia".).   Just a little thing, that struck me as being rather odd.  :D
[Also the Army enlistment form seems firstly to have recorded N.o.K. as "Mrs Ellie McGOWAN"  ... with "Ellie" being struck through later and replaced with (just) "Harriet" ? ]

The conclusion I draw, is that "Amelia" may well be a name that Harriet herself added ?

[Also, on checking the birth record for Harriet's niece (Dorothea - born 1898) it has her mother recorded as being "Louisa Emily".    [Louisa's birth (1867) - her marriage to GASKELL (1914) and her death 1938, all record her as simply "Louisa" ?     Not such a big deal, but just thought it worth noting.   ;D ]

see next post >>

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 09:59 GMT (UK) »
...   The most helpful thing to have come from our online BDM, was the birth registration for Louisa ROWLEY (1867), which fortuitously, also included the names of her parents.
[Normally parents names are only shown for the births after about 1875.]

1867/10449 - ROWLEY - Louisa

Parents:    Elizabeth and James

Place of registration - Cobden (near Greymouth) West Coast, South Island.
                                          - - - - -

I know you're a bit dubious about what the relationship was between Harriet and Louisa, but I have a real feeling that they are very likely sisters (rather than being related thru marriage as you'd, I think, earlier suggested.

I've followed up on a "James ROWLEY" (a somewhat colourful character  :D) whom I think is very likely the father of Louisa.    [This same James, is also present in Dunedin around the time of Harriet's birth.]

more to follow    > > 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra

Hope I'm not bamboozling you with all of this ?   ;D
[I'm posting in sections, so hopefully it is easier to follow ? ]

Obviously you would need to purchase the birth printout for the "Harriet ROWLEY" born 1864 at Dunedin to see if parents match those for Louisa.

Unfortunately, NZ birth records prior to 1876, carry only minimal information - child's name / where & when born / father's name (occupation is NOT listed) / mother's name and maiden name / signature, description and address of informant to birth :

Link to BDM  >>

http://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Home

I'll go ahead and add the information I have for "a James ROWLEY" (it's preferable to do it now whilst I have my "head around it" and notes at the ready.)  :D   Fingers crossed there's a connection to Louisa and Harriet - but if not, the "adventures" of James, still make for some interesting reading.  :D

~  Lu