Author Topic: Royal Lunatic Asylum of Montrose  (Read 7025 times)

Offline Blandy

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Lunatic Asylum of Montrose
« on: Thursday 11 February 10 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I wonder if anyone can give me any information on the Royal Lunatic Asylum of Montrose.
I have found in 1881 a Adam Calder aged 44yrs born Latheron, address: Sunnyside, Montrose, occupation: Shoemaker......does this mean he was employed to work in the Asylum as a shoemaker......or do you think he was an inmate???

Isabel
Hendry, Calder, Griggs, Edwards

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Lunatic Asylum of Montrose
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 10 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isabel

The 1881 census entry does not give for anyone on that list what the relationship was to the head of household (normally would show as patient/ inmate etc.). However, the 1891 census at the Montrose Royal Lunatic Asylum does:

Adam Calder, 54, patient, Shoemaker on Admission b. Swiney, Caithness

A little bit of background on the asylum here www.dundee.ac.uk/museum/medical/sunnydays.htm

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skeld

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 March 10 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I discovered some time ago that the records from Sunnyside are held in archives in Dundee. I managed to find several pages of case notes for my grandfather, who was a patient in the 1890's. Knowing the date/year of admission is useful for finding individual records. This link may help, or put you in the right direction.

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/archives/archman.htm

Jim.

Offline riogirl71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 March 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I discovered some time ago that the records from Sunnyside are held in archives in Dundee. I managed to find several pages of case notes for my grandfather, who was a patient in the 1890's. Knowing the date/year of admission is useful for finding individual records. This link may help, or put you in the right direction.

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/archives/archman.htm

I have a death certificate of a relative that died there in 1875.  I tried searching here:
http://arccat.dundee.ac.uk/dserve/dserve2/search/search.html

but came up empty - is this where you searched?

Any help is much appreciated!

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 16:44 GMT (UK) »
You'll need to contact the University of Dundee's Archives to get access to the records, as they're not online.  The catalogue will show which records are held, but not the content of the records, so searching for an individual's name won't show anything.

The records of Sunnyside are held under reference THB 23, with admission details and other patient records appearing within THB 23/4.  The Archive staff at Dundee will be able to help you, if you tell them what you want to know!  Their contact details can be found here.