Author Topic: Margaret 'Peggy' Kennedy (the object of Robert Burns' tribute)  (Read 2233 times)

Offline CobaltBlue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret 'Peggy' Kennedy (the object of Robert Burns' tribute)
« on: Friday 12 February 10 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Kennedy was born in 1766, the daughter of Robert Kennedy of Daljarrock and Grizel Cathcart. 

My research has shown that while Margaret was in her late teens, she had a romance with Colonel McDouall, the Laird of Logan.

It appears that Margaret gave birth to McDouall's child (a girl?) about 1786 (opinions seem to differ on this date). McDouall rejected his new fatherhood, so legal steps were taken and Margaret was eventually awarded about 3000 pounds.

Margaret died very young in 1795. I can find no reference to her child, and her brief Will of 1801 makes no reference either. 

Does anyone know the name of the child and what became of him/her?

Many thanks
ROE - Ugthorpe/Egton/Glaisdale - North Yorkshire
ROE - Langley Park/Esh/Witton Gilbert - Co Durham
REILLY - Langley Park/Esh/Sacriston - Co Durham
REILLY - Co Monaghan - Ireland

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret 'Peggy' Kennedy (the object of Robert Burns' tribute)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 February 10 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Still chasing his illegitimate offspring I see.

Some background on Colonel Andrew McDouall (1758 - 1834) to help others:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=m0fvcugcd6sanh5g3bq2cu9lc2&topic=387245.0
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline BrigOdoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 May 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
I have just found this thread, after having posted on another about the child of Margaret Kennedy and Andrew McDouall.  Margaret Kennedy was my great great aunt.

The following information is taken from my family tree, and  information from a document prepared for a Petition for service of heir of provision and transfer of lands in the waterhead and others by John Cathcart Christie, 1916.

Helen was born on 21st January, 1794. She married in 1829 to Louis F. Chaumont, in Avocat, Paris. Louis was a teacher in Edinburgh, and later they moved to England.  They had 4 children, 1.  Eugene Achille Theodore, b. 8 October 1828, 2. Francis, m. Ellenora T. Gray and had issue, 3. Alexander, 4. Anna Kennedy, b. 8 October 1834,  unmarried.  The family are listed in Scotland Census records.
Helen died on 17 March 1875 in Hampshire, England.

Offline Nadine Stah White

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
Just an added comment that as well as writing the poem/song 'Young Peggy' as a tribute to her, Kennedy was also the inspiration for Burns' lovely song 'Ye Banks and Braes o' Bonnie Doon'.