Author Topic: Jeremiah Grant (the highwayman)  (Read 7706 times)

Offline mainave

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jeremiah Grant (the highwayman)
« on: Sunday 14 February 10 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi coming to Ireland in June and am an ancestor of John Grant (formerly of Tipperary) can anyone recommend ways of finding out more about Jeremiah Grant (the highwayman) while I am there :) 

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah Grant (the highwayman)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 10 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat  :)

I can't directly help you about your highwayman except to suggest that if there is a library in Tipperary, maybe you could email them with your question.  G**gle for the library's email address.

Hope you have a great time in Ireland.

charlotte

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Greetings, mainave

A good start would be to have this moved to the Tipperary board.  ;)

Jamjar

Moderator's Note: moved to TIPPERARY board
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 10 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi mainave, Welcome.
I presume you have seen this .
If not, the person can be emailed.
The research seems extensive going back several generations.
Two of his sons ended up in Australia with their Uncle John ( brother of Jeremiah).
Interesting reading for anyone trying to help you.

http://www.grantonline.com/grant-family-genealogy/Tipperary/Moyne/jeremiah_grant.htm

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 17:20 GMT (UK) »
The Execution of Jeremiah Grant. (part of ) (Portlaoise Labrary records)

1 o clock on the 13th August 1816 was the time appointed for Jeremiah Grant's execution.
The sheriff, hoping for a respite, humanly waited as long as the mandate for death would allow him. At 3 o clock, Grant sent for  Thomas Parnell esq to talk and prepare for death.
Crowds poured into Maryborough, every window that  had a view of the gallows was occupied and every roop-top also.
Grant stood before them with manly firmness and calm countenance, he bowed and smiled.
He called out " my friends, be silent" "Mr sheriff, such is the noise that people make, they cannot hear what I intend to say"
( a speech followed)
The board did not fall suddenly from under the feet of the convicts, but kept a standing position, so they slopped down, but though there was no shock, Grant died without struggle, seemingly without pain.
They hung for three quarters of an hour and his body was encased in a coffin and delivered to friends for interment.
Jeremiah Grant is buried in Hackets lane in Maryborough, now called Railway st. His grave is on the left hand side, inside the gate and is covered with stones.

The 'Robbers Well' (Tobar A Ghadaighe) called after Captain Grant, the robber, who was finally hanged in Maryborough in 1816, is on the New rd in Portlaoise. It is said to have curative properities in it's water.

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 10 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Always amazes me that people read the rubbish I write! - the grantonline.com website is mine. :)

You will find it worth your while visiting the Parish Priest at Loughmore, Templemore,
Co. Tipperary,

The Local History Section of the County Library in Thurles is worth a visit too, and the staff are both knowable, approachable and helpful

If you do find out anything that I have not on my web site, then do let me know
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Geniemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 September 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Always amazes me that people read the rubbish I write! - the grantonline.com website is mine. :)

You will find it worth your while visiting the Parish Priest at Loughmore, Templemore,
Co. Tipperary,

The Local History Section of the County Library in Thurles is worth a visit too, and the staff are both knowable, approachable and helpful

If you do find out anything that I have not on my web site, then do let me know
I've been doing some research on Jeremiah Grant. I am the researcher at Abbeyleix Heritage House and for Culture Night I've an exhibition planned on the folklore of the area. Captain Grant was a topic of great discussion among the children of Abbeyleix in the 1930s. I was hoping to use your website as a background to the Grant story if that's ok with you? He was a really interesting character.

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 September 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
. I was hoping to use your website as a background to the Grant story if that's ok with you? He was a really interesting character.

Feel free, that is what my web sites are  for :)
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 September 18 21:06 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.