Author Topic: KENNAUGH, Robert George Henry  (Read 6619 times)

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KENNAUGH, Robert George Henry
« on: Sunday 14 February 10 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I have been asked to try and help find the details of the parents of a Robert G H Kennaugh, who living in Douglas in 1940 was killed at Dunkirk serving with the Merchant Navy.

Listed as living at 60 (possibly No 6), Woodburn Square, Douglas, Single at the time of his death.

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: KENNAUGH, ROBERT GEORGE HENRY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 10 09:59 GMT (UK) »
CWGC   records    say    age   22  years   &   so   I   shall   check   birth   cert.  details   this  next  week   at   Registry.

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: KENNAUGH, ROBERT GEORGE HENRY
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 11:26 GMT (UK) »
CWGC   records    say    age   22  years   &   so   I   shall   check   birth   cert.  details   this  next  week   at   Registry.

Thanks Voirrey, I have searched through Ancestry, and couldnt find a strong match.  Some additional info I have found suggests that he may have been a US citizen, moved to the Isle in 1923 but again, nothing concrete.

Phil

Online Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: KENNAUGH, Robert George Henry
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 10 14:20 GMT (UK) »
have KENNAUGH, G., 60, Woodburn Square, Douglas. Engineer.-Lost in " Mona's Queen." as per Examiner Annual (tho don't think there was a 60 - most addresses only go to high 30's)- see http://www.manxnotebook.com/famhist/genealgy/ww2.htm - Mona's Queen and King Orry were lost by enemy action 29/30th May 1940 with the loss of many crew on Mona's Queen which hit a mine outside Dunkirk Harbour on 29 May 1940 and sank within 2 minutes
There are some photos of it going down
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
have KENNAUGH, G., 60, Woodburn Square, Douglas. Engineer.-Lost in " Mona's Queen." as per Examiner Annual - see http://www.manxnotebook.com/famhist/genealgy/ww2.htm - Mona's Queen and King Orry were lost by enemy action 29/30th May 1940 with the loss of many crew on Mona's Queen which hit a mine outside Dunkirk Harbour on 29 May 1940 and sank within 2 minutes
There are some photos of it going down

Thanks Frances, I think my contact Bronwen, already has this info from you via the manx board.  It this info that has had me look for a G Kennaugh rather than a R. G. H. Kennaugh, and has led me to the fact that he might have been an American born to a Manx Father and American Mother, who came back to the UK / IOM in 1923.

The plot thickens.

Phil

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 February 10 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I   agree  with   Frances   6   not   60 .  The   houses  in  the  square   go  from   1   to   30 ++   on   3  sides  .  The
4th   side   of   the  square   along  a  main  road  was   called    WESTVIEW with  sep.  numbers.

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 February 10 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Strangley, I couldnt find any reference to a Woodburn sq on the 1911 census, or in Google Maps.  Is it also known as Woodbourne square

Online Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 February 10 16:11 GMT (UK) »
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 February 10 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Frances, just checked the 1911 census, and its not inhabitated by any member of teh Kennaugh clan at that time..

P