Author Topic: Steen family  (Read 30236 times)

Offline RichardinMichigan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Steen family
« Reply #36 on: Friday 11 December 15 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I've discovered an autosomal DNA link to Andrew Steen (b. ca. 1818 - Co. Londonderry and  died 21 Aug 1898 in Philadelphia, Pa.) and his wife, Jane with whom he traveled to Philadelphia, arriving on 4-28-1847.  The J. J. Cooke Line's records show that Andrew was of "Racecourse."  The parents brought with them three children, Thomas, 3, Alexander, 2, and Jane, 3 months old.  It's probably not a poor guess to imagine that they named their eldest son after Andrew's father - Thomas - and it's interesting to find in the Londonderry Sentinel mention of the death of Thomas Steen of Racecourse, who died 12 Apr 1863 at the age of 84.  Also, the Irish will calendars show the death of a Thomas Steen "late of Racecourse, Shantallow, County Londonderry, who died 11 Dec 1902.  Looking at the 1901 census there is a Thomas and Letitia Steen, both aged 70, living in Shantallow townland.  The LDS familysearch.org has (but GRONI does not) the marriage of Thomas Steen, son of Thomas, to Letitia Ramsey, daughter of Robert, in Co. Londonderry on 12 Jan 1848.  It appears possible that all three of the Thomas Steens (putative father of Andrew, father of Thomas of 1848, and the one who died in 1863) are one in the same person.  Has anyone looked into this group of Steens -- they are somehow genetically tied up with my Cochrane ancestors from the Limavady area.  Thanks! -- Richard Cochran

Offline 16downunder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 07 February 16 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steen Family! I've just found you... I'm one of the New Zealand Steens... I am a grand daughter of Samuel Lamberton Steen, b 01 Dec 1909 Londonderry, d 25 Oct 1991 Auckland... He came out on Corinthic arriving Auckland 25 August 1926 (ex Southampton I think)... (his parents being Thomas Steen b 05 Nov 1879 Ture d 23 May 1951 & Violet Agnes Steen nee Burns b 25 Oct 1886 d 19 Sep 1947).

On Grandpa's birth certificate (Samuel Lamberton Steen) of which we have the original, it shows place of birth as 7 Rock Buildings, then there's a word I can't read - an area of Londonderry maybe? looks like Drama... I have attached a copy of the birth certificate... anyone know...?

Another thing my Dad (Sameul Gordon Steen, known as Gordon - b 19 March 1930 Cambridge Nursing Home, Hamilton Road, Cambridge, d 06 Oct 2015 North Shore Hospital, Milford, Auckland) told us was this branch of the Steen family lived at some stage both in Nicholson Place and Nicholson Square in Londonderry...

Thanks to others of this branch for details of siblings of Samuel Lamberton - that's filled in a few gaps. One of the siblings we had down as Nancy or Phyllis - but I've read somewhere she may be Annie Douglas? also was an Eileen which I haven't found anything on... and a John Wiley which I've got noted b 1916 d 1918 (so an infant at death)

We also have that same photo of this branch of Steens arriving in Auckland on 25 August 1926 on the Corinthic...

Would love any more info anyone has on this branch of the family, or links...

Thanks alot

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 07 February 16 23:41 GMT (UK) »
The address looks like 7 Rock Buildings Strand (the Strand Road area)?

Here's the family in Nicholsons Square in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_Urban__1_/Nicholsons_Square/601360
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline 16downunder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 08 February 16 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, that was quick!!! I think you're right about the Strand, after going through more of my Dad's documents (Samuel Gordon Steen, son of Samuel Lambert Steen), Dad has written a few things down about the family and one is that Samuel Lambert was born 7 Rock Buildings, Strand, Londonderry... so one more thing acquired to the knowledge bank

Thanks again, anything else you have or pointers appreciated

Offline Jason Newald

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 21 April 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
This site is awesome! my Grandfather is in the Corinthic arrival picture too, he's the little chap at the bottom centre. George Steen 1919-1985.

Offline Darian Zam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 01 February 18 00:31 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if he is a relation, but David Harvey Steen married Agnes (Nancy) Acheson in Auckland, New Zealand. Nancy Steen was an artist and considered a world authority on roses. She published a book, as well as had a book published about her, and there is a memorial rose garden in the city.