Author Topic: Lost HAYLON/ HALION/ HALIAN/ HEALION Sisters  (Read 9797 times)

Offline ToH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lost HAYLON/ HALION/ HALIAN/ HEALION Sisters
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Shipping record - I know you probably have this but thought it worth transcribing. It would seem there were many passengers on this ship joining convict parents.  The only 'new' piece of info is a different spelling for Patrick's wife's parents.

Success arrived Sydney 17 Dec 1849

HALIAN Patrick, 36 Labourer, can read
Native Place: Kill West Meath,
Parents: Thomas and Mary, both died (this has been crossed out) and 'Father living in Sydney' written in. Father Thomas Halian per ship Cambridge, tried at Phillipstown, living
Bodily health, strength and possible usefulness: good

Wife: Bridget, 34, farm servant, native place Kill, West Meath, parents James and Bridget Caton? (both dead) RC, cannot read or write, no relations in colony.

Children : James 12, Bridget 11, Mary 6, Catherine 4, Thomas 1

HALION Honora 26, Mary 24, Bridget 25, all from Kill, none can read or write, all with parents Thomas and Mary - father living at Goulburn Plains, Thomas Halion per ship 'Cambridge', tried at Mullingar, Honora and Bridget listed as good health etc, Mary listed as 'clubfooted'

HALION Thomas, all details the same except can read,  also states under "Complaints" - 'sister with complaints that she did not get porper attention or the requisite allowance of medical comforts'  Doesn't say which sister!

Looking at Victorian BMDs 1836-1891 the only HELION I see is this marriage:
Marianne HELION = Joseph DE GILLE 1857 reg 4083
Tried Helian, Haylan, Haylen, Haylin, Halion, Helin, Healin

Judith

Offline ToH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 20:31 GMT (UK) »

These names are same as Hugh Helion and wife Mary children from Rahan,Tullamore King's Co. 1829.

Are you referring to Phillipstown King's Co.?

When did Thomas die or age of death.

The other names you refer too seem to have King's Co. organs.

Tom.

Offline ToH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 March 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »

These names are same as Hugh Helion and wife Mary children from Rahan,Tullamore King's Co. 1829.

Are you referring to Phillipstown King's Co.?

When did Thomas die or age of death.

The other names you refer too seem to have King's Co. origins.

Tom.

Offline Historyseeker2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Sorry I've only just spotted your message.

Yes it is Philipstown kings co.

We know that Thomas and Mary's last child was baptised in Westmeath in 1827. Mary would have been heavily pregnant when Thomas was convicted.

I know very little about Thomas and Mary.

I have been trying to put together a one name search for Halion but I'm extremely time poor at the moment.

Chat soon

Offline TomásÓH

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
That is fine HS nice to here from you again.
I think a name search would be great, maybe some other family members would contribute as I do not have contact with them.

This looks to me as Thomas,Mary and the children were In a very poor position 1827.
I have been researching and am under the impression that the (TITHE WARS) 1815-32 were behind these family's moving to Aus. Like many thousands of Irish were evicted from their holdings. It happened with another Helion family in Offaly at that time. If Thomas was tried in Phillipstown then he must have been from the area Killoughy as the only main road runs from that area to the nearest barrack Phillipstown as Tullamore was closer,did not have a jail until 1830-40.

The Childerns names are all the same as the offaly names and Bridget is used a lot in the Killoughy family as after the St. Bridget who visited there in i think the 8th Century and the local church is named after and a holy well nearby on her way to Galway.

Thomas may have pleaded guilty to get a free pass for him and his children to Aus as was the case with many people after the famine.

The Fox's are based in Clara in the barney of [Far cell], they did marry into the Helion famely 1816 in Killoughy this was an unusual marriage!    the name Honora is also found in this are 1891.

In resent years I have researched the name back to the 11th century and found some interesting events in witch the family were involved. I have to say that the helions followed a cretin pattern so it makes it easy to match up information, names , places and associations.

Hope this is of help HS.

Regards Tom.

Hop this is of help to you HS. 

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 June 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
I have been  unable to trace a Mary HENLEN who also arrived in the colony in 1849 according to her death certificate.  I'm wondering if this is possibly your Mary HAYLON?   Mary married in Bathurst in 1852 to Joseph Fawcett.  Just a possibility.  Thank  you, J.

Offline ToH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 June 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi guys I was sent this today and (highly recommend) this for anyone interested in the back ground places and traditions, people of this area including the Healions/Helion. The History of Ballyboy, Kilcormac and Killoughy, by Reverend William Shaw,Available at Offaly History Centre only 5 euro. Only for July and while stocks last. Also online from 1 July at our shop on www.offalyhistory.com .It covers the years from ab.1648 up to the 1970’s. I have studied this book and have used it for cross reference the Irish side of the Healion/Helion family. It also has sketch maps witch are very helpful as to cross reference with maps like the  (Down Survey etc). The areas mentioned above are the areas where the irish Healions/Helion first set up so if you start your research their one should understand the migration into other areas from [Fer Cell] into Westmeath and the west. There are other publications that can be used to complement this book also availed so I recommend reading this one first. There are indexes of local family’s names as well on it, so you may want to research them as well as many emigrated together during the famine and turn up on citizen registrations and other records.

My regards

Tom.

Offline Historyseeker2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 30 August 18 04:09 BST (UK) »
I have been  unable to trace a Mary HENLEN who also arrived in the colony in 1849 according to her death certificate.  I'm wondering if this is possibly your Mary HAYLON?   Mary married in Bathurst in 1852 to Joseph Fawcett.  Just a possibility.  Thank  you, J.

Hi J,

Do you have any more information on your Mary? Marriage certificate or death certificate? Maybe parents names or ship she arrived on?

I did have a Mary Halion go to Bathurst she married her second husband there and is buried at Bathurst cemetery under Mary Havenhand.

Any extra information would help me search the records I have.

Kindest regards
HS