Author Topic: Llanddewi Brefi  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Llanddewi Brefi
« on: Monday 15 February 10 19:53 GMT (UK) »
On the 1841 census for Tregaron, Cardinganshire [HO107/1375/14/3/7] my great grandfather David Edwards was listed as aged 5 at home with his parents Thomas Edwards, aged 24, with occupation of ag/lab; Mary, 24 and siblings Ann, aged 8 and Sarah aged 3.  The family was residing at a property named Tyrhoe Uchaf, Gogoian, Llanddewi Brefi, Cardigan.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to try and identify the address for me and if there is any information on the place I would appreciate any details.

Thanks in advance
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llanddewi Brefi
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 10 22:12 GMT (UK) »
'Tyrhose Uchaf' is my reading of what I found in the manuscript; probably an Anglicisation of Ty'r Rhos, Ty Rhos, or Ty'n Rhos. Haven't tried finding it in later censuses, which is a possible plan.  ???
                       Pinot

Offline aletan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 10 22:22 GMT (UK) »
hi
Gogoian on the Ordnance Survey map Landranger 146 Lampeter & Llandovery is spelt Gogoyan.
This turning is approximately 1 mile out of Llanddewi Brefi towards Llanfair Clydogau on the B4343 to Lampeter. (turning west towards the A485) The bridge over the river Teifi is called Pont Gogoyan.
Uchaf in English means upper or Higher.
Hope this will help you
Best wishes from
Aletan

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 10 02:19 GMT (UK) »
hi
Gogoian on the Ordnance Survey map Landranger 146 Lampeter & Llandovery is spelt Gogoyan.
This turning is approximately 1 mile out of Llanddewi Brefi towards Llanfair Clydogau on the B4343 to Lampeter. (turning west towards the A485) The bridge over the river Teifi is called Pont Gogoyan.
Uchaf in English means upper or Higher.
Hope this will help you
Best wishes from
Aletan

Many thanks Aletan, when I first saw the name my initial thoughts were 'it sounds like a homestead or farm' "Ty Rhos Uchaf" would sound about right, but is it that's the big question.  Anyhow, thanks again for your help.  Regards, Roy

anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline aletan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 February 10 12:16 GMT (UK) »
hi
I carried on checking for you.
I found a Tyn rhos in the correct area on the Old map through Genuki /Llanddewi Brefi. it also tell you about the township of Gogoyan.
The old map showed TynRhos was Left over the bridge of Gogoyan and then first right up a hill. the turning is before the farm of Gogoyan
Hope this may be of help.
keep searching from Aletan

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 February 10 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate all the help I get.
Many thanks, Roy