Author Topic: Rathgar Road (then ) Co.Dublin  (Read 26276 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Rathgar Road (then ) Co.Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 February 10 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm going to have a look around tomorrow and see if a few of the terrace signs are visible.

I presume the Grant family at that address on the 1939 electoral register are connected ?

re Fontenoy Street... I'll have a look at 1904 later and see it they are still there

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 February 10 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane

The 1939 Grants are indeed connected, and the family left the house in early 1940s
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 February 10 17:27 GMT (UK) »
corisande

1904 Thoms lists an Edward Joseph Mallins esq M.A. (TCD) at the Rathgar address. There's also an entry for

Mr. Thomas Grant, inspector D.M.P., 7 Newbridge Ave

(the same road where my grandparents lived for a while)

8 Fontenoy street has a Mr. William Brewster

If this is the correct person, an 1889 DMP list shows him as Station Sergeant, in Mountjoy station, D division

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 February 10 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Shane

Thanks. That is he - I have his complete police record, its just the houses that I am trying to tie up. I thought that they moved to Rathgar Road before 1904, but only based no notes made by my grandfather before he died (he was Thomas Grant's son)

Small world with Newbridge Av. As this thread is about Rathgar Road, I will not add the photo of Newbridge Av I have on this thread, but you can see them here and show my family standing outside 7 Newbridge Av around 1890, and I took a comparison photo last year, place has not changed much, although the glazing bars on the windows have gone over the years.

I was interested in this tread as I too am trying to find out something about the history of Rathgar Rd. and am watching to see what emerges here.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 February 10 19:19 GMT (UK) »
back to Rathgar...

the list below is based on details included in a newsletter of the Rathgar Residents Association (http://www.rathgarresidentsassociation.ie/) in Nov 2008, from details compiled by Fred Dixon in Feb 1984.

As far as I can see from examining Thom's and more recent maps, the numbers start at the west side of the road at the Rathmines end at 1 and continue along that side as far as the Terenure Rd junction. The numbers then continue back down the road from the Highfield Rd junction (at the Presbyterian Church) with number 109 down the east side of the Road to 196. 

I will confirm if the current numbering system is the same.

I have scanned some 1848 Thom's details on Rathgar, including some basic history and a street listing at :

Description of Rathgar     Street listing page 1   page 2

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 February 10 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Shane

Many thanks for that most useful table. It does not detract from its value to me in that I already deduced some entries from scraps and bits because it confirms some of my deductions. Further I agree about the numbering system which I have already adopted.
I look forward to any further nuggets IF you have the opportunity to walk part of the Road but hope you feel no pressure to do so

Many Thanks

Quaxer

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 February 10 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Corisande

Thank you for your input. From the Irish Times from 1859-1901,unfortunately I have only one entry for No.24 Rathgar Road which I give below.

August 20th 1878 an advert. on Page 8 shows that a residue of furniture was for auction.

Regards     Quaxer

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 February 10 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the lower section of Rathgar Rd this morning, both sides of the road from the Servants' Church down to the Rathmines end, but did not see much in the way of old terrace or house names. Although the separate terrace structures can be detected (as per the table mentioned earlier), I could not see any visible terrace name engravings of the type I have seen on other buildings in Dublin City.  A number of the houses, particularly on the west side, seem to have been re-faced, and others have relatively rough-cut corner-stones where the terrace name would, I believe, sometimes be carved.

The only familiar name from our previous discussions was an old house-name engraving on Malakoff Villa, which was located on the east side, near to the location of the terrace on the 1848 map. It seemed to be un-numbered but around 184/185.

I was able to confirm the numbering system - number 2 being on the west side almost opposite the junction with Rathmines Rd upr, and across the road (next to the Garda Station) is number 196.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 February 10 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Shanew

Thank you for taking the trouble to walk up the Road today. I well remember in childhood cast iron plates bolted to outer wall of terraces especially on the south side.
While the table you provided is of great help, I fear that I'll have to return with more queries for the same road

Regards      Quaxer