Author Topic: Thomas Callaghan  (Read 12922 times)

Offline Gibby1968

• My email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Callaghan
« on: Wednesday 17 February 10 16:41 GMT (UK) »
I've finally established that my Irish 3x great grandfather was Thomas Callaghan. He married Ellen Melia on 25 July 1867 in Oristown, Meath, Ireland.

So far I have four children including my 2x great grandfather.

What I'd like to do now is try and trace Thomas' birth. I'm afraid I still don't have much to go on but I'm guessing he would have been born sometime in the 1840's.

Any tips please?

Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Callaghan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Church records (since there will be no birth certificates before 1864). You can try to narrow down the approx. birthdate a bit by age on death certificate and age in any census records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gibby1968

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I can't search for that as I haven't a clue ???

I only found out for definite the other day that he is my 3x great grandfather.  I received the baptism record from St Mary's Navan.

The document says there is no marriage listed for that parish between Thomas Callaghan and Ellen Melia :(

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Marriages usually take place in bride's church so Thomas might have been from another parish.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gibby1968

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I should say that the baptism is for my 2x great grandfather Michael.  Sorry for the confusion :-[

Offline green girl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 June 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
Just saw your post about Butterstream. My father was born in Academy street in Navan which was previously known as Butterstream.  Hope this information is useful and helps with your search.

Offline Gibby1968

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 June 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks ;D

Offline ForeverEnding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hey,

Callaghan is a common name around Oristown and I am a decendent of the Oristown Callaghans and spent most of my summers there, but whether the same ones is to be found out. I am also researching my family history but haven't got that far back yet. I was wondering what Thomas' children's names where and whether one of them might be my great grand father?

Offline Gibby1968

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 12:22 BST (UK) »
This is the information I have so far from birth certificates and information found online.

My 2x great grandfather Michael was born/baptised on 19 October 1870 in Navan, Meath, Ireland.  No birth certificate could be found for him when I applied so maybe he was born before registration began in Ireland ???

Then I have Margaret born in Butterstream, Navan, Meath, Ireland on 9 March 1874.

Christina was born on 2 March 1876 in Buttersteam, Navan, Meath, Ireland on 2 March 1876.

I was also told about a Josephine born the same day.  No birth certificate found for her so maybe Christina and Josephine are one and the same?

Thomas was born in 1877.  No birth certificate found for him either.

Ellen was born on 30 August 1879 in Navan, Meath, Ireland.

I knew nothing of the above siblings until someone contacted me last year asking about Michael and his parents.  She told me about the other children and I then applied for the birth certiificates.  I am not in contact with her now.  No idea what happened there ???  We exhanged a few e-mails and then I nothing from her again.

I do know for a fact that my Michael married Julia Gerrard on 16 January 1898 at the Catholic Chapel of Navan, Navan, Meath, Ireland.  He and his wife had one son, John Thomas, born on on 11 November 1898.  He married Ada May Moreton and died on 8 July 1952.

I have a lot more information on my immediate family but if you can tell me anything about Michael or his parents I would be very grateful ;D