Author Topic: "CURRIE"  (Read 7065 times)

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"CURRIE"
« on: Thursday 18 February 10 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Can any one help me with the Currie surname.  I have an Elizabeth Currie in the 1851 census born abt. 1848 in Glasgow, Renfrewshire but staying with her grandmother in Red Row, King Street, Calton, Lanarkshire.  The grandmother is down as Sidney Carrie (on ancestry) should be Currie aged 56 born Ireland.

I have tried to find an OPR birth for Elizabeth to find her parents names but no luck.

Also on the census down as Stirret (on Ancestry) David Stirrat, Jean Stirrat and their children William 3 and Jessie 1.  Jean is Sidney's daughter. 

Can anyone connected with the Currie or Stirrat family shed light on Elizabeth? or anything else. Thanks Evelina.
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: "CURRIE"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 10 10:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a DC for Sidney on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk in the particularly helpful year of 1855.  This attempts to list all her children in addition to naming her place of birth as Belfast.  It further states she had been in Glasgow for 30 yrs.  The informanat was a son.  It would certainly be worth your trying to unravel the list of her children to try and pinpoint the parents of your Elizabeth.  It's also not impossible that there might have been a Poor House application on one or more of these family members at one time.  That might also be an avenue to explore.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 10 10:40 GMT (UK) »
That is lucky with the 1855 death year for Sidney, Jean  :)

Evelina, do you know what religious denomination the family were? The OPRs are only for the established Church of Scotland (ie presbyterian). There are some possibilities for baptisms for Elizabeth Curries in the right period in Glasgow on the Roman Catholic registers now included on Scotlands People.

Have you been able to follow through this Elizabeth on the later censuses? Do you have any more about her life?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 10 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica & Jean.  I have Sidney's dc and the 1841, 1851 census's and worked the family from that but still cannot find Elizabeth.  She may have died before the next census or moved somewhere I cannot find her.  Not all children were named however.

Not sure of religion but believe not catholic as future generations are not.  But not sure 100%.  Sidney is from Northern Ireland, maiden name Wade and is buried in common ground in the Glasgow Necropolis.

I just hoped someone was doing the same tree.  I will keep looking.  Cheers Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 10 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear that.  I was really hoping the DC would give you the clue you needed.  Have you also exhausted the Glasgow Poor Relief records a I suggested?  Hope someone comes along with more family info for you.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Ok...couldn't leave this one alone! ;)

Ran a search for deaths of *li* Currie 1855-1881 just as a ballpark.  Born 1848 plus or minus 2.  In Lanarkshire.  There were just 3 results.  The second one in 1874 surely looks like your girl as her aunt Jane Stirrat was the informant and father was named Matthew. 

Not so hard to find afterall!  :)

Best wishes
Jean

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 10 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean, Thanks for that, I totally missed that one.  It is her. I will delve into that now.  i am also stuck with Jane Stirrat nee Currie (The Aunt of Elizabeth).  I have jane or Jean right up to 1875 with husband David.  But cannot find death certs for either of them.  Jane born abt. 1817 in Belfast and David abt. 1816 in Glasgow.  I have their 5 children and the last mention of them is on mc of son William in 1875 where they are shown as still alive.  They were on the 1871 census certainly but no trace after that, still at 27 Tylefield street.  As we now know still at 27 Tylefield street on Elizabeth's dc.

Thanks again Evelina

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 February 10 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

David's DC is in New Monkland in 1878.  It states that he was a widower so that narrows up the window for Jane.

Hmmmmmm.......I'm not finding her though....but if it's at all helpful I do have her alive and informant on the death of their daughter Jessie 9 Dec 1876.

I have one of those unfound deaths with a very concise time frame too.  I know your frustration!!!

Best wishes
Jean

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 February 10 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean, I cannot find a dc on Scotlandspeople for Jessie Stirrat 1876  can you tell me where the death was registered? Thanks