Author Topic: Looking for information on the Fallaize family, Jersey  (Read 11977 times)

Offline unibrat82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for information on the Fallaize family, Jersey
« on: Friday 19 February 10 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hey everyone

I am looking for information on the Falliaze family of Jersey. My 4th great grandmother Francoise Falliaze was born about 1822 in St Helier, Jersey. She married my 4th great grandfather William Thomas Tramp.

I don't know much more about them.

Andy

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on the Fallaize family, Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 10 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Do you want census information

William Tamp 48 master mariner b St Helier
Fanny 49 wife b ditto
Thomas Charles 18 son sail maker b ditto
Helena Anne 13 dau scholar b ditto
Jemima Alicia 10 dau scholar b ditto
Edwin Francis 8 son scholar b ditto

41 Clearview Street St Helier
RG10 5758/86/29

Would this be the correct family
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline unibrat82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 10 13:19 GMT (UK) »
any census information would be fantasic.

this is the right family

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 10 14:17 GMT (UK) »
RG9 4398/69/33
same address as 71
William Thomas Tramp 38 mariner b St Helier
Fanny 40 wife b ditto
Sarah Jane 15 dau milliner b ditto
William Joseph 14 son scholar b ditto
Mary Fra(abreviated) 12 dau scholar b ditto
John Charles 11 son scholar b ditto
Thomas Charles 7 son scholar b ditto
Helena Ann 3 dau scholar b ditto
Jemimah 8mths dau b ditto
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
HO107 2527/31/10

40 Sand Street St Helier

William Tramp 27 seaman
Fanny 29 wife
Sarah J 5 dau
William J 3 son
Mary F 2 dau
John Ch 7mths son
all born St Helier

Offline unibrat82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 February 10 20:38 GMT (UK) »
many thanks

andy

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 March 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure what the etiquette is here for replying to an old topic, but I'm doing so in case anyone is still interested, or in case anyone finds this topic in future.

Fanny or Françoise FALLAIZE is the eldest child of Thomas & Fanny FALLAIZE.  She was baptised 26 Aug 1821, at St Helier.  Rather oddly, she appears twice on the 1841 census: once with her father and some of her younger siblings; and once with her brother-in-law Pierre JACQUET, her sister Jane (or Jeanne) JACQUET née FALLAIZE, and brother John.  I'm pretty sure this isn't a case of two Fannys of the same age, because they would also both need siblings of the same names and ages, and the baptism records do not suggest there is more than one Fanny.  I expect she normally lived with her father, but on the night of the census was visiting her sister, and as a result was included twice.

Thomas FALLAIZE & Françoise JOSSELIN were married at St Helier on 3 Dec 1820.  I have nine children for them, baptised between 1821 and '37 at St Helier, and each gives the mother's maiden name as JOSLIN.  Those children are:

• Fanny / Françoise (bp 26 Aug 1821; m William Thomas TRAMP; 10 children)
  • Thomas John (bp 2 Feb 1823; m Louisa TRAMP; 11 children)
  • Jane Esther (bp 8 Mar 1825; m Pierre JACQUET; 3 children)
  • John (bp 20 Aug 1826; bur 2 Nov 1829)
  • Mary Jane (bp 12 Oct 1828; m Louis Jean François MASSON; 3 children)
  • Betsey / Elizabeth (bp 20 Jun 1830; 1 illeg child; m John CRONIN; 7-9 children)
  • John Lewis (bp 2 Dec 1832)
  • Rachel Ann (bp 10 Apr 1836; m Edwin HILL; 2 children)
  • Ann Sophie (bp 31 Dec 1837; m James STONEHAM)

Fanny FALLAIZE (née JOSSELIN) does not appear with Thomas on the 1841 census, which might ordinarily suggest she died between 1837 and '41.  However, on 23 Jun 1850 a Thomas FALLAISE and Françoise JOSSELIN, his wife, stood godparents to Mary Françoise MASSON, daughter of their daughter Mary Jane.  On the 1851 census, Thomas appears living with his eldest son, Thomas, and is described as a widow; yet a Fanny FALLAIZE appear elsewhere on the census with the two youngest daughters, Rachel and Ann, and Elizabeth's illegitimate son, Elisha.

Thomas is described in the census as a mason or house builder, and born in Guernsey in about 1796.  (Note there is a second Thomas FALLAIZE living in Jersey at the time: according to the 1841 census that other Thomas was born in England, 1801-06.)  Fanny is shown as born in St Saviour, Jersey in about 1800.

I have not tried to trace Thomas FALLAIZE further back as I haven't yet found time to visit the Priaulx Library in Guernsey to consult the registers and their transcripts.  However, there are plenty of lines published on Ancestry.com that do go back much further.  I won't reproduce any of them here, but one of the better researched ones appears to be the one by Wendy Johnson (user: wendyjohnson235).  If that's accurate, you get a link into the well-researched TOSTEVIN family (via Thomas' great-grandmother, Judith FALLAIZE née TOSTEVIN), and you then stand a good chance of getting back to Nicholas TOSTEVIN (b 1470, Brittany).

Françoise JOSSELIN or JOSLIN is a bit of a mystery.  The only baptism I can find in Jersey is in 12 Jan 1809, at St Saviour, for the daughter François & Jeanne JOSLIN née MELET.  But unless she were an older child when baptised (which, of course, is possible), that makes her far too young.  There's a clue, however, in another JOSLIN family.  On 28 Mar 1819, John Thomas JOSLIN was baptised at St Helier, son of Jean and Elizabeth Marie JOSLIN née INGRAM; his godparents were Thomas FALAIZE, Pierre VAUDIN and Fanny JOSSELIN.  It seems pretty likely this is "our" Fanny JOSSELIN and her soon-to-be husband, Thomas.  At this time in Jersey, godparents seem usually to have been uncles or aunts, so it makes sense to wonder whether Jean and Fanny might be brother and sister.

We can find John JOSLIN on the 1851 census, together with three of his children, and assuming that's the right person, the census says he was born in 1797 in Grouville.  That matches a baptism on 1 Apr 1796 at Grouville for Jean GOSSELIN, son of François and Jeanne GOSSELIN née KELLY.  I think it's likely that GOSSELIN and JOSSELIN are the same basic name, and if I understand WIkipedia's article right, there's a tendency to replace 'J' with 'G' when writing Jèrrais.  The only other child I can find for that couple is a daughter, Jeanne, baptised 28 Dec 1794 at Grouville.

I do wonder whether Jean née KELLY and Jean née MELET might turn out to be the same person.  It's hard to believe either surname could be a mistranscription of the other, but possibly she had had both surnames by having been married before?  I cannot find any sign of a marriage between François and Jeanne with any maiden name, but marriages at Grouville are not yet on-line anywhere.  Hopefully a trip to the Jersey Archive will one day resolve that question.

As with much family history, this probably raises more questions than it answers.  But I'd love to hear from anyone researching this family.

Richard Smith

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 01:32 GMT (UK) »
I have solved the mystery of Françoise JOSLIN's parents.  The 1809 baptism at St Saviour reads as follows:
Françoise, fille de François Joslin & de Jeanne Melet sa femme, née le douzième Janvier mil sept cent nonante neuf, a été présentée au saint baptême par Matthieu le Marchand & Susanne Sebire, le vingt sixième novembre 1809.
So she was born in on 12 Jan 1799 but not baptised until 26 Nov 1809.

Offline Jim Lewis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard A Smith
Likewise in the possibly vain hope of anyone still reading old threads, but I stumbled upon this whilst researching the history of the Lewis family, who for one or two generations in the 1800s, seem to have migrated from Tavistock Devon, to St Helier, and then onto Southampton.  In particular, my 3rd great grandfather was a JOHN FALLAIZE LEWIS, baptised in 1835 in St Saviours, St Helier to a John Lewis and Grace Turner.  Our family has often wondered about the origin of Fallaize, but we can see that the godparents were Thomas Fallaize and Francoise Joslin.  I can't find evidence that these were related, but I have heard that godparents often were relations.  Interestingly Richard, I see from your records that Thomas and Francoise had a son called John Lewis, born around the same time?  I can only think that the families were close - unless you can shed any further light on the connection?  Many thanks!