Author Topic: Bousfields in Orton/Westmoreland  (Read 3699 times)

Offline johnb_tampa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bousfields in Orton/Westmoreland
« on: Saturday 19 March 05 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I am clearly connecting back and validating to Stephen Bousfield (b 21 Oct 1757) in Orton (married Mary Burra)but have some different leads going back beyond him. One has his parents as John(1729)/Agnes Wilson and G.parents as Stephen(1680)/Agnes Crosby the other has his parents as John(b1734)/Agnes Harrison and G.parents as Michael(b1695)/Agnes Smith.

I have no clue why they all married Agnes either? Can anyone throw some light on this?

Thanks John
Surnames - Beaumont, Bousfield, Dixon, Tidmas.  Locations - Orton, Hull, Watford, Silvertown.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bousfields in Orton/Westmoreland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 05 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Agnes was a very common name in those days.  A variant of Ann.   Look at the naming pattern for any children of these couples and see if the names continue down through the generations.  eg are there Michaels in your known family?   Stephen may well have been named for his grandfather.   Have you looked for wills?    Even the poorest families sometimes left them.   Looking at the original parish records is a must as there may be notes in the margin - look at the burials too as then you might be able to discount some of them.
Good Luck
Andrea

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 17:12 GMT (UK) »
John
You may already have this but here goes:

I have that Mary Burra's parents are William Burra of Holesfoot, CR and Ruth Bousefield of Gaysgill Row, Orton.  They married in Orton in 1749 and Ruth was a spinster.

So it seems possible that Mary was marrying a relation.  This might help you to establish your connection.
regards
Deborah

Offline johnb_tampa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 07 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Deborah,

Yes I already have Ruth Bousfield - but I have not been able to determine where (which Bousfield line) she came from.  I am convinced that coming from Orton, she is my line also so I think Mary is marrying a second cousin (at least).

Are you on a Bousfield Tree?

best regards
John
Surnames - Beaumont, Bousfield, Dixon, Tidmas.  Locations - Orton, Hull, Watford, Silvertown.

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 March 07 12:55 GMT (UK) »
John
My interest is Crosby Ravensworth.  I have no particular interest in the Bousfields but I am more interested in the Burra family.

Is there any connection between the Orton family and the KS family?

Do you have any access to Orton parish records? or an index?   Research into CR obviously means I need information on surrounding parishes as well.  I struggle most with Orton.

Sorry I don't have any useful info.
Deborah

Offline johnb_tampa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deborah,

No unfortunately I don't have any area Parish Records but you can see my tree at http://www.johnbtampa.tribalpages.com/ password "philippa" which does have some Burra's on it.

regards
John