Author Topic: Paul Henry Gustav Forster (FOISTER) , Ludwiglslast, Germany and London  (Read 4619 times)

Offline James - Cornwall

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paul Henry Gustav Forster (FOISTER) , Ludwiglslast, Germany and London
« on: Saturday 20 February 10 12:35 GMT (UK) »
~~~~~~~~
I am trying to find out about an ancestor called Paul Henry Gustav Forster b.c. 1847 in  Ludwigslast, Germany. He married Emily Smith in Croydon, England on 5 November 1868. Paul Forster was a painter & decorator, and apparently painted the murals at the Palace of Mecklenburg in Germany. We have also heard that he painted the 'all seeing eye' at the Grand masonic Lodge in London. Paul Forster died in December 1900 after an accident at Mansion House Station.

I understand that his father was called William Foister

I would be very interested to find out anything about Paul Forster's parents  or brothers and sistrers , or any details about when he came over to England.

Many thanks
James
BERRYMAN
KITTO
HONEY
JAMES
TREWERN
DINGLE
EDDY

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Henry Gustav Forster (FOISTER) , Ludwiglslast, Germany and London
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi James,

I wonder if this 1867 census of Ludwigslust, Mecklenburg Schwerin (taken on Dec 3rd) is interesting ... (Please say his dad was a shoemaker!!  :D)

Wilhelm Förster, 1814, Schuhmacher Meister (Master Shoemaker)
Helene Förster, 1814, Ehefrau (wife)   
Wilhelmine Förster 1844 Tochter (daughter)
Frida Förster, 1850, Tochter (daughter)
Henriette Förster 1852 Tochter (daughter)
August Förster 1854 Sohn Schüler (son, scholar)
+ assistants and an apprentice

All Försters citizens of Mecklenburg Schwerin and of Lutheranian faith, all children single.

additional sheet for the people whose usual address is in the household but who are absent on census day:
Luise Förster, 27, Lutheranian, single, (absent > 1 year) Holstein, likely place of stay on census day *Iendorf
Louis Förster, 24, Lutheranian, single, (absent < 1 year) Holstein likely place of stay on census day Itzehoe
Paul Förster, 21, Lutheranian, single, (absent < 1 year) England likely place of stay on census day Manchester
Alexander Förster, 19, Lutheranian, single (absent < 1 year) likely place of stay on census day Malchin

The crossed out places are in the column headed citizen of Mecklenburg-Schwerin or other country. Mecklenburg-Schwerin ticked for all of them, the other places are obvioulsy mentioned in mistake.

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Just adding a snippet - 1900 census for Ludwigslust

Helene Förster, female, widowed, born 3 April 1815 at Malchin, occupation pensioner, living Ludwigslust, Lutheranian, mother tongue German, German citizen.

And 1900 census for Crivitz
Louis Forster, male, married. Born 21 April 1843 at Ludwigslust, occupation self-employed merchant, living Crivitz, working Crivitz. Mother tongue German, citizenship German.   
Lina Förster, wife, born 26 May 1842 Penzlin. 

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline James - Cornwall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 February 10 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I was so excited to read your replies. I think that it looks highly likely that you have unearthed my Paul Forster's German family.

Thank you so much!

Is there any way of discovering what Helene Forster's name was before she got married?

Thank you again for your excellent help.

James
BERRYMAN
KITTO
HONEY
JAMES
TREWERN
DINGLE
EDDY

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 February 10 08:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I have no idea - sorry  :-\

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline James - Cornwall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 21:27 GMT (UK) »
If anyone knows of any way to find out Helene's maiden name, I'd be thrilled to hear from you!
James
BERRYMAN
KITTO
HONEY
JAMES
TREWERN
DINGLE
EDDY

Offline doidy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 18 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi James.
Have you made any progress with this family? My late step mother was a desc of this line. Paul had a daughter  Violet who was my step mothers grandmother. Are you a direct desc of Paul?
OI look forward to hearing from you Doidy

Offline fanitot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi James
I researched this family a while back for a very good friend, and decided today to have another look at them.  I am 99% sure that the 1867 German census family in Ludwigslast are them.  The father is a shoemaker, and PHG is missing, probably in England, not sure about Manchester though!! It looks like all the rest of his siblings may have stayed in Germany, but I am certainly going to check the German records.  My friend was also told of his painting the "Eye" in the Masonic Hall.  Something else to maybe check is for any naturalisation records, which could give a clue as to when he arrived over here.  I will certainly let you know if I find out anything more on the family.  PHG is my friends Gt Gt Grandfather, she is descended from Dorothy Forster.  I will double check who, but one of the Forsters had smallpox, and was confined to a Floating hospital in the Thames at London whilst afflicted with the disease, his face turned black whilst he was ill.  Oh, and if 1867 is the correct family, his mother's maiden name was Hanne Magdalene Christine Weijer (Weyer).  Lots of German records now available on Ancestry.
All the best
Jane

Offline doidy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am intrigued by the ref to the "Eye " painting, do you know any more or have a photo. My step mother is the gt granddaughter of PHG Forster so I am following this link with interest. She descs through his dau Violet Forster. I would be interested in hearing from any other Forster descs.
Thank you Doidy