Author Topic: 17th Century Will  (Read 1072 times)

Offline knowlite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
17th Century Will
« on: Saturday 20 February 10 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a Ancestor's will from the 17th Century.( Richard Anthony)

I find it impossible to read and would  like a translation.

Cheers

Derek.
 ;D
Shropshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Rutland.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 17th Century Will
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 10 17:55 GMT (UK) »
You should not really post entire will for copyright reason

We can give you a start but you will have to learn the hand
There is one word I can't make out

In the name of God Amen
I Richard Anthony of Eaton in the pishe of Ledbury yeoman and diesses of Heriford being
sicke of body but of good and pefect memory thanks be given to God doe make and declare
this my last will and Testament eaven the twenty fyeth day of ffebruary in the ffinth(?)
yeare of the reigne of our Soveraigne Lord King Charles Anno 1633. ffirste I give and
bequeathe my soule to god my maker and redemer by whose meritte I hope to be saved and
my body when god shall appoynte the time to be buried in the pishe churchyard of Lidbury
and concernyngr my worldly goods I give and bequeath to my sonne Richard Anthony Tenne
pounds to be paid him when he is the age of one and twenty if he be culed (??) by his
mother or els but Tenm shillings Item I give to my daughter Anne Anthony seaven score
pounds if shee be culed(??) by her mother and her freinds or els but Ten pounds Item

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 10 18:08 GMT (UK) »
...Item I
give unto my brother in lawe John ap Owen his three children five shillings apeece Ite(m)
I give unto Elizabeth Shipman five shillings Ite(m) I give  unto my brother Roberte his
daughter Mary Anthony five shillings Ite(m) I give unto Thomas Powell five shillings
Ite(m) I give unto Richard Powell five shillings All which sevall sonnes of five shillings
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Copyright-Editor

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 February 10 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Only small portions may be posted to assist with deciphering handwriting.

You can ask if someone can transcribe this for you, but please do not post complete documents from the National Archives.