Author Topic: Robert GIRLING b. Ipswich 1844.  (Read 7092 times)

Offline AliMacD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert GIRLING b. Ipswich 1844.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 October 16 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am researching someone who worked for Robert Girling, Joseph Lart Willis Randall, who was a carpenter. I would love to see any photos you may have of Robert or the work place in Wellington Street in Ipswich.
Regards
Ali

Offline Deborahpratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 April 20 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, Robert Girling was my Great grandfather - my mother was Muriel (Mollie) Rose, nee Girling Smith, daughter of Alice Girling Smith, daughter of Robert. I am using lockdown to catch up with some genealogy I always "meant to do", not sure I can really help with your questions but would be very pleased to get in touch!
regards, Deb

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 April 20 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Deb, welcome to Rootschat. Good to have contact with someone who is on my Girling tree!

As I said in the first posting, my great great grandmother Hephzibah was the sister of Robert Girling.
I still have not identified the family members on the photograph and if I can find how to send a copy to you via private message, perhaps you would be able to identify your grandmother Ellen Alice & her husband William Smith.

Hephzibah
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline Deborahpratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 April 20 20:41 BST (UK) »
Oooof.  Not sure about that, I never met William, and "Granny Smith" was a frail little old lady who died when I was.....in the Upper Third.....so aged 12.....so in 1964.  I remember a pair of photos of an old gent and an old lady in a mob cap who I was told was Granny Smith's parents.  I wonder what happened to them?  there was a bit of a family crisis and the contents of the house ended up auctioned with no reference to most of the family in the 1990s.  Sad.
But happy to try if you can send me the piccie, you certainly have my permission if needed!
regards,
Deb

Offline CollinsofMelton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 May 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is a bit of a long shot but I'm trying to trace a Girling - possibly Abraham - who married one of my ancestors, Mary Ann Collins. I don't have much info other than Mary Ann was born around 1809 in Halesworth, and that they had a son called William, born 1854. 1861 census shows Mary Ann Girling as a widow and living with her father, William Collins, a millwright in Framlingham, so Mr Girling must had died between 1853 and 1861. Might not be one of your clan, but worth a try!!