Author Topic: Waterford - Dungarvan - LANDERS  (Read 14483 times)

Offline anniebannie1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Waterford - Dungarvan - LANDERS
« on: Saturday 20 February 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've been researching my family tree since 2003 and I have suddenly hit a blank wall.  I am searching LANDERS of Kilminion South, Dungarvan.  My great grandfather was THOMAS LANDERS b 1958 m 1904 CATHERINE NUGENT.  I have all this family and his brothers and sisters info. 

The problem is going further back to my great-great grandfather JOHN LANDERS m ELLEN TOBIN.  I have no idea where he is from.  The only info I have is from Griffith's which states a THOMAS LANDERS held land in Kilminion.  THOMAS LANDERS was JOHN'S father.

Has anyone a connection with my family tree or know where I can turn to, to find out this info.

:D
DUNGARVAN/ABBEYSIDE, WATERFORD:LANDERS & TOBIN
WICKLOW: DORAN & FLOOD; CORK CITY: HEGARTY & MURPHY; MACROOM, CO CORK: MCSWEENEY & LUCEY

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford - Dungarvan - LANDERS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 10 07:53 GMT (UK) »
For what its worth. From 'The Waterford War Dead' to be published late this year.
LANDERS, THOMAS.  Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment.
Unit; 2nd Battalion. Date of Death:27-September-1918. Service No:16255. Formerly he was with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers where his number was 30656. Born in Stradbally, Waterford. Enlisted in Dublin while living in Dungarvan, County Waterford.  Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference:I. B 19. Cemetery: Moeuvres Communal Cemetery Extension, Nord in France.

Perhaps you might find his records on ancestry.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 10 11:20 GMT (UK) »
as the details you are looking for are before civil registration (1864), you will need to research Church records to find further details. Unfortunately there are no parish records available online for Co. Waterford at the moment that I know of.

The location of these records will depend on the religion - Catholic records are available on microfilm in the National Library in Dublin, and most surviving Church of Ireland records are held in the Representative Church Body Library in Rathfarnham, Dublin. Waterford libraries also seem to have a good collection of historic records.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
You could search the Directories for County Waterford in Dungarvan Library, they have many from before 1860, you might find information there.

Offline anniebannie1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 10 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I think I need to plan a trip to Dungarvan to really have the resources to find info.  There isn't too much on the internet.

Regards

Anne :)
WICKLOW: DORAN & FLOOD; CORK CITY: HEGARTY & MURPHY; MACROOM, CO CORK: MCSWEENEY & LUCEY

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 February 10 18:58 GMT (UK) »
From Death records Waterford County council website. Died  9th Nov. 1884 John Landers, Kilminion,age 23, farmers son, unmarried, informant his father John.

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 10 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Also from the same source, John Landers, Kilminion, died 15th Nov. 1896 aged 85, Farmer. informant James Landers his son.

Offline anniebannie1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 February 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Vasaborg,

I've just been onto the County Libraries website that you recommended to me.  Wow!  It's like a hidden gem.  Still need to find out where he's from though.  At least i've a timeframe to search around 1811!

Thank you so much

Regards

Anne

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 March 10 20:02 GMT (UK) »
From "Ballysaggart GAA remembers "1985. J Landers had 3 acres at Knockaday, Ballysaggartmore in 1865,  another J Landers had 24 acres at Knockaunarest , Ballysaggartmore same year 1865.