Author Topic: John wells or walls 1876 looking for parents  (Read 31798 times)

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: John wells or walls 1876 looking for parents
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

I have Laurence's death certificate (1867) which gives his father as Michael Wells. There was only one Michael Senior about at the time and he had quite a few other children (1841 census) . I have found certificates for a couple of them (James and Peter) which gives their parents as Michael Wells and Mary Ann Gibson.

Michael was from Ireland and must have come to Scotland in the early 1800s. There is a Dumfries Kirk Session record for him and Ann Gibson in 1807. I have not been able to trace them in Ireland yet

My link is to a possible brother of Michael called Arthur Wells (Walls) who fathered an ancestor of mine called William Wells in 1818. Laurence had a child called Arthur who died in 1855 at the age of 9.

I would be delighted if anyone has come across this part of the Walls/Wells family and can shine any light on where they may have come from.

Wells or Walls, Lundy or Lundie, Greer or Grier

Offline happygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 April 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Wattnb
My gr.gr.grandmother Rachel Mc Murdo m. Thomas Walls 1877
her parents James Wells+Margaret Mc Murdo m1865 his parents Michael Wells+Mary Ann Gibson.
Thomas Walls parents are John Walls +Elizabeth Kirkpatrick,Johns Father named as Laurence.
I have found some names on the catholic records that might be of interest to you.
Michael Walls+Ann Gibson had a son William b.1829 Trench Dumfries
Arthur Walls+Sarah Kennedy had a son Michael b.1837 Trench Dumfries
Arthur Walls +Mary McKeanna had daugh. Margaret 1826
I have not been able to find out where in Ireland but will keep trying there are other walls names on record if i can be of any help let me know and i will do my best to help

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 April 10 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have the info on Arthur Wells and Sarah Kennedy (thanks). I believe that their children Ann and Michael were living with Michael Wells (from Ireland) in 1841. N B There was at least one other child living with Michael other than his own children (who was his Grandson) listed on the census in 1841. There is also another Irish Walls/Wells family in dumfries in 1841- Patrick and Elizabeth- where the Arthur name crops up again.

Re the Ireland connection, I wondered if there had been a name alteration when they came over the sea. The name Walsh/Welsh is very, very popular in Ireland.

I will also keep looking and will post here if I get any more info.

Best wishes

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 April 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
Laurence Wells death cert in 1867 gives Michael Wells as his father. There is only one Michael Wells (or Walls) listed in Dumfries around the first half of the 1800s - the one who married Ann Gibson. I hae not found his married but have the records of birth of most of his children (except Laurence who married Martha)

Laurence was in Edinburgh in 1861 with his ´"Uncle" Laurence Walls. That would indicate that Edinburgh Laurence and Michael Wells were brothers.

I also have the Edinburgh Laurence´s death cert in Edinburgh in 1884 which gives his parents as John Walls and Bridget McEwan or McKane.  This Laurence was married to Bridget Finnigan who died in 1866. Laurence then remarried a Margaret Fraser. He was remarried by the 1871 Census.

I think where I come in is that Michael and Lawrence possibly had a brother called Arthur who married Sarah Kennedy in 1833. Either that or Arthur was a son of Michael or Lawrence. The name Arthur pops up in all the Irish Walls families in dumfries at the time. It is interesting that Arthur´s children were called Michael and Ann!

Offline sharon22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 August 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been looking into my family history for long time.  Not managed to get far with fathers mothers side of family.  I think looking at the posts you have made, I may be linked somewhere.  But must admit to getting a bit confused to some of the information.  My x2 gt grandmother was Annie Walls b.1843 Dumfries.  Her parents were John Wells and Elizabeth Kirkpatrick.  looks like this John and Elizabeth fit into the information you have given I think.  Annie and Walls married John Saunders had 9 children.  If anyone can help or would like to get in touch please do, I have not managed to come across anyone researching same family tree as myself yet.
Brown - Portpatrick, Irvine, Ayre, Blantyre areas
Walls- Dumfries areas
Young- Dumfries areas
Sanders/Saunders - Dumfries, lothian, areas
Billyard/Billiald - East Markham areas
Stacey - East Retford, Markham Moor, East Markham, Nottinghamshire
Taylor - East Markham area
Walters - East Markham area
Thompson - East Markham area
Taylor - New Boilingbroke
Whitworth - Elston, Notinhamshire
Kemp - Harby, Nottinghamshire
Lawrence - Sheffield area

Offline happygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 August 11 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon
I think your Annie and Thomas would be brother and sister it would be interesting if you have any more information on John Walls and Elizabeth Kirkpatrick as I am stuck with them.
All I have is Johns Father as Laurence Wells/Walls as the name changes  on certificate and no mothers name
Elizabeth's father's name is Thomas Kirkpatrick and no mother on certificate
in 1901 census at 8 Queensberry St Dumfries
father Thomas Walls age 54 think this would be Annie's brother
son John Walls age 23
       John Saunders age 64  this would be Annie's husband
look forward to hearing from you hope this is of use to you

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been looking into my family history for long time.  Not managed to get far with fathers mothers side of family.  I think looking at the posts you have made, I may be linked somewhere.  But must admit to getting a bit confused to some of the information.  My x2 gt grandmother was Annie Walls b.1843 Dumfries.  Her parents were John Wells and Elizabeth Kirkpatrick.  looks like this John and Elizabeth fit into the information you have given I think.  Annie and Walls married John Saunders had 9 children.  If anyone can help or would like to get in touch please do, I have not managed to come across anyone researching same family tree as myself yet.

Hi Sharon,

You may have it already but here is Anne´s marriage cert.

Offline sharon22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for copy of the marriage certificate, this is on that I have now. It's John and Elizabeth that I am now stuck on.  Oh well,
thanks
sharon
Brown - Portpatrick, Irvine, Ayre, Blantyre areas
Walls- Dumfries areas
Young- Dumfries areas
Sanders/Saunders - Dumfries, lothian, areas
Billyard/Billiald - East Markham areas
Stacey - East Retford, Markham Moor, East Markham, Nottinghamshire
Taylor - East Markham area
Walters - East Markham area
Thompson - East Markham area
Taylor - New Boilingbroke
Whitworth - Elston, Notinhamshire
Kemp - Harby, Nottinghamshire
Lawrence - Sheffield area

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 January 12 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi sharon,

I have just come across the death certs for John and Elizabeth which I had previously viewed but not used as they are not in my line. Do you want me to send them to you?
Norma
 :D