Author Topic: ? re passenger lists/rellies coming back  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Vida

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
? re passenger lists/rellies coming back
« on: Sunday 21 February 10 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I wonder if someone knows how passenger lists were drawn up. Did each passenger have an information form of some kind to fill in and then the information was transferred to the passenger lists some of which we now have access to? The information is often detailed so I find it hard to believe they filled in the information as they came on board ship  ;D.

The reason for this query is I have been looking for relatives returning from USA between 1911 and 1914. I believe the father stayed behind and only his wife and two children came back. I have found a UK incoming passenger list which sort of  fits ie:
Wife's name & approx age fits,
year of return fits (beautifully!)
Younger child name & age fits exactly
Elder child name WRONG (not even close!) age spot on, sex WRONG
It says they are a subject/citizen of USA (English born - they would have been in USA abt 2.5years)
It says their final destination is "Foreign Countries" (final destination was infact here)

Now, if there was an information form and the information transferred there could be "transcription" errors (which we all have come across!!) which would certainly account for some of the differences. Am I clutching at straws in thinking it is them ?????

Any thoughts and comments would be most welcome.

Vida