Author Topic: Scargill/Leather/Kaye/Gill families in Emley  (Read 8757 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Scargill/Leather/Kaye/Gill families in Emley
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 14:34 GMT (UK) »
It does begin to look as though intermarrying and consequent in breeding was widespread in the 19th century and earlier.Thanks for reply.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Redroger, I have several first cousin marriages. However, I have over 10,000 people in my tree, many living in small villages, so although I don't think it was unusual it is a minority rather than being widespread.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Amongst my Cambridgeshire ancestors intermarriage is the rule rather than the exception.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline nemley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 January 11 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
Just seen your message re Scargill and Leather in Emley. My GGrandmother was Sophia  Lawton 1860, who married Benjamin Scargill 1860 (after having given birth to my Grandmother) and her mother was Jane Leather 1833. My ancestor Ann Parker 1757 married Richard Gill in 1778. Inter-marrying in small communities, you bet!
Parkers of  Emley.

Offline Emley1786

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 January 11 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to the inter-marriage connections: if your Jane is the one baptised 5/4 1833 at Emley dtr of William & Susannah Leather, then her brother Thomas baptised 1837 married Jane Scargill (c1837-1893) in 1860 at Emley who was the second cousin (once removed upwards) of Benjamin Scargill (1859-1940). Thomas Leather died in 1881 and his widow Jane then married her first cousin John Scargill, then a widower, in 1890.

I didn't know that Sophia Lawton had a child prior to her marriage to Benjamin Scargill in late 1884. I only have their daughter Sarah Jane Scargill (b. 1886) on the 1891/1901 census at Emley who married John Richard Lewis in 1906. I  note the birth of an Ada Lawton was registered 1Q 1882 in Wakefield RD where the vol/page reference (9c 3) would fit for Emley.
Scargill (all spelling variants): C12th to present day - worldwide
Rothwell/King-Irwin/Blake/Fry/Barnardo: C19th-C20th - Ireland

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 10:22 GMT (UK) »
nemley, I have William Lawton marrying Jane Leather in 1852 (from FreeBMD so I don't have a date) with Sophia Lawton being baptised at Emley on 12 Jun 1859.

Can you please give the details of Sophia's child before she married Benjamin Scargill.

I have not got as far back as 1700s but I have Jane Leather's parents as William Leather and Susannah Parker, who married at Thornhill on 4 Oct 1832.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Emley1786

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Sophia Scargill (nee Lawton) was buried at Emley 13 Nov 1912 aged 53
Susannah Leather (nee Parker) was buried Emley 21 Mar 1876 aged 74. On the 1851 Emley census, Susannah was aged 50 and it states she was born at Emley. William Leather would appear to have died before the 1841 census was taken - couldn't see any burial at Emley in the period 1837-41 from a quick look on the NBI. Another child of William & Susannah was Sarah baptised 17 May 1835 and buried 17 Feb 1837 aged 1 at Emley.
Scargill (all spelling variants): C12th to present day - worldwide
Rothwell/King-Irwin/Blake/Fry/Barnardo: C19th-C20th - Ireland

Offline trefriw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 January 11 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Re families intermarrying.
Rachel Blakely's mother was the sister-in-law of my g.g.grandfather (John Taylor). Rachel's sister Emma married the grandson of another of John's sisters.

Taylor: Whitley/Thornhill,Yorkshire
Bean: Helpston,Northamptonshire/Yorkshire
Denton: Thornhill/Thornhill Lees,Yorkshire
Grason: Thornhill/Thornhill Lees,Yorkshire
Hill: Ufford,Northamptonshire/Yorkshire
Kaye: Lepton/Whitley,Yorkshire
Sykes: Lepton, Yorkshire

Offline nemley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 January 11 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Emley1786 and Holmemoss.
I stated in a previous reply that my Grandmother Eliza Lawton b1874 was the daughter of Sophia Lawton b1859, I was wrong. Having sent for Eliza's birth cert, I can confirm that she is in fact the daughter of Alice Lawton b1855. I can only apologise for my mistake in having opened my mouth without first checking all the facts. It is a lesson I have learnt, and hopefully, won't do it again.
Nemley.
Parkers of  Emley.