Author Topic: Britton Genealogy & DNA Project  (Read 11689 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Britton Genealogy & DNA Project
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Once again, thanks for the response - I find this very interesting.  :)

My Brittain family have been put aside for some time, but not I feel inspired to return to them thanks to you.  :D

I am in the process of reading about your project, and have added it to my 'favourites'.

Please keep us updated on the results of your research. Best of luck.

Offline LPlantagenet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dr. Lindsey Britton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm glad you feel inspired to start researching your Brittain family again--let me know if I can help in any way.  Meanwhile,  I'll post project updates here  whenever we have new information to share and I'll recommend this message board to other members of the Britton project.

Lindsey
Looking for the ancestors of John Britton bc 1672/3, probably in England, but living in Henrico Co., VA by 1684--The family has a rare Y-DNA signature and belongs to subgroup AS7E of Haplogroup I1--We are Family Group 1 in the Britton Project

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 February 10 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Lindsey.  :)

Offline LPlantagenet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dr. Lindsey Britton
    • View Profile
Attention Brittons from Somerset & NY
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 February 11 14:18 GMT (UK) »
If you are a Britton with proof of descent from Nathaniel or William Britton who settled in Staten Island, NY in the mid-17th century or their ancestors in Batcombe, Somerset, then the Britton International DNA Project may have a special discount or possibly even a free DNA test for you.

Please note that only males with the name Britton are eligible for testing, because only males have Y-chromosomes; however, women may participate indirectly by finding a male relative to represent their line.

For more information, please write to:

Dr. Lindsey Britton
Administrator of the Britton International DNA Project
Looking for the ancestors of John Britton bc 1672/3, probably in England, but living in Henrico Co., VA by 1684--The family has a rare Y-DNA signature and belongs to subgroup AS7E of Haplogroup I1--We are Family Group 1 in the Britton Project

Offline SDHorais

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 22:23 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if I'm part of this bunch of Brittons but I believe it's possible. I found the following, which I believe is your project:

FAMILY GROUP 5: Line of Richard Britton of Batcombe, Somerset, bc 1585.  His sons Nathaniel and William settled on Staten Island New York and son Cananuel settled in Chester Co., PA.

Group 5 divides into two subgroups based on results for DYS 388. Several members of 5A trace descent from James Britton bc 1704, who moved from Chester CO, PA to Orange Co, VA in the 1730’s and from VA to Rowan Co, NC in 1754.  All members of 5A have a value of 11 at DYS 388, whereas members of 5B have the modal value of 12.  No one in 5B appears to descend from James Britton. Two members of 5B have traced their line back to Richard Briton bc 1585, B-22 who descends from Richard’s son William and B-33 who descends from William’s brother Nathaniel.

Subgroup 5B:
Lineage for A-17:
John Britton
William Britten, b. 1791 in Pa. Married in 1822, NY,  to Margaret A. Dama; moved to Michigan in 1840. Died circa 1865 in Atlas twp, Gennesee Co. Mich.
John Britten, b.Dec.20, 1815 in NY m. Sophia Blocker  in NY; died Dec 5, 1900 Orchard Lake, Mich
Azell B. Britten, b. Nov 19, 1872 in Ortonville, Groveland twp, Oakland co. Mich.; m Amy Ann Henderson Dec. 15, 1894 in Danville, IL.; died April 19, 1913 in Provo, Utah

I'm a direct descendent of John Britton noted at the head of the pedigree. Azell was my great-great uncle. I'm trying to find information on John's parentage. Though I suspect that he was a descendent of the Brittons who emigrated to Staten Island NY, I have no confirmed links. I don't know if you can help but I would appreciate any information you may have.
Britton, Marsh

Offline LPlantagenet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dr. Lindsey Britton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
Here are two strategies that might help you:

1) If you will send me an e-mail at the address below, I will notify members of Group 5 that you are looking for information and would like to correspond with them.  Perhaps, you can all help each other by working together.

2) If you are a Britton male or you know a Britton male from your line who would like to be tested, we hope you will consider joining the project; if you already have DNA results, we would like to include them and your pedigree in the Britton project.

Lindsey Britton, Admininstrator of the Britton Project

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline SDHorais

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 22:53 BST (UK) »
I would like to do that as soon as I can send you a PM. The forum administrator has advised that I need to have at least three postings before I can utilize that feature.

I have a couple of cousins that I might be able to call upon for DNA testing but it will take some time to get hold of them.

John Britton's forebears have been a mystery bugging me for 30 years. According to family lore, he was the son of an English nobleman and a Welsh woman, had a personal servant and was educated. No one seems to remember the parents names, though. And I've only recently found his brothers. Since there is considerable time between each, 6 years between William and John, 8 years between John and Daniel James, it's reasonable to assume that there were other siblings.
Britton, Marsh

Offline AL West

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 22 August 20 04:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there I'm new to this site so still figuring out how to navigate but I recently decided to look into my family history and heritage as I knew nothing about my family past my immediate living relatives and found out that my fourth great grandmother on my father's side was a woman from Bitton called Ann Britton who married a man called James West who I presumed was my fourth great grandfather as I am a West as is my father and so on but digging deeper James West died years before Ann's son Charles West my third great grandfather was born, anyway turns out my fourth great grandfather was actually a man called Charles lawrence but their son was born out of wedlock so was given Ann's married surname of West, this was quite the surprise and the situation intrigued me so I started to look into the Britton family and soon discovered there's quite the history there and I've traced the family line back a few generations to the early/mid 1700s but have hit a bit of a wall and just wondered if anyone here knew much about the Brittons in Bitton, Gloucester, further back than the 1700s any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Offline Donna Hay

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 17:27 BST (UK) »
I just used a new online resource (where else during the pandemic?!?!), and found some exciting new Britton news from the parish records of Batcombe and the Quaker records of Bristol:

1. Cananuel definitely had children -- The Bristol parish records show he had at least one son Richard (his marriage record confirms he is the son of Cananuel) and at least one (unknown) daughter (a burial record for her daughter Ann Cupitt identified her as the granddaughter of Cananuel).  I suspect he had several more, but I have not been able to locate any baptism records yet -- still not sure where he was between 1642 in Batcombe and 1664 in Bristol.  I suspect he had children in America as he emigrated alone at age 70 after his release from Newgate prison.  I suspect that John of Bucks is descended from Cananuel as several of John's descendants have Quaker ties.

2. William and Daniel are almost certainly to be nephews of Richard Sr of Batcombe, not sons.  There is another family in Batcombe having children in the 1630s -- William Britton and Jane Crouch were married in Batcombe in 1629 and had a daughter Ann born in 1630.  Unfortunately almost all the rest of the 1630 Batcombe parish records and bishop transcripts did not survive, so subsequent baptism records are missing.  I suggest that it is much more likely that Richard Jr left William and Daniel out of his will because they were cousins and not brothers rather than some weird rift.  See my website -- http://haygenealogy.com/hay/brittontree.html

I would love to connect with others to use DNA verification.  And especially to connect with people interested in Cananuel.

Thanks!
Stay safe!
Donna Hay