Author Topic: Richard Roberts b 1827 Chirk  (Read 18902 times)

Offline evan2wo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Roberts b 1827 Chirk
« Reply #45 on: Friday 14 September 12 00:18 BST (UK) »
I looked at the Chirk parish records this afternoon, trying to get some things straight myself.  My son is descended on his mother's side from Elizabeth Cash who m. John Jones in 1824.  Martha Cash was a witness.

Looks like Edward Cash (1755-1831) was the husband of Ann - they lived in the Black Park area of Chirk Parish.  Edward must have had a son Edward (1782-1818).  He lived in Halton.  It was *his* wife who was Mary Morris.  They were married in 1805.  I suppose she remarried shortly after he died.

Now what is throwing me is that Martha Cash b. 1799 is said to be daughter of Edward and Mary - except I suspect this is an error and her mother was Ann. 

Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Looks like Elizabeth Cash - for whom I cannot find a birth record - had a daughter Priscilla out of wedlock in 1822.  She is listed as age 15 in 1841 Census, but now I think this Priscilla Jones was really her mother's daughter prior to marriage.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 15 September 12 09:40 BST (UK) »
Any info on the John Jones who married Elizabeth Cash?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline evan2wo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 15 September 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
Sure.  Elizabeth Cash married John Jones in Chirk in 1824.  They had children there into the 1840s. In 1841 they were living in the township of Brynkinalt, Black-Park barracks, where there son, Job, is apparently working as a coal miner at age twelve.  By 1851 they had moved to Bilston in Staffordshire, England.   John and Elizabeth (or Eliza) both still alive at this point - John still working as a coal miner.  The family is still living in Bilston in 1861 with John working as a coal miner.  I lose track of them by 1871 (perhaps deceased, or perhaps John is incorrectly logged as being born in Bilston but living in a poorhouse), except for their son Job who was living in Willenhall, Staffordshire in 1861, and then Hednesford, Cannock, Staffordshire in 1871.  His daughter Anne married Thomas Hearp in 1884 and they subsequently moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.

It appears John Jones was born in Chirk in 1804, son of John and Elizabeth.  My current speculation is that his parents were married in Chirk in 1794, and father was from Llangollen and mother Elizabeth Hughes (dau. of John and Ann Hughes, who serve as witnesses) was living in Chirk. 

I am checking more Chirk records today at a family history center.  If you respond promptly, I will be able to do a look-up for you if you have a specific record for which you are looking.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 15 September 12 14:47 BST (UK) »
It seems the John Jones I'm following married another Elizabeth and had children in Chirk among them William and Henry,he is given as born in Glyndyfrdwy in c 1800 in the 1851 Census.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline evan2wo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 15 September 12 18:51 BST (UK) »
Perhaps of interest...John Mates who m. Maria Roberts, living in Bilston, Staffordshire with Cash young men in the 1851 Census.  Seems like there was decent amount of migration from Chirk to Bilston between 1841 and 1851.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 16 September 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you're still around, evan2wo,  but I have only just seen this section of the thread while searching for my other cousins' posts.

John Mates was the 2nd son of Ann Cash and Thomas Mates. Thomas Mates died in 1824 and Ann subsequently married Benjamin Twigg.  Thomas and Ann were my 3xgreat grandparents via their son, James.  Thomas died in a mining accident, aged 25.

I've done lots of research on the families and, from memory, this Mates line married into the Leadbitters and Jamieson families in Co. Durham and some of them emigrated to USA.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***