Author Topic: Cambells, McTaggarts of Argyll  (Read 7295 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cambells, McTaggarts of Argyll
« on: Tuesday 23 February 10 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Recently was conversing with someone who is a distant relative who then sent to me their Gedcom so now I have another branch added to my tree.k

Namely Campbells, Mcphail, McTaggart and probably other names kwhich I cannot remember.
Trying to combine the two parts, merge the trees so that it makes sense.  It seems to me that they are ignoring their irish roots for their scottish ones.  Mary Taggart has become McTaggart.
Apologies if the person is on Rootschat.  But trying to make sense of it all.

My question is , has anyone else had problems like this.  Currently I am not in a position to check the details with SP.  A lot of the info on the tree is supposedly through family members, cited as the source
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Cambells, McTaggarts of Argyll
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Marcie

You have probably seen and read a number of these types of questions coming up in many places on Rootschat.

If you don't have verifiable sources for the gedcom you have been given (and it is based in the main on family heresay) the danger will be that you could potentially mess up your own tree that you have verified to date.

You could always hold off adding it to your tree and leave it separate for now until you are in a position to start checking out some of the key data on it. That way, what entries you do add to your tree you can be certain that they are accurate  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica
I will do that.  The one thing that is a possible is that my gggran Janet O'May who married Alexander Smith  I know that she had sisters and named 2 of her female children after them.  One was Jane the other was not sure if it was Agnes or Elizabeth.  This lady has an Agnes O'May in her tree and she says that her relative had a sister called Janet  and the other thing was she said that Agnes was the daughter of William O'May and Margaret Milloy.  But the dates she has for their arrival in Scotland is back in  the late 1700s and not the information I picked up from the census.  It is like the Irish part of the family is being ignored, overwritten, buried.  And I see no shame in being either Irish or Scots.  They had them marching together in war time, and tkhey used to steel each others fireworks according to my grandad. ::)
marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline momo0055

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 October 13 16:33 BST (UK) »
Good day to you, Marcie. My name is Laura and I live in Canada. William O'may and Margaret Milloy are my great-great-great grandparents. I have a copy of a tree that was given to me by my brother that goes back a couple more generations than them. The problem is that the farther back you go, the more foggy the information. My tree also shows McTaggart, but it seems like almost everyone is shown as being born in Argylshire. I've only been looking for a short time, but find it very interesting. Nice to meet you!

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 November 13 11:25 GMT (UK) »
have a look in campbelltown an johnstone in Renfrewshire
William milloy did gardening work for a while so did our omay ancestors between jobs? retired? don't know but that is in the genes obviously, as I became a horticulturalist eventually. my granddad used to do his own garden growing veg and flowers comes down through a long line of interesting people
Marji.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline momo0055

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 November 13 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you for that, Marci. Other than a few houseplants that manage, I seem to not have much of a green thumb myself. I will tell you that I married a man whose father went to school, back in Italy, for agriculture. His vegetable and fruit garden was something to amaze over. He had a pear tree trained like a vine that made a wall. He had an apple tree with seven different varieties of apples from grafting. He was one of the smartest men I knew. Unfortunately he passed last year and his garden has been sodded over.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 November 13 02:06 GMT (UK) »
 :'(that is sad what I like about Italy is the thought of growing kiwis as well as figs etc. there is a nectarine called pineapple which has the smell and slight taste of pineapple which can be grown in this country but I tried to get one last year, sadly out of stock but one-day £39 I think it was but still I will place it on my wish list and see what Santa brings me. probably bed socks not plants lol ;D
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 November 13 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Recently was conversing with someone who is a distant relative who then sent to me their Gedcom so now I have another branch added to my tree.k

Namely Campbells, Mcphail, McTaggart and probably other names kwhich I cannot remember.
Trying to combine the two parts, merge the trees so that it makes sense.  It seems to me that they are ignoring their irish roots for their scottish ones.  Mary Taggart has become McTaggart.
Apologies if the person is on Rootschat.  But trying to make sense of it all.

My question is , has anyone else had problems like this.  Currently I am not in a position to check the details with SP.  A lot of the info on the tree is supposedly through family members, cited as the sourcethen there are the smiths that married them, you sure you know what you are letting yourself in for?? ;D ;D :P
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 October 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
Good day to you, Marcie. My name is Laura and I live in Canada. William O'may and Margaret Milloy are my great-great-great grandparents. I have a copy of a tree that was given to me by my brother that goes back a couple more generations than them. The problem is that the farther back you go, the more foggy the information. My tree also shows McTaggart, but it seems like almost everyone is shown as being born in Argylshire. I've only been looking for a short time, but find it very interesting. Nice to meet you!
have a look at westtmeath southernireland, youll ne surprised thouhj at the spellling if the name. see if I can vaguely remember O'meagheagh?
 searl rogers sutherland