Author Topic: Cambells, McTaggarts of Argyll  (Read 7296 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cambells, McTaggarts of Argyll
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 October 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
your cousin wouldn't be glen kalyk? he's my third cousin his line comes down through the brown and moss?families, he lives in vancouver.he used to be on genes re-united
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 October 17 14:42 GMT (UK) »
mceachran by any chance, kirkwood, steele. you should contact angus on the isle of mull he looks afterthe family history records a lot of family history concerning the families in mull, bell trails, calquahoun, etc there is probably a few i have forgotten flett laird, george the farmer laird is third cousin apparently to william of orangethough I cant remember his surname but I found him through thr ralston magazine, the o'may men were all religious the become chaplins etc in the church and there are threebrothers  who at one time owned three diocese betweeb them boundaries if which bounded each other, and  cornelias o'may attended st andrews university and left with honours in divinty, my grt gran was janet o'may smith, her parents, alexander smith and janet o'mayshe was the daiughter of willliam o'may and margaret milloycannot remember the other siblings in margarets family only my grtgran janets, there was hugh, muriel muir but he died aged 4, then alexander he married an isabelle with a foreign sounding name her father was maltese I think lecturer or translater, or somesuch, then there was william the troyble is they had the habit of repeating names sometimes  eg:hugh more than once but to doffrentiate one was hugh alexander the other was just hugh he was the youngest son but the youngestchild was muriel she married a james hamilton and had a boy they named james sydney hanilton ,  think from memory, on the smith side you start with a hugh wjo came over from ireland between 1800-1880 they had 13  children they had muir, elizabeth, mary, helen, she died aged 15 she was a above ground in all weathers sorting the coal into usual or take home because that was all they could afford left the clinker as rubbish but she was inhaling all the dust that came offof it, so she became ill her mother tried to loook after but her husband was also sick, he ended up in in an almshousehospital to ill to work anymore which she had to pay for until the money dried up. I suppose that was the name they have them then , they probably were pre workhouse  helen stayed with her mother, and tried to help look after her father with her mother but in the end she died before he did.they had a  john, william,I think mary was the eldest, then elizabeth ,muir, william. john,no alexanders for them but something is niggling me they may hsave had a james, margaret,anne, sorry cant remember any others. the o'may family mostly stuck to william donald,alexander,james. janejanet, mary and margaret except for one branch a third cousin broke away from the morm she was married to a donald or dugald o'may sand her daughter was calledsomething like naomi or something.sorry again i'm stuck. the same as the campbells and the mcdonalds
maybe come on ancestry, I have 7 trees , one with the o'may family and the steels go through to trail, laird, etc I think that margaret milloy was the daughter of janet campbell?both of which are related to levison gower, because the old mans daughters married into the campbell family but the boys married wealthy women just like their father, either that or influential daughters if influentially political men.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline breakfree

• RootsChat Extra
  • WILD ABOUT GENEALOGY AND GOOD CLASSIC ROCK MUSIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 November 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
No suprises there with McTaggart being given different spellings...i have McTaggart, McIntgart, McTagairt, and they're all the same family :) (then theres the McDougall's who were McDougald's)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 January 20 05:07 GMT (UK) »
is angus still live i used to talk to hhim when i was on Genes Reunited years ago now.?
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 23:52 GMT (UK) »
now also looking for a connection between my family of o'may and smith and the campbells as my carer is a campbell
 searl rogers sutherland