Author Topic: Royal African Corps 1809-1822  (Read 9934 times)

Offline timberslackery

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal African Corps 1809-1822
« on: Wednesday 24 February 10 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who became a Chelsea Pensioner in 1822, when he was discharged with a disability, aged 35 years.  He had been in the army for 13 years, initially with the 19th Dragoons and, after only 129 days, he was transferred the the Royal African Corps on the Isle of Wight.  I understand, from various sources, that  the Royal African Corps was mainly made up of convicts and deserters.

His name was Gabriel Wood and was enlisted into the 19th Dragoons at Northampton on 12/12/1808.

On 20/04/1809 he was transferred to The Royal African Corps on the Isle of Wight and, according to WO12 musters & pay lists, served in Senegal & Goree from 1813 to 1815, was in Sierra Leone during December 1816 and in May 1817 was shown as "on passage to Cape".  His military career thereafter seems to have disappeared from the WO12 records.

I understand that four companies of the Royal African Corps were disbanded in 1819, but in his book, The British Army in the West Indies, Roger Buckley writes,

"The  three penal regiments raised for service in the West Indies were disbanded in 1819, four companies of the Royal African Corps were disbanded in West Africa.  The remaining companies were kept in service until 1821, when they were broken up at the Cape Colony."  I'm assuming that the "remaining companies" refers to the Royal African Corps, particularly as they were at the Cape Colony.

Gabriel's discharge papers, dated 12/10/1822, clearly state that he was in the Royal African Corps from 20/04/1809 until 29 Oct. 1822.

With regard to the question of deserters and criminals, I can only quote from other literary sources:

"On 25th April, 1804, the King approved of the regiment being named the Royal African Corps. This regiment was one of the several penal corps or “condemned battalions” raised about this time which were recruited from deserters and culprits from the hulks; a few [black soldiers], however, were also recruited and attached to this corps."
W.Y. Baldry, Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research,
Volume xiv, Number 56 (Winter 1935), pp.233-234.

“The practice of legal escape from prison was readily available to British army deserters.  As in the case of culprits and criminals, incarcerated deserters could ordinarily change their prison sentences for service in West Africa and the West Indies.” again, Roger Buckley, and from the same publication. when referring to both the Royal African Corps and soldiers stationed in the West Indies.

Gabriel's WO16 Disability and Out-Pensions Admission records indicate that he was discharged with the disability of, "extensive Cicatrix on the left ankle", which basically means that he had scar tissue on his ankle, hardly a disability, I would have thought.

However, in the 1851 census, when he was living with his wife at Oundle, Northamptonshire, he was described as a Chelsea Pensioner and 65 years of age.  Could gabriel have deserted from the 19th Dragoons and upon capture been given the option of a prison sentence or service with the Royal African Corps and still have qualified for a Chelsea Pension?

There is one other conundrum, his discharge papers state that he had been in Africa from 1810, but he cannot be traced in the WO12 records until 1813.  He was married at Northampton during December 1808 and a child was born to his wife in 1812, when Gabriel was named as the father and described as a soldier.  I'm assuming that members of the Royal African Corps did not enjoy home leave in those days and realise, of course, that Gabriel may not have been the father.

Also found the following passage, which is taken from, Cambridge History of the British Empire: Eric E. Anderson, when describing the frontier conflict at the Cape in 1817:

“The Royal African Corps too, comprising foreign adventurers and captured British deserters, was a constant source of annoyance to the inhabitants.”

Would value the observations on these quotes from anyone who has a knowledge of The Royal African Corps

Offline timberslackery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ROYAL AFRICAN CORPS 1809-1822
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, forgot to sign the posting
Andy Wood

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROYAL AFRICAN CORPS 1809-1822
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

I cannot comment on the quoted passges except that whatever the reason he was transferred to the RAC, by being given a pension he obviosuly ended up a good soldier. The only way you will know why he was transferred from the 19th Draggons is to look up their muster book to see if 'deserted' etc is listed. But if he did desert his time away, plus the punishment would be taken off his service towards his pension, calculated in 1822.

Men enlisting before abt1818 were given 50% bonus towards pension for any time spent in either the East or West Indies. So this might also be mentioned.

Ken

Offline timberslackery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Royal African Corps 1809-1822
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 March 10 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Ken, your advice is greatly appreciated.  I did check the musters, but no reference to desertion.  My guess is that he did desert and was transferred to the RAC instead of penal servitude.  It would appear that there is no way of finding out for sure.

Regards
Andy

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 March 10 11:37 GMT (UK) »
If the musters does not record that he deserted then you should believe that. The muster books acted as pay lists, so they record all absences.

Ken

Offline timberslackery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 March 10 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello. again, Ken
Now had an opportunity of looking in some detail at the 19the Dragoon musters it states, " Transferred General Service Comp? (looks like)Service".

However, it did seem a retrograde transfer.

Best regards
Andrew

Offline declanb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching the same period. John Ouseley Kearney was in The New South Wales Corps from before 1806. He transferred to The Royal African Corps in 1810. He was reputed to have resigned his commission in Sierra Leone circa 1817. He worked there for a while (with his brother, William) under Governor MacCarthy before changing to become a notorious slave trader. He had fled by 1821. I believe this John married in 1812 and had children born in Ennis, Co. Clare in 1814 and 1815 so like the family you are researching they must have had leave or had their wives with them ???
I too had been wondering about the father(s) before seeing you had a very similar story.
I still have not found John's military records. I wonder if he was ever caught - would his military record mention this ?

Offline edpi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 September 19 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hullo Andy Wood
I am responding to a posting of yours of 24 February 2010 concerning the Royal African Corps and your ancestor Gabriel Wood, which I have recently come across. I am writing from South Africa and am doing some work on the RAC, particularly their time in the Cape from 1817 to 1822. During this period, amongst other activities, the unit played a significant role in the Battle of Grahamstown, one of the most decisive battles in South African history. I would be happy to share with you the information I have collected and wondered whether you might be interested in doing the same as I have not had access to some of the records in the UK. If you wish to respond to me personally, my e-mail address is:  p.irwin@ru.ac.za       
Regards
Pat Irwin