Author Topic: Margaret Dunlop  (Read 10792 times)

Offline muffin74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Margaret Dunlop
« on: Wednesday 24 February 10 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on Margaret Dunlop (Great Grandmother) believe she may be from Garvagh.

Her age is 50 on the 1901 census and abt 65 on the 1911 census and in both cases she was living in Waterloo St Derry so prob born around late 1840's / early 1850's

Married my Great Grandfather Thomas Harkin (Postman, Holy hill) on 23rd Mar 1883 in Leckpatrick COI Tyrone, Occupation was given as Ladies Maid and Address as Holy Hill, Fathers name was Andrew Dunlop and his occupation is given as Carpenter, had 6 children between 1884 and 1891 (4 survived according to 1911 census) First 5 were born in Rossfad, Irvinestown, Co. Fermanagh and the sixth, My Grandfather Hugh Harkin (later changed to Harkens) was born in Shuttlehill, Coleraine, Co. Derry.

I have found a record of a Marriage between Andrew Dunlop and Jane Johnston at 1st Garvagh on the 10th Nov 1842 on the Bann Valley site.

One of Margarets children was called Johnston Harkin giving me a clue that the above might be her parents but I cannot find a record of her birth so cant be sure.

Any information that could confirm that the above Andrew Dunlop is indeed her father would be much appreciated!

Harkin - Inver Donegal
Quigley - Derry
Houston - Derry
Porter - Donegal/Derry
Dunlop - Garvagh Co.Derry
McElhinney - Derry/Donegal
Williams/Williamson - Ramelton Co.Donegal
Sweeney - Donegal/Derry
Caldwell - Donegal
Johnston - Garvagh Co.Derry
Gorman - Donegal/Derry
Tait - Carnamoyle, Muff, Donegal
McDaid - Derryhassan Donegal
Craynor - Carnamoyle, Muff, Donegal
Doherty - Fanad Donegal

Offline Captain Sailor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Dunlop
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi - just read your thread concerning Andrew Dunlop and Jane Johnston. Andrew and Jane were my Great Great Great Grandparents on the paternal side of my family. Andrew Dunlop (Snr) and Jane had 6 children as far as I can ascertain including my Great Great Grandfather Hugh Dunlop and his brother Andrew Dunlop (who I believe is the Andrew you are referring to). Hugh Dunlop had a daughter Mary Dunlop who subsequently married my Great Grandfather Robert John Armstrong, the surname which I bear. The Armstrong family were proud of the Dunlop connection and in fact one of my christian names is Dunlop. The family had strong Presbyterian routes in Northern Ireland and family legend has it that a Robert Dunlop was a ship's mate on the Mountjoy which broke the siege of Derry. I don't live in Northern Ireland but I have visited the grave of Andrew Dunlop in Garvagh cemetery. Hope you receive this!

Offline Captain Sailor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 22:49 GMT (UK) »
PS. Mary Dunlop was born between 1854 and 1855 and would have been a cousin of your Great Great Grandmother Margaret Dunlop.

Offline Captain Sailor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - cousin to your your Great Grandmother!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 10:17 GMT (UK) »
... I don't live in Northern Ireland but I have visited the grave of Andrew Dunlop in Garvagh cemetery.

There is no 'Garvagh cemetery' so the grave must be in one of the local burial grounds - St. Paul's Church of Ireland, First or Second Garvagh if in the town or outside the town (Errigal, Desertoghill, Moyletra, etc.).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Captain Sailor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 12:30 GMT (UK) »
It was the First Garvagh Presbyterian Church cemetery

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 November 15 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Likely the old First Garvagh burying-ground near the river then.

Offline Captain Sailor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 November 15 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Well I presume so - the visit was in 2007 but from memory it was literally just off the main high street - there was a very small car park next to it.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 December 15 11:52 GMT (UK) »
(Old) First Garvagh Presbyterian burying ground-

Erected by Hugh Dunlop of Garvagh. His father Andrew Dunlop died on the 1st October 1850, aged 72 years. His mother Jane on the 24th May 1856 aged 67 years. His son James Wilson on the 17th June 1844 aged 8 months. His wife Nancy on the 18th October 1867 aged 47 years. His son James Wilson Dunlop who died 18th Nov.1876 aged 29 years. Also the above Hugh Dunlop who died 1st March 1905 aged 88 years. Also Ina Dunlop died 1st July 1912, aged 42 years. Also John Dunlop died 7th July 1937. Jemima Dunlop 12th July 1964.

PRONI Will Extracts-
The Will of John Dunlop late of Killyvally County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 23 December 1877 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oaths of Hugh Dunlop of Garvagh Grocer and James Hill of Keurin (Garvagh) Farmer both in said County the Executors.

Probate of the Will (with two Codicils) of Hugh Dunlop late of Garvagh County Londonderry Merchant who died 1 March 1905 granted at Londonderry to John Dunlop Merchant.

Administration of the Estate of Ina Dunlop late of Main Street Garvagh County Londonderry who died 1 July 1912 granted at Londonderry to John Dunlop Grocer the Husband.

Dunlop of Garvagh county Londonderry gentleman died 7 July 1937 Probate Belfast 14 September to Mima Dunlop the widow. Effects £916 13s. 3d.