Author Topic: Margaret Dunlop  (Read 10798 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Dunlop
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 January 16 18:38 GMT (UK) »
I also photographed the Dickson grave you have mentioned but am unsure of the exact connection although I can confirm from the photograph that the year of Mary Dickson's death is indeed 1928.

See reply #13
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Erica Montgomery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 February 17 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I just came across your post by accident .. you are right about the misprint. Mary Dickson would have been my grandmother . she died on july 28th 1928 apparently aged 28 after giving birth to my father Marcus Dickson . (he sadly passed away aged 84 in 2012 ) .. im curious to know where Jane Dunlop came from that was married to Thomas Dickson the grain and provision merchant , main street garvagh

Offline Erica Montgomery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 February 17 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Jane Dunlop, Maghera, daughter of Hugh Dunlop (merchant), married 29 Aug.1877 at Maghera Presbyterian church to Thomas Dixon.

Dickson would have been the correct spelling and Jane Dunlop would have been my great grandmother on my fathers side then ??

Offline Erica Montgomery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 February 17 19:08 GMT (UK) »
113     Maghera Church ...   29 Aug 1877   Thomas Dixon   full   Bachelor   Merchant   Garvagh    Robert Dixon Farmer (father) (Alexander M. Millar ( witness)   Page 57   

Offline Derek Torrens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Looks like Im a relation as well. My Great Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Dunlop (c1817 - 1901) daughter of Andrew Dunlop (c1778- 1 Oct 1851), She married James Jackson (c1817) a Baker, Garvagh..
Elizabeth had brothers
Hugh Dunlop (c1818 - 1905)
Andrew Dunlop (c1821)

sisters..
Constantia Dunlop
Mary Jane Dunlop .

I dont have much more on this line but the Dunlops had a Merchant bussiness in Garvagh Town, somewhere near the Second Garvagh Presbyterian Church.

Derek.

Offline Erica Montgomery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 11 May 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
I have a picture of Mary Jane Dunlop ..

Offline Erica Montgomery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 11 May 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Derek :) .. you are correct , My Great Grandfather Thomas Dickson married Mary Dunlop . He had a shop in Garvagh that was passed down to his son Marcus Dickson Senior , then on to my late father Marcus Dickson. My father and his sister Jean are both buried in Main Street Presbyterian Church , Garvagh.  Thomas , Mary , Dads mother nee Mary Glass and Mary Dunlops daughter are all buried in the old graveyard at the library beside Garvagh Bridge . I wonder why Thomas & Jane married in Maghera church ?? . I was wondering where she was born and brought up ? you think Garvagh ?

Offline Erica Montgomery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 May 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
Residents of a house 126 in Main Street (Garvagh, Londonderry)  1911 census

Dickson   Thomas   51(1860)    Male   Head of Family   Presbyterian   Co Derry   Merchant   R &W      Widower   -   -   -   -
Dickson   Aggie   31(1880)   Female   Daughter   Presbyterian   Co Derry   School Teacher   R&W   English   Single   -   -   -   -
Dickson   Nellie   21(1890)   Female   Daughter   Presbyterian   Co Derry   -   R&W   English   Single   -   -   -   -
Dickson   Marcus   19(1892)   Male   Son   Presbyterian   Co Derry   -   R&W   English   Single   -   -   -   -
Mcallister   Minnie   17   Female   Servant   Presbyterian   Co Derry   General Domestic Servt   R&W   -

Thomas Dickson, Garvagh, died 10 May 1924, aged 66 years  (dead 13 years later )
his wife Jane Dunlop, died 19 Jan 1906, aged 54 years ( born 1852) (died 5 years before this) when Marcus was 14 years old .She had Marcus when she was 40 .
and their daughter Sadie, died 9 Sept 1895, aged 14 years born (1881 the second born ) ( died 16 years before this census )

Offline Derek Torrens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 11 May 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Erica, This is the boost I need riht now to get me back into genealogy. Sadly itts been a decde since I was devoted to Fmily research but that will hopefully change again as I now have more time on my hands due to ill health.

Thats a really lovely photo, very attractive lady and for her to be a sister of my Great Great Grandmther Elizabeth Dunlop I shall save and treasure this.
So nice to meet a relative working on Dunlops, never had this before.

I dont understand the Maghera link, or why your Mary Jane married there, maybe it was a change of scenery to make their day more special or maybe they were friends or related to the Minister.

In the Census is Jane, I dont see Mary Jane mentioned, but at least we get ideas of birth dates if the Jane is Mary Jane.

I sent you a PM so hope we can talk more soon.

Thanks for all this, Much appreciated cousin :)

Derek.