Author Topic: Great Western Railwaymen KIA WW1  (Read 21579 times)

Offline Local Studies, Swindon Libraries

• RootsChat Extra
  • Local Studies at Swindon Central Library
    • View Profile
Re: Great Western Railwaymen KIA WW1
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 July 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
The details removed from our post by the moderator are our publicly available email address and phone number, present in 1000s of sites across the internet. We try and make this info as widely available as possible! :D
The contacts for David are also widely published online so we are unsure why either had to be removed. Seems a bit harsh - however, we would certainly agree that it is generally a bad idea to put your home/personal phone numbers or email address online without due care.

Anyway - our contact details can be found here:
Swindon Collection

While David's can be found here: GWR Staff Records on BerksFHS
Bishopstone, Blunsdon St. Andrew, Broad Blunsdon, Chiseldon, Cricklade, Hannington, Highworth, Inglesham, Kingsdown, Liddington, Lydiard Tregoze and Lydiard Millicent, Purton, Rodbourne Cheney, South Marston, Stanton Fitzwarren, Stratton St. Margaret, Swindon (Old & New), Wanborough, Wootton Bassett, Wroughton,

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 July 10 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Swindon.  Have emailed it.
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline teaurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A lovely cup of tea
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 10:07 BST (UK) »
What a fantastic resource

I have railway ancestors and although mine are not Swindon these shots certainly give an insight to the period. :D
Middlesex   Burnett  Clark   Potter    Cleary    Avery    Moore Howard Jode Keating
Norfolk    Rudd    Twite    Hudson    Chapman Moore Spink Adams
Suffolk    Horne    Cadge    Sutton    King    Adams
Essex    Cable    Wright                         Cumberland  Forbes
Somerset Clarke (pre 1800)                  Cambridgeshire Muncey Parcell
Devon  Flashman                                   Limerick    Hannigan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline psychonaut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure most of you already know this, but just in case you didn't, there are many documents relating to the privatised railway companies pre-1948 available at the National Archives.  Amongst them, and revealing by way of the fact that they list huge numbers of staff and the departments in which they worked, are the pay ledgers. 

British Rail used to have their own archive, somewhere in Ashford I think, but i have a feeling that those documents may have gone to the NA when BR was sold off.

Offline mshergold

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 December 12 22:49 GMT (UK) »
This a sample of some of the fellas (including my kin) who lost their lives  in WW1 tht worked for Gods Wonderful Railway.........

Offline mshergold

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 December 12 23:13 GMT (UK) »
furthering the soldiers of GWR     I have a question  related to this topic.....

The memorial board of the GWR soldiers used to hang in the Swindon Railway Station... I have been told it has been removed....    Has it?      And,    if it has,  to where????????

thankyou to anyone local or otherwise who can answer this question.

Marty

Offline psychonaut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 December 12 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Marty - similar boards used to hang at all the principal former GWR stations - certainly I can recall during my time on the railway (1992 to the present) seeing them on display at Plymouth, Exeter, Taunton, Bristol, Swindon, London Paddington, and Cardiff - they may also be at other locations.  I was at Swindon a  few days ago and don't recall seeing the board on display there - I guess it is possible it was removed during the extensive rebuilding of Swindon station in the 1970s. 

As a general rule if thumb (but not always!!) the boards were displayed on, or very close, to platform 1 at the stations where they were displayed.  The only location where this may still hold true is Exeter St. Davids, although I have a suspicion that the board there now resides on platform 5.  That said, I don't get to Exeter St. Davids very often and I can't recall where it was the last time I was there.  At Paddington it may still be on Platform 1, but I have an idea it is now around the corner towards the taxi rank that leads up to Praed Street.

Cardiff Central is my local station - do you want me to try and get a photo of the board there for you?  :)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 December 12 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Here is a picture of the "missing memorial board"... for those who have never seen it..

Offline psychonaut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 December 12 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Good work fastfusion!!  Is that the one at Swindon, and if so, whereabouts on the station is it?  I can see the frontage of WHSmith reflected in it, which would mean it is inside the building at platform level on the "island" platform.  I don't recall seeing it there, although in fairness I rarely pass through that part of the station - I'm normally on the through lines and so only see the platforms themselves.