Author Topic: John Campbell and Temperance Perkins  (Read 20896 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Campbell and Temperance Perkins
« Reply #27 on: Monday 26 December 16 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi. This is an interesting thread. My 2x Great Grandmother (Jane Elizabeth Campbell, aka Jane Elizabeth Kellett, b. 1832-1835?) was related to this Campbell family and came to Queensland with them in the 1840s/50s. I have not been able to find much about her, I would like to know more about who was the child that "Bbyone" (in post 8) mentions on the ship with John & Temperance.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline mrluigi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 26 December 16 05:42 GMT (UK) »
The child was John Edwin Campbell, born 1 May 1834 in Halifax, Nova Scotia :)
Coghill in Caithness, Marsellos in Kythera, Schatkofsky (Kwiatkowski, Kuskie) in Poland, Coomer in Kent, Miller in Caithness, Prior in Hertford, Harward in Plymtree, Hooton in Middlesex, Bonner in Kent, Campbell in Maine, Fernandez Gonzales and Junobin in Queensland, Stevens in Maine, Perkins in Maine, Blake in Bristol, Carpenter in London.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 26 December 16 06:53 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about the Campbell family and Stevens family in USA and Canada.
I think my connection may be to one of the siblings of either John Campbell or Temperance Stevens.
Also I would be interested to know if it is possible to find the ship record/ passenger list for the brig Mary in 1835. Many thanks for any suggestions.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline mrluigi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 02:53 GMT (UK) »
There are newspaper reports including passenger lists here: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12852742 and here: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/31716775. I think the passenger lists are available on Ancestry.com, but I don't have a subscription.
Coghill in Caithness, Marsellos in Kythera, Schatkofsky (Kwiatkowski, Kuskie) in Poland, Coomer in Kent, Miller in Caithness, Prior in Hertford, Harward in Plymtree, Hooton in Middlesex, Bonner in Kent, Campbell in Maine, Fernandez Gonzales and Junobin in Queensland, Stevens in Maine, Perkins in Maine, Blake in Bristol, Carpenter in London.

Offline mrluigi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Neale1961,
Temperance's mother, Elizabeth, was a Perkins so you might like to check out this site as well: http://www.wilsonmuseum.org/johnperkins.html.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Mrluigi. I had the newspaper reports. The museum link was interesting, however, still no lead to the "needle" I am chasing in the "haystack". I will continue to look into the Campbell family.

Offline Yarramunda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 22 November 19 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm unsure if there is still activity in this chat stream, here goes.  I'm trying to find a little more about John Campbell and his brother-in-law John Stevens early years on the Darling Downs, 1841 to about 1845.  I thought perhaps someone in the family might have more information.  One of my own my family crossed paths with both men around the same time.

Cheers

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 22 November 19 20:46 GMT (UK) »
You might find the following interesting / useful:
1. His book which is available to download on line: "The Early Settlement of Queensland" by John Campbell published in 1936 by the Bibliographical Society of Qld.
2. Article printed in the Brisbane Courier over 2 weeks starting on 25 May 1918 (available on Trove): "Passing of the Pioneers. Robert Campbell of Amity Point; Interesting Family Record" by Thomas Welsby

Offline Yarramunda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 23 November 19 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Neale, I've seen the latter, unfortunately I've found with some of this early story telling in newspapers, its usually only the beginning and there is quite a way to go teasing fact from fiction. 

I've looked for the memoirs previously, title helped this time. 

Thanks again