Author Topic: Joseph Forster  (Read 10982 times)

Offline south shields

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Forster
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
How exciting. I am in touch with a lady in the States who is descended, on the Shield family side, from John Forster who lived in Small Burns in 1870 - he seems to have lived there all his life and was quite elderly when he died. I have his death certificate up at home and that of his wife, Ann. They died within a month or two of each other. I am heading home to County Durham at Christmas and so will contact you again when I have certs in front of me. I also have a copy of a photo of, a rather grand, John Forster. unfortunately I cannot prove that he is my great great grandfather as there are a few John Forsters around in Allendale....but strangely, he does look like my late father.

I do come up to Allendale at times, rummaging in graveyards etc and tried to find Small burns but kept missing the turning.
You are very lucky to live in such a beautiful area.

best wishes,
 Rosamond
rosamo

Offline Deborah71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Rosamond for your reply. I have lived here for 7 years now. Sounds silly but I often think how hard it must have been from the 1600's to now, how people survived living up here without all the amenities we now are provided with. There is such a huge amount of history in the farm and I have searched the internet for historic photos or archives but seem to come up with nothing. I am very interested in your information. Please do contact when you are next up in the area and for now I will try and find some more information for us to share.

Regards
Debbie.
Huby

Offline south shields

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 September 12 20:56 BST (UK) »
Dear Debbie

You living at Small Burns has fired me up a bit on the old research; I had lapsed for awhile but I am fascinated by the lives of the Allendale farmers/miners.

I have been rummaging about and have found the following:

on www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/Allendale/The Whitfields.html   Nicholas = Elizabeth 1679, 1 child born at Small Burns
Thomas Whitfield = Elizabeth Walton 6/06/1782 9 children born between 1783 - 1800 at Smallburns and Wolf Cleugh. William son of Thomas and Betty Whitfield was born at Small Burns on 25/04 1783.
From ancestry.com:
Hannah Hethrington was born in 1824 in Smallburns to Robert Hethreington and Sarah Swindale

from Genes Reunited, census:

1841; cannot find who lived at Small Burns but have found it on some documents as Smail Burn

1851: Living at Small Burns Thomas Harrison (unmarried) aged 42, with his mother Hannah (aged 72) and John Armstrong (Farmer's boy) and Mary Armstrong, servant. By 1861 Thomas and his mum were Turney Shield (he was retired farmer by then, aged 52!); servant Jane Armstrong (Armstrongs at 4 High Burns in 1861)

1861: John Forster (possibly my great, great, great grandfather) born Kirkhaugh in 1789; Ann, born 1792 and Margaret born 1837. I know that John and Ann were still there when they died at the end of that decade (precise dates to follow). They were all living at 1 Small Burn.  Next door at 2 Small Burns was son, Robson, aged 28 and his wife Hannah, aged 24 and their son John aged 1. Next door again at 3 Small Burns was Joseph (another son) aged 34 and a widower, with his daughter Mary aged 11.
(John Forster and his family (including Joseph, Robson and Margaret) seem to have been at Stob in 1851 and Stable in 1841).

On this census, in 1861, there was also 4 High Burns with the Armstrong family - Jane, widow and her children Mary, Thomas, George, Isabelle; 5 High Burns with Joseph Swindle, Jane and Betsy Swindle; 6 High Burns Isaac Lee and servant Elizabeth Oliver.

Is there a place called Ger Cook/Cock? or Gire Coats near Small Burns as I seem to have seen that somewhere as well.

Swindles/Swindales/Whitfields/ Forsters/Robsons/Viponds/Shields seem to abound in my research.
I tried to attach the photo I have of John Forster but it would not let me as it is too big a file....sorry.

I am semi-retiring soon and hope to make more time for research on the area around Knock Burn and Small Burn as my family seem connected with both farms.

Hope that this helps and I shall keep posting any finds.
Best wishes,
Rosamond

ps as the wind whistles round Small Burns at least some of your ghosts will have names!

Offline south shields

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 September 12 22:03 BST (UK) »
Dear Debbie

Just found:

Joseph Swindale

Illegitimate son of Sarah Swindle and William Williamson born at Smallburn, Ninebanks and baptised 7th January 1821 in Ninebanks, Northumberland

Married Mary Watson on 6th June 1840 at Ninebanks, Allendale, Northumberland

Children

Anne, born 20th March 1841 in Allendale, Northumberland8
 Elizabeth born March 1843, buried 2nd May 1843 at Carrshield, Northumberland (from Dyke Nook)
 Elizabeth, baptised 7th May 1844 in Carrshield, Northumberland (from Dyke Nook), buried 2nd November 1846 at Carrshield, Northumberland (from Dyke Nook)
 William, born on the 3rd of June 1846 in Dyke Nook, Allendale, Northumberland, baptised on the 29th of June 1846 at Limestone Brae Methodist Chapel
 ??John, born 2/1848 died 3/1848 6
 Joseph, born 14th January 1849 in Castleside, County Durham
 John, born 29th April 1851 in Castleside, County Durham
 Stephen, born 1852 in Castleside, County Durham
 Thomas Henry, born 21st April 1855 in Castleside, County Durham

Married Elizabeth Leonard (born 1840) on the 12th of June 1865 in the Register Office in County Durham in 1865 1,4

Children

Robert, born about 17th July, buried 22nd July 1865 at Muggleswick, County Durham7
 Jabez, born 24th July 1866  in Castleside, County Durham 4
 Sarah, born c. 1867  in Castleside, County Durham
 Joseph Charles, born 1870, died 18709

Died 5th May 1869 in Castleside, County Durham, buried on the 8th of May 1869 at St John, Castleside

Offline south shields

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 September 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry, posted twice!!
Dear Debbie

Just found:

Joseph Swindale

Illegitimate son of Sarah Swindle and William Williamson born at Smallburn, Ninebanks and baptised 7th January 1821 in Ninebanks, Northumberland

Married Mary Watson on 6th June 1840 at Ninebanks, Allendale, Northumberland

Children

Anne, born 20th March 1841 in Allendale, Northumberland8
 Elizabeth born March 1843, buried 2nd May 1843 at Carrshield, Northumberland (from Dyke Nook)
 Elizabeth, baptised 7th May 1844 in Carrshield, Northumberland (from Dyke Nook), buried 2nd November 1846 at Carrshield, Northumberland (from Dyke Nook)
 William, born on the 3rd of June 1846 in Dyke Nook, Allendale, Northumberland, baptised on the 29th of June 1846 at Limestone Brae Methodist Chapel
 ??John, born 2/1848 died 3/1848 6
 Joseph, born 14th January 1849 in Castleside, County Durham
 John, born 29th April 1851 in Castleside, County Durham
 Stephen, born 1852 in Castleside, County Durham
 Thomas Henry, born 21st April 1855 in Castleside, County Durham

Married Elizabeth Leonard (born 1840) on the 12th of June 1865 in the Register Office in County Durham in 1865 1,4

Children

Robert, born about 17th July, buried 22nd July 1865 at Muggleswick, County Durham7
 Jabez, born 24th July 1866  in Castleside, County Durham 4
 Sarah, born c. 1867  in Castleside, County Durham
 Joseph Charles, born 1870, died 18709

Died 5th May 1869 in Castleside, County Durham, buried on the 8th of May 1869 at St John, Castleside

Another bit of teh jigsaw!
rosamond

Offline south shields

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 September 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
Ninebanks Craig marriages
Hannah Craig to Michael Martin, 17 Nov 1767 (children Henry, Mary, Ann, Thomas, Hannah, John, Jane, Sally, Harry)
Joseph Craig of Coal Cleugh widower to Hannah Teasdale of Bongate, Westmorland, widow 14 Aug 1768
Mary Craig of Ashy Bank, East Allendale to Thomas Kirkby curate of Ninebanks, 11 Oct 1770 (Agnes Fothergill Kirkby was bap Nov 22, 1770)
Thomas Craig to Elizabeth Brown, 23 May 1771
Margaret Craig of Coal Cleugh to John Liddle of Paddock House, Allendale, 27 April 1772 (poss. children Joshua and George)
Isaac Craig of Hot House to Margaret Taleford of Haltwistle 20 May 1773 [marriage appears in Ninebanks register, noted marriage occured at Haltwistle]
Thomas Craig of Smallburn to Mary Taleford of Giercoats 12 Feb 1774 (children William 1774, Thomas 1775, James 1779, William 1781 (Millhouse), John 1784 (Millhouse, pauper), Mary 1786, Nancy 1792)
Mary Craig [of Broadlee] to William Burkitt, 12 May 1774
Isaac Craig of Greenlyclough to Margaret Harrison of Greenlyclough 11 Jun 1778

Another mention of Small Burn. this time 1774 and Thomas Craig....

Offline Colomb92

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Just a short message to enquirer if you are still active in your search ?
I am also descended from the Forster’s living at Smallburns in 1870 and for many years after.
I also worked out his father John was born in 1790 in Allendale and married to  Ann Robson, but have not been able to definitively confirm the next generation back. And not sure when they moved to the Stobb ?
Any insights appreciated, thanks
John