Author Topic: Christian name mystery - Smollett  (Read 42544 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christian name mystery - Smollett
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 12:31 GMT (UK) »
[quote author=tidybooks link=topic=440408.msg5174165#msg5174165 date=1388499513
Happy New Year to all readers.
Interesting find Tom.
Now makes me wonder if the Smollett name comes down the Henderson or the Sked families.
My search goes on, as we know never ending  :)
The Hendersons and Skeds are on my family tree, hope one day I will get to the bottom of it.
I have thought it might have come from Tobias Smollett but cant find anything yet.
thanks everyone for you help over the years.
Happy researching
Aussie Researcher

Hi Aussieresearcher,

Happy New Year to you too, I think now that we have a Male Henderson and a Female Henderson marriage both having a Smollet, I would think the Henderson line is favourite, maybe their grandmother. I cannot find an earlier Smollet in that area so far.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline NicoleMorley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 12 February 15 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicole,

My David Anderson Reid was the only Reid brother not to leave Scotland, so I am not much help with the New Zealand Reids. I do know that his brother Smollett Henderson Reid was the father of Georgina Reid, who married George William Morley and they had at least one son, named Smollett, but I'm afraid I don't know much else. Do you know who your David A Reid buried in Auckland is?

Sorry I couldn't help more but I will have a look through the information I have to see if there is anything else.

Michael

The David A Reid is "David Alexander Reid" son of Smollet Henderson and Jane Reid.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 14 February 15 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anita,

the name Smollett means " Small Head or Heid ", it does sound like somewhere in the family there is someone with that name of Smollett, families tended to keep names in the family by using them as middle names, my mother-in-law had four so the family tree was easy to work on.

I checked Scotlandspeople the Record Office and came up with numbers registered with the name.

The old Records covering all districts of Scotland ( 1538-1854 ).
Births = 6  Marriages = 56 and Deaths = 135.

The Statutory Records again all districts of Scotland ( 1855-2013 )

Births = 113  Marriages = 62 and Deaths 135 

Roman Catholic Births = 6 and Deaths = 135

Regards.

Archie.

Offline mk63ft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 07 March 15 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I know of a Smollet Punton who lived in Dunbar. I traced her for a while then realised she wasn't part of our family. She went to America? when she was in her early 20s with a single ticket.........if my memory is correct!

Offline Heather124

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 17 October 15 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Anita,
I realise this is an old post but the Smollett name has always been an issue of curiosity in our family. I was just looking at my family tree and thought I really should do a search on that name and then came across your post. Smollett Henderson was also my third great grand aunt.  I think the most recent manifestation in our family of the name was Smollett Elizabeth Anderson (known as Elizabeth) and Smollett Catherine Ross (who called herself Kate). Both these women were born in the 19thC and the name seems to have gone out of fashion since then.  I have a David Sked and a Mary Neilson for Margaret's parents but nothing yet for Alexander Henderson's parents. Let me know if you do any better!
Cheers,
Heather

Offline sharronjury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather. I have a Smollett Isles in my tree. She was born in 1829 and her mother was Marion Sked (1786-1859). Marion parents were John & Jane (Gray) and she married John Isles in 1806 in Leith.
Does Marion appear in your tree at all?
Thanks
Sharron

Offline Heather124

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 05 November 15 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharron,

I have a Smollett Henderson with a mother Margaret Sked - that's as close as I get although I have no other relatives for Margaret so it could possibly be a sibling. They were from Garvald, Scotland.

cheers,

Heather

Offline sharronjury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 08 November 15 22:52 GMT (UK) »
We are in the right area as Marion was born in East Lothian. Maybe not a sibling but possibly related. 
Regards,
Sharron

Offline Gavin Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 25 February 21 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I've been researching My Family Tree's for a good few years now. I've also taken an interest in taking pictures of Headstones/Memorials/Markers, transcribing them and doing some light research to give more depth to people. Mostly it's in and around Dunbar, East Lothian in Scotland. I add this to the Find-A-Grave website because it's free and easy to use globally.

I've just added a picture & information of an Alexander Henderson & Margaret Elizabeth Sked's memorial (Dunbar Parish Church). https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/223528617/alexander-henderson I noticed Smollet/Smollett's grave has been added to this website too (she's in Garvald, East Lothian) but as yet there is no picture of which I hope to get.

I've added some research which I believe is correct, but if there are any mistakes I am happy to be corrected.
Wilson's of Fife & the Lothians
Bruce's of Aberdeenshire
Fell's of Lanarkshire
Dewar's of Dundee & Glasgow
Kay's of Glasgow & Leith & East Lothian
Dickson/Blair/Golightly of East Lothian