Author Topic: Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS  (Read 57661 times)

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Penrose etc family history research
    • View Profile
Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS
« on: Sunday 20 March 05 07:27 GMT (UK) »
In my search for a Penros further back than 1195, I came across a village in France originally called Penros, and thought that some French soldiers may have come from here. However, it has been suggested to me by a CFHS member that some Cornish Celts fleeing Anglo-Saxon etc oppression went to Brittany and formed settlements, before returning to England in later centuries. Certainly there is no indication of any Penros or Penrose in France.

Has anyone any thoughts or info on this?

Chris Penrose
Penrose Pollard Stoddern Bowers Milnes Starkey Chappell

Offline djcs2005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of Penrose aka Penros
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,
I'm wondering if you have come across the Penvose spelling of the name? I at first believed the name was changed when the family immigrated to the US, but have been in touch with one line of the family, now living in Barnsley, Yorkshire, and they also use the Penvose spelling. The earliest ancestor I've been able to locate is John Penvose born circa 1821 in St. Austell. He married Jane Blewett in Tywardreath in 1847, and died there in what I assume was a mining accident, in 1866. All his children, except Edward Penvose, immigrated to the US in the early to mid 1870's, settling in Tioga Co., PA then later in Clearfield Co., PA.
The spelling variation has been a mystery to me for years, so if you have any thoughts on this subject, I'd appreciate hearing from you!
Thank you, Dorothy

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Penvose
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 21:56 BST (UK) »
Dear Dorothy

If you would like to contact me my email is MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spamming. Please use secure Personal massage system to share email addresses and personal information.

I have records back to 1613 so far, and will see what I can find. I am putting everything on a spreadsheet and will try and link the families that I can.

Regards

Chris Penrose

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Penvose Cornwall Searches
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 June 05 01:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Dorothy

I am confining my searches to the UK - I assume you have the US covered - and I can't afford to come over!?

It is 1.15am now and I am calling it a night.

Origin of Penvose: I am fairly sure that it was Penros(e) to start with. Names were corrupted for reasons of language and custom. Illiteracy was common so someone could write the name wrongly in the records and it would stick. 5th May 1663 Francis Penvose married Elynor Badge in Falmouth: her name changed on baptism of two children to Ellenor and Ellener, and when buried was recorded as Eleanor. Also, if you write down Penrose quickly it can be read as Penvose.

The Cornish burr could be misunderstood. I am sure you have spoken to many English people and heard different accents and could not understand some of them.

With my membership of the CFHS I will look up the Penvoses as they have more information cross-referenced and the 1861 and 1871 censuses are now pretty complete - they also have 1891 free.

The couple who are going around Cornwall recording all burial and memorial sites are doing well and gradually all information is going on FHO. I heard a talk by them in January in Truro and they are doing a smashing job.

Nearly all information on Family History Online is input by local societies, whereas IGI/LDS information is often the opposite. Although local societies are also prone to error, remoteness leads to confusion over local geography and names. Like recording the town of "Cornwall" in "Devon" - sorry, but this is an absolute sin as we Cornish have strong feelings about our nationality!

By the way: where are you based? I am an expatriate Redruthian in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

I am going to have lots of info pretty soon so would need your address or email to send it to.

Best wishes

Chris Penrose

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • looking into the past.lets you see the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 11:14 BST (UK) »
hi chris,i just wondered if your an ancester of the penroses from redruth.as i am.i have got back down to 1500s.and so far i have managed to keep the name penros/e intact.was very interested in your theory though.julie.
harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

Like my sister, I was born in Redruth Children's Hospital: Mum was born in Truro, and Dad was accidentally born in Barnstaple (!) when his Mum went into labour.

We would be related - albeit distantly - as all Penroses are supposed to derive from Philip in 1195, although I have another posting enquiring about that.

As to just how far apart, that depends on who you have gone back to, and then working in which is our common great times ?grandfather.

Hope to hear from you..

Regards

Chris Penrose

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • looking into the past.lets you see the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 13:44 BST (UK) »
hi chris, thank you for replying.my earliest ones from redruth are richard penrose 1856.and kate jose born 1860.richards dad being
john penrose 1824. who married prudence trevana1823.i then follow back to 1560 with richard penrose who married dennes,if i havent wrote it right or you need more to tell if we are linked let me know.im still learning,i have spoke to a few penroses from redruth and cornwall area,and find it wonderfull that so many of us are tracing.i lso speak online to a penrose in durham who is my second cousin and he has been very kind.best wishes julie. :)
harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 16:18 BST (UK) »
Julie

He had a son called William who died in 1686 in St Clement.

I have his will from the Cornish Record Office as he is my GGGGGGGGG Grandfather.

It goes Me, Ronald John, Frederick John, Frederick, Joseph, Joseph, Joseph, William, Jeptha, William, Joseph, William.

I have a copy of William's will if you would like to email your address to me on the address on my details.

Are you still in Cornwall? I am up in Leeds, myself.

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 16:23 BST (UK) »
Theres a saying about Cornish surnames, dont know if you know it -

"by Tre, Pol and Pen ye shall know Cornishmen"
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk