Author Topic: Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS  (Read 57629 times)

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Penrose etc family history research
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of Penrose aka Penros
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 16:39 BST (UK) »
Dear XPhile2868

Quite right, too.

I was walking past the site of the Hey Green Mills near Marsden the other day, which is in a valley that looks exactly like a Cornish semi-tidal valley complete with steep sided creek with layers showing where water has been travelling along the bank at different levels. this was at 270metres above sea-level.

My point is that someone has renamed a nearby row of cottages "Trevella". Turns out that the family now living there is from Cornwall and wanted to recreate that little bit of home.

Regards

Chris
Penrose Pollard Stoddern Bowers Milnes Starkey Chappell

Offline gss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 12:36 BST (UK) »
I also have Penrose ancestors from Cornwall. Arthur Penrose, baptised 1777 in Redruth, left Cornwall just after 1804 to move to Tavistock in Devon. One of his sons (my gg grandfather), also called Arthur, was baptised there in 1816 and by 1841 had moved to London. Would love to swap Penrose ancestry with anyone.
Gillian from Berkshire

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • looking into the past.lets you see the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 12:46 BST (UK) »
hi gillian,its nice to here from you.my earliest penrose is in 1560.richard.
my closest ones to your arthur are richard 1773 and john 1799.both from redruth.maybe we have a connection .will be fun to find out.best wishes julie. ;D
harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all!a very interesting bit of to+fro there,my small contribution concerns a part of the name which might help a bit.
Pre 1100,s is going to be difficult ,but 'Ros',Rhus',Rhos',Rhoss',Rose',as you know all indicate Red,'as it is used for Russia.
Also ,(and I honestly hope I'm not teaching anyone to suck eggs here!)there is Roseland in Cornwall,Rhos in Wales,and almost directly opposite a Rhos in Ireland.
All well and good ?Maybe a look at Scotland,+east coast names may turn up a connection?
Even a plain Redman?
            Twisted logic!Goggy

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 15:21 BST (UK) »
Goggy: don't even go there! Scotland, that is! Penrose is Cornish Cornish Cornish! If you are Cornish you are close to being struck off!!

Hi again julie - more left on your email.

Welcome to the fray, Gillian. Sometime we will have to persuade someone to put the 1560-1716 PRs from Redruth online from the book by Thurston C. Peter which is in both the Cornish Studies Centre in Redruth and the Morrab Library in Penzance. This book predates the Phillimores books, and Phillimore and the Reverend Taylor made a conscious decision not to duplicate their work.

The contents of this book are listed only on the Morrab Library Online website.

I have not seen this Peter book, only having found out about it last week, but if anything like the introductions to the Phillimores it will make great reading. One anecdote tells of £1 in beer being given to people for work on the registers! This sort of thing makes family history so less dry and more interesting.

As to the the Redruth Penroses, if they are directly related it will be within a couple of generations. Otherwise it will be a case of movement between the Cornish mines and thus parishes. Julie, Dorothy, Ruth, and Darren are already in touch with me - feel free to email me on the MSN address on my members profile.

All the best

Chris Penrose

Offline Emsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 July 05 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris, I also have Penrose on my tree; I have John Penrose b? mar Elizabeth Hill 30/10/1786 had son James 14/10/1787 in St Just. I also have another John Penrose b? mar Anne Unknown & had a son William b1826 mar Mary Jacka, they had son William Thomas b1859, Daughters, Eva Jane b 1859, Elizabeth b1866, Grace Jacka b1863.
I have a Thomas mar Jane Warren & daughter Amelia b31/11/1871 St Just & I have James Penrose b c1780 mar Jennifer Bond 28/3/1825. Are these Penroses linked do you know please? Sincerely Emsey.
Ashton, Bennetts, Blewett, Bullen,Carpenter, Charlesworth, Crase, Eddy, Hounslow, Grenfell, Guy, Jacobs, Lord, Mathews, Nicholls, Pickford, Rollings, Thomas, Todd, White, Yelland.

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 July 05 12:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Emsay

The Johns go up a different line from mine, but we are all linked in some way, 80% sure to the Penros(e)s around Helston in the 13th century then back in some way via another line. I received Phillimore's Domesday book this morning so that might provide a springboard. ??

From William Penrose (d. 1686) I go up the St Clement 'Josephs' over to Falmouth to my GGrandfather.

There are a few candidates for John's birth: 17/03/1754; 01/05/1750. It is a process of elimination (Excuse me for repeating anything you already know).

A John Penrose married Mary Jelbard in St Just in 1774, and another one Judith Pellew in St Just in 1791. No Johns made it to the 1841 census unfortunately.

I have looked at my Phillimore marriages CD and the lack of alternate Parishes for either indicates that both resided there as opposed to someone from out-of-town.

Batch P020311 covers a multitude of sins, and the IGI Batch number sequence can be found by pasting this into your browser - save it to your bookmarks/favourites

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyCornwall.htm#S

Another useful resource is http://www.cornwalleng.com/

And a link for genealogy for St Just-in-Penwith (as opposed to Roseland) is: http://west-penwith.org.uk/just1.htm

There were a lot of these Johns and on a future Cornish Penrose genealogy website we can have a sub-section to sorting them all out.

If I come across anything else I will let you know and you can of course send me a personal message using the address in my profile.

Kind regards for your interest in this topic

Chris Penrose

Offline Emsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 July 05 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris, thanx for the answer & the addies. I also have Pascoe, Bennetts & Stephens on my tree, regards, Emsey.
Ashton, Bennetts, Blewett, Bullen,Carpenter, Charlesworth, Crase, Eddy, Hounslow, Grenfell, Guy, Jacobs, Lord, Mathews, Nicholls, Pickford, Rollings, Thomas, Todd, White, Yelland.

Offline jill.penrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris
I have been reading all your Penrose/Penros/ Penvose information with interest.
I was wondering if you have come across my family.
My PENROSE family lived round St Just in Penwith and appear to be descended from Roger PENROSE born c 1638 and Margaret THOMAS born c 1643.
Any information would be most welcome especially if there was some connection between our families.
Regards from
Jill Penrose