Author Topic: Gittins of Glyn  (Read 7089 times)

Offline ROBERTOWEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gittins of Glyn
« on: Sunday 20 March 05 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Part of my family, the Gittins  moved to Glyn Farm. Bettws
they show up in 1851
and move in 1861 back to penygelli
any ideas

Offline MWhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gittins of Glyn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 21:22 BST (UK) »
My grandfather Richard Gittins was born at Penygelli in 1875.  They were related to the Gittins on the Bettws farm.  I believe that 
his father Christopher took over the Penygelli farm after his father's death and that a brother who had been at Penygelli went to the other farm.  I think his name was William.  I have some olf info given to me by a cousin that I will look up for you.  I am very interested to know who is listed on the 1851 Census of both the Penygelli and Bettws farm.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 22:45 BST (UK) »
Here you are MHWhite:-

Gittins at Penygelly in 1851

Wiliam Gittins 38 Farmer of 230 acres
David Gittins brother 33 Joint Farmer
Sarah Gittins sister 30 House Servant
Richard Gittins father 71 Annuitant
Mary Gittins Mother 72 Annuitant

and 1 servant

Gittins at Glyn in 1851

Richard Gittins 43 Farmer of 160 acres
Elizabeth Gittins 38 Farmer's Wife
Children: Eliza 9, Mary 5, Christopher 3

and 6 servants.

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline MWhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 00:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information.  I realize when rereading your response  that I made an error.  It was my grandfather's grandfather Richard that took over as the eldest son , the Penygelli farm after his father's death, also named Richard.  As far as your info of the inhabitants of Penygelli in 1851 - I'm of the belief that Sarah Gittins was William's wife not a servant.  As I noted earlier they exchanged farms on the father's death as Richard was the eldest son.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I double checked the entry for Sarah Gittins at Penygelly, and it does say she is SISTER to William :D

There are a large number of GITTINS in the 1851 all born in the same area which could be connected with your Gittins at Penygelly.  Let me know if you would like me to list them.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline ROBERTOWEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
The information i have traced back is as follows

Richard Gittins, son of Richard Gittins, married Elizabeth Jones of Argoed (i persume it's the one near Llangadfan), with her dowry of £400 !!!!
They moved to Glyn (the Farm house is still there being renovated),
From my point of view they produced Eliza or Elizabeth and she married John Richard Owen in 1863 and moved to Liverpool. You can trace her in 1871, 1881 and 1891 and in 1901 they moved to Wallasey and so on....me

Richard and Elizabeth moved back to penygelli in 1860 and in 1871
 Elizabeth a Widow with her son Christopher managed the farm.
in 1881 Christopher was in charge, but in 1891the farm is in the hands of the Jones
(are they related to the original Jones of Argoed),
but in 1901 the Evans are there!

The Penygelli farm is still running and the Jones family are renting it, unfortunately it was lambing time and they had little opportunity to speak.
They were helpful and the Father said he is related to the Gittins family.
Unfortunately the Welsh accent is very differcult to understand
Research required...

Rob

Offline MWhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 23:36 BST (UK) »
A little more information as to why the Christopher Gittin's  family  left Penygelli in the late 1880's.  The family never really heard the real reason but rumors were that Christopher (your Eliza's brother) drank far too much and went into debt and perhaps even disgrace.  He packed up the family and moved to Pontypridd where he secured a grocery store and bakery and built some rental homes in the small town of Cilfynydd.  From time to time his wife Jane Elizabeth (Jones) returned to Penygelli to visit so whether they still had some financial interest in the farm or had just rented it or sold it, we do not know.  By 1910, Richard Gittins the eldest son had married and was working as a foreman at the colliery. He had 3 young sons and a daughter.  Jane Gittins persuaded her husband and son to emmigrate to Alberta Canada where acreages were being given to those who cleared it.  This they did.  Christopher Gittins died in Edmonton in 1919 and Jane Gittins died there in 1933.

How far back have you traced the Gittins family of Penygelli?

Offline ROBERTOWEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 April 05 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
The furthest back i go is the copy of the Marriage agreement between Richard Gittins and Elizabeth Jones in 1839. I have been working backwards.
I'll try to find out more about Richard Gittins Senior, i am also trying to find out more about Elizabeth of Argoed, but unfortunately there are too many Jones and Gittins around the area.

Rob

Offline ROBERTOWEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 April 05 09:28 BST (UK) »
Worth considering..
in the 1881 Census, the Jones Family in the farm next door had a son called Thomas, aged 17 and a servant girl called Elizabeth Evans, aged 13.
In the 1891 census Penygelli is farmed by a Thomas Jones aged 27 and married to an Elizabeth aged 23.
In 1901 the Evans were in charge...the plot thickens..

Rob