Author Topic: Armstrong in Millbrook, Ontario  (Read 5899 times)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armstrong in Millbrook, Ontario
« on: Friday 26 February 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
I'm interested in trying to find info on the following:

James Armstrong who left Ireland in 1840, settled in Durham County, near Millbrook, Ontario.

He  had a son John M. Armstrong born 1840 in Ontario, died 20th Jan 1901 in Pierson, Manitoba. He wed Ann Eliza Ball (1844-1927) in 1879.

Do any records show where in Ireland James hailed from? Also, I have no info re his wife

Cheers
Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong in Millbrook, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 February 10 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Have you obtained a copy of John's death registration from Manitoba Vital Statistics. Registrations from their genealogy database cost $10 Canadian and can be ordered using a form from this website:
http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php
It's my understanding that the names of parents would be listed if known.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 February 10 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  for the tip Jacquie,
I'll give that a try
Cheers
Bob

Offline fer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob and any who can help:

I'm the descendant Bob is helping search for any info that can trace my Armstrong ancestor back to Ireland.  I have a bit more info that might help:

My current trail for John Armstrong's parents is focusing on James Armstrong, born c. 1799 in Ireland (no more specifics than that). Immigrated prior 1838 to Cavan, Durham, Ontario, Canada.  Married Catherine Golden, also originally from Ireland, on Sept. 5, 1838 in Cavan, Ontario.  James was said to be a "distiller" and died in 1854, with Catherine dying in 1859.  John, their eldest, was born 1840, baptized 1841.  I'm actively after source documents for these "facts", and re: Jacquie's comment about MB Vital Stats, I'm curious if she's had experience where the source document differs from their online information. 

If anyone has information on Armstrongs immigrating to Durham county from Ireland in the early 1800's, I'd love the input.  There were numerous Armstrongs in the area that may have been related from the old country.  I'd also welcome any advice on how I might cheaply and easily research Ontario records from a province away.

Thanks,
Grant

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 07:08 GMT (UK) »
I haven't ordered a registration from that time period but, as I said, it is my understanding that the names of the parents, if known by the informant, would be included. The online database does not include all the information that is on the actual registration.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline carlym

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
There's a likely baptism at St Michael's in Cobourg for a John Armstrong on 23 Jan 1841, a child of "the lawful marriage of James Armstrong and Catherine Golden".  The sponsors were James Monaghan and Anne Astin.  John was born 12 Oct 1840.  The priest's signature looks like A F Kernan.
The image is from Family Search via a record on Ancestry.
I'm looking for a Mary Ann Armstrong who was born in Millbrook about 1843 whose father was a James, b Ireland.  She married Richard T McBride of Baltimore, Hamilton Tp, Northumberland. 
She and her siblings were not shown as Roman Catholic on the 1861 census in Cavan, Division 2 and she was always identified as Protestant on her census records.  In 1861, there are no parents with the siblings which does fit with the deaths mentioned in the earlier comments...
They were all single, all born here.
John Armstrong 21 Farmer
Thos Moffat 23 (not an Armstrong)
Mary Ann 18 Armstrong
Jane 16          ''
James 14       ''
Susan 11       "
William 9        "
Thos 7            "
The separate 1861 Agricultural Census lists John Armstrong with 6 acres of Con 1, Lot 11.  The McGill County Atlas Project has a bigger acreage of that lot belonging to Wm & Thomas Armstrong in the late 1870's.  It was 2 concessions away from Millbrook.
Carlym

Offline fer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 07:30 GMT (UK) »
I believe I have a copy of the baptismal record for the remaining children of James and Catherine Armstrong.  It is from 1854 so after James' death but likely all the kids got baptized on the same day.  I've also attached the church record of James and Catherine's marriage on Sept. 15, 1838 for your records.  They were provided to me from a descendant of either Mary or Susan quite a few years ago but I may be able to track down his email if you desire.

Grant

P.S.  Attachments failed, too big.  Rather than compress the already compressed JPEGs and lose quality, I can try email or something.

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I believe I have a copy of the baptismal record for the remaining children of James and Catherine Armstrong.  It is from 1854 so after John's death but likely all the kids got baptized on the same day.  I've also attached the church record of John and Catherine's marriage on Sept. 15, 1838 for your records.  They were provided to me from a descendant of either Mary or Susan quite a few years ago but I may be able to track down his email if you desire.

Grant

P.S.  Attachments failed, too big.  Rather than compress the already compressed JPEGs and lose quality, I can try email or something.

Thanks for the update, Grant. I've just sent some info (on a slightyl different topic) to your email address which you had in 2014. If it's been changed, please email me with the new one.
Cheers,
Bob

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 04:42 GMT (UK) »
I may have a possible connection with James Armstrong, although his wife's name was indicated as Mary McGoldrick. Those are the parent's names indicated on my ggf's death certificate.

I've been circling around the McBride surname for years. I have since found that I share DNA with one of Mary A Armstrong and Richard McBride's descendants which makes it even more likely...

I have not been able to locate anything other than censuses and since there are a couple families in the area, it gets tricky, as you know.

Would be interested in corresponding to put our heads together.

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England