Author Topic: Sweny of Dublin  (Read 62290 times)

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sweny of Dublin
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 March 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
KC
Herewith the entries for No.1 Lincoln Place re Sweny (or variations on spelling)
22/11/1861    Mr Sweeney       Apothecary
26/8/1863    Mr Sweney's premises destroyed by fire
 5/10/66     (Police Intelligence) Dr. & Mrs. Mark Sweeny
26/11/1868  (Death)  George Arthur Wellington Sweny
 5/10/1869   (Death)  Mark Sweny M.D.
29/10/1880  P.1 (Death) Albert (son of late Mark Sweny M.D.)
 7/3/1883     P.1 (Marriage) Ada (dau. of late Mark Sweny M.D.)
 8/2/1886     P.1 Births) Frederick William Sweny  & 17/9/87 & 9/7/1889 & 9/2/1891 & 9/3/1892
      contd                            Q.

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 March 10 18:29 GMT (UK) »
contd                                                    2
20/7/1887   P.3 (Police C.) Summons against Frederick Sweeny for compounding medicine without a licence--withdrawn         and see 30/11/1887 P.3
25/7/1891    P.1 (Death) Eveleen Ruby (dau. of F.W. & Sophia M.Sweny)
28/5/1894     P.1 (Death) Sarah Anne (widow of Mark Sweny)
30/4/1897     P.1(Marriage) Frederick William (son of late Mark Sweny)
16/2/1898     P.1 (Births) Frederick William Sweny     & 29/5/1899 P.1  & 24/8/1900 P.1
 7/10/1899    P.1 (Death) John Egar (son in law of late Dr. Mark Sweny)
 5/3/1900      P.1 (Death) Lydia L. (dau. of late Mark Sweny M.D.)   late of

Regards          Quaxer

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 March 10 22:43 GMT (UK) »
To Quaxar,
Thanks once again for all the valuable info. Most of it is new to me, and as the details are not complete, I'll have to try to acess the Irish Times site. I'll open
a subscription to gain access. Can you give me the address of the site please ?
I knew about the police incident from 1866. An item about Dr. Mark appeared in the British Medical Journal of 13 October 1866:
"CONVICTION OF A DOCTOR FOR PROTECTING HIS WIFE.
Dr. Sweeny of Dublin was brought up in custody, charged with having assaulted a police constable. It appeared that Dr.Sweeny was walking home with his wife at one o'clock in the morning, and the policemen, acting under orders recently given to the metropolitan force with respect to
unfortunates, looked curiously at him and his wife, at which he was irritated. A policeman darted out of a laneway, and caught him by the shoulder and his wife by the breast, and asked him what business he had to be going with that young woman at that hour of the night; he then struck the policeman, and told him to begone, saying that the lady was his wife. Dr.Sweeny was ordered to pay a fine of £1 for the assault."

Sweny was not repentant; at the trial, he said:  “If I’d had a sabre, I would have run him through !”  Another version claims that the officer was subsequently charged with assaulting the doctor.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 March 10 00:23 GMT (UK) »
To Quaxar again:
It was a great idea to start this forum, we've filled in a lot of the gaps.
Re the death of Lydia L Sweny in 1900, dau of Dr Mark. Did it actually give her name as Sweny ? I thought she had married in 1873 (Lydia Lovely Sweny).
Also, re the fire at the chemist's shop-
I have the cert. for the death on 28.4.1891 of a Mark Sweeny, 16 years old, a chemist’s son, who had died of burns from a fire, but we don’t know who he was. I wonder if there was anything in the Irish Times about this ?
Regards,
Ken

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 March 10 00:12 GMT (UK) »
KC

The fire took place in 1863 not 1891 and if there had been any casualties I surely would have recorded them. If I could find an address (just street only) I always recorded the names mentioned even if the spelling was dubious. Literally , many hours were spent with my magnifying loup to decipher the obscure. Further I made many entries  which were of limited value as to what they refered but revealed the full names/qualifications over several references.
Look on the Irish Times site for their archive section.

Regards     Quaxer

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 March 10 00:36 GMT (UK) »
To Quaxar,
Sorry, I didn't mean the same fire. It was obviously a later one. The only
reference I have is the Death Cert. (actually included free by my 'searcher' with the cert. I had ordered, "in case I was interested".
The doctor stated that the boy had died from burns when his clothes caught fire. It was an accident. Perhaps it was not important enough to report in the Irish Times.
As he died in Mercer's Hospital, there was no address given. But it would be a coincidence if there had been another chemist named Sweeny in Dublin.
Anyway, I can't place him yet.
Regards,
Ken

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 March 10 01:05 GMT (UK) »

K.C.

If the death occured in Mercers Hospital then you could look at their admissions register. I have seen somewhere that their records are still in existence. Maybe they are in the National Archives but failing that perhaps the librarian of the R.C.S.I. could help there. As you probably can deduce the source work I created was intended to be of use to historians in many fields covering people,property and events both particular and general.

Regards     Quaxer

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 March 10 01:27 GMT (UK) »

Perhaps it was not important enough to report in the Irish Times.

In what sense do you mean important?

The Irish Times has always been respected as a source of independent reporting.

Sometimes it's hard to understand that in the 'tabloid culture' which we have become accustomed to.

Dara.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 06 March 10 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Dara,
I don't mean to criticize the Irish Times. Their archives are a very valuable source for historians and genealogists.
Perhaps it did not come to their attention. Perhaps it is there somewhere.
What I am trying to find out is-
Was the first chemist Dr Mark , an apothecary ? Apparently that subject was
obligatory for trainee doctors, and he may have fallen back on that in his later years. Some of his descendants believe this.
I think that his eldest son Mark Halpin Sweny practised as a chemist in Lincoln Place before his brother Fredk Wm. took over.
In any case  Fredk was the one in mind as the chemist who sold the cake of lemon scented soap to Mr Bloom in Joyce's "Ulysses" (set in 1904).
So there may have been three Sweny chemists altogether. What happened to Mark ? Well, I found two children to his second wife, bapt. in a Catholic church.
This may have some bearing.
Ken