Author Topic: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland  (Read 54442 times)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am descended from two families who come from Thomastown Kilkenny.  They arrived in Australia in 1855, some on the Gloriana, some on the Ramillies.  Michael and Mary Hudson arrived with children Mary, John, Catherine and Thomas.  Michael's brother James arrived with wife Mary (nee Foley).  Mary's parents Edward and Catherine arrived with children James, Hannah and Bridget.  James and Mary apparently married at Sugarstown in 1855 before embarking.  I have other fragments of information and have had useful help from correspondents but have yet to really get down to sorting it out.  Any hints would be appreciated (particularly the economic climate of the area at that time and the possible reasons for the migration).  Thanks.  Jennifer
Hi Jennifer,
I know it's a long time since you posted this, but I hope you're still interested.
I would love some more information on the voyage of the Ramillies to Moreton Bay in 1855.
NSW records have the passenger list online. Your James and Margaret are there, along with my 4 Tedfords.
What I'd love to know is the ports it called at. It seems to have left from the Thames, according to many sites e.g. trove and British newspapers. 1 and only one site has it leaving Liverpool and calling at Cork on the way. This is immigration bridge, or immigration place: the story of Robert Brown.
Do you, or does anyone else, have any information about this?

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, it will take me a little while to dig through my files but if I can't get to them later tonight will get back to you in the next couple of days.  My recollection is that there was an error in the published newspaper shipping information which throws one off the trail.   I remain very interested in this story and it would be interesting to see whether the Hudson and Tedfords have any common history before or after the voyage. More later; I don't come up for air until the weekend.  Jennifer

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Me again, These are the notes from the search I did on Trove nla digitized newspapers. You might care to read the original notices and articles now that you have the dates.  I am pretty sure I have other information as well but hopefully this is a start.  It does seem to confirm the ship started off from London - it does seem reasonable to think our lot got on at Cork but I haven't located any documentation (haven't really tried as yet).  The error in publication appears to refer to other ships, not the Ramillies.  Please contact me again if you don't hear from me within the next week or so. Jennifer

SYDNEY MORNING HERALD 1/9/1855
From Hardy’s Shipping List June 1
Vessels advertised for Sydney
Ramillies (emi.)

MAITLAND MERCURY  5/9/1855
From Hardy’s Shipping List June 1
Vessels advertised for Sydney
Ramillies (emigrant ship) 740 tons, Captain C. Hudder to sail July 11. 

SYDNEY MORNING HERALD 1.10.1855
Vessels loading July 1
For Moreton Bay. – Ramillies (at London)

SYDNEY MORNING HERALD 9.10.1855
Vessels expected in Sydney 
Those marked “ are bound for Melbourne and Sydney
FROM LONDON
Ramillies (emi) 740 tons, Hodder, July 11
Note the Ramillies was NOT asterisked in this list. 

SYDNEY MORNING HERALD 12.11.1855 page 1
(from Moreton Bay correspondent)
The Ramillies, with Government emigrants for this port, sailed on the 28th July and may now, therefore, be daily looked for.  The other immigrant vessels advertised for Moreton Bay I can perceive no notice of lately;  so that, in all probability, there was some mistake in advertising them for this part of the colony.  This is a blunder which I have observed has often occurred………..and more.

SYDNEY MORNING HERALD 3.12.1855
Moreton Bay arrivals
The Ramillies, with Government immigrants, anchored at the river bar on Thursday evening. 

EMPIRE SYDNEY 10/12/1855
….. and the Ramillies, only recently arrived with immigrants, was steering the same course when the pilot board in time to save her.”   (Assume Moreton Bay – part of a longer article regarding navigation of the channel). 

SYDNEY MORNING HERALD 17/12/1855
“……The charges brought against the commander and surgeon-superintendent of the Ramillies are said to have been of a twofold nature.  In the first place it was alleged that inferior provisions were supplied on the voyage, and in the second place that irregularities have occurred with regard to the unmarried females.”
and more

SYDNEY MORNING HERALD 24/12/1855
The Fortune, Forrie? And Ramillies were laying at the bar, the latter vessel would sail for Sydney on the 21st instant.   (I assume at Moreton Bay). 

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jennifer. I'll post what I have too soon. It probably should become a new thread called Ramillies, maybe in the Australian section. It probably won't be until Saturday. I'm glad you're still interested. My Tedfords were married in Tartaraghan, Armagh, 11 Apr 1850 from family search and a few other places. This is where the Robert Brown of the immigration bridge story came from too. Margaret was née Magee/ McGee.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 24 March 12 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Sorry. Saturday was a bit ambitious for that thread about the Ramillies in the Australian section. It's taking a while to get things properly together for it. Aside from ports departed from and called in at, there is a difficulty at this end too. One main interesting arrival thing is the 19th November 1855 arrival given in the NSW records digital copy of the passenger record, with no place of arrival. This is the same date as the Ships List gives for its arrival in NSW. 3rd December seem the earliest trove date for Moreton Bay. Could it have gone to NSW, then Moreton Bay, then back to NSW? An alternative idea is that perhaps it was simply that Qld didn't yet exist, so Moreton bay was part of NSW.
I will put up the post some time in the future  :)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 25 March 12 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Searchr.  I have complicated things by having another thread under Ramillies (ship) AND I posted it twice in error (thought it hadn't gone through the first time) - it has much the same information as in this thread. In the other thread some alternate dates have been posted. I think it unlikely the Ramillies would have gone to Sydney, then Moreton Bay, then Sydney again based purely on the fact that James and Mary were headed for Sydney to meet their relatives who had arrived on the Gloriana.  There was also a date offered in the posts that the Ramillies sailed from Cork in April - which suggests that perhaps they boarded at Cork in April, sailed to London and waited around for three months before sailing to Australia. Maybe the newspapers got it wrong.  Another correspondent has said that many Irish did travel in order to leave from London - so that also could have occurred.  Something is still not working with the dates.  I think your suggestion that Moreton Bay was regarded as NSW is a valid one.  I need to investigate the Gloriana to see what the Hudson and Foley relatives are likely to have done.    Jennifer

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 00:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry folks was on a break for a while if anyone has any question please be free to ask i be happy to help.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 08:53 BST (UK) »
I've posted about this in your thread Ramillies (ship) in Cork, Jennifer: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,588769.0.html
I hope it's useful.
I still haven't finished sorting out all my information, but am pretty close, I think.

Offline debbymcc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 21:29 BST (UK) »
My husband's father Patrick McCarthy and brothers Daniel, James and Michael were all born between 1903 -1913 in Thomastown, KIlkenny, although Daniel may have originally had a different surname as rumour has it he was from the first marriage. They attended Thomastown Infants and their father(s) was a railwayman. No records can be found there though and I wonder if there births were regsitered as the nly records I can find don't match the birthdates from Mondelogo School, Waterford where they attended from 1917 and their parents were lodgekeepers at Boherwallin railway crossing. Patrick and James came to England in the 1930s, but Michael and Daniel lived out theit lives until the late 70s in Cappagh, Cappoquin, Waterford, dying in the early 1970s. I can find very little about their lives but the major object is to find the names of Patrick's parents. He was born in Thomastown in December 1913.