Author Topic: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland  (Read 54253 times)

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland
« on: Saturday 27 February 10 10:05 GMT (UK) »
If anyone requires any help with look up of family history or the towns history of Thomastown please do'nt be afraid to ask and i will be happy to help.Also please feel free to add photos of the town.

Offline grove27

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 10 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thank you for your offer (Im in Australia and accessing Kilkenny records can be difficult)

Im looking for the death/burial of Denis Foley who was christened 1 Oct 1788 in Thomastown (married Ellen Mangin in Thomastown 11 May 1817). I have christening details on their 11 children but their extended families would also be appreciated.

Regards

Peter
Sanger/Swanger/Swainger Mason Luckwell Wheddon Bartlett Stockham Baker Pride Snow Silk Whitfield- Somerset
Myers Slingsby - Yorkshire
Lynch  O'Dea Connell Maher - Limerick
Foley Reddy Mangin Campion - Bennetts Bridge, Kilkenny
Talbot Osbourne- NZ

Offline ockie37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 April 10 16:43 BST (UK) »
I have an aunt and some cousins living in Thomastown, Co Kilkenny, and its still hard to find any information. The PP, doesn't seem to be very helpful

Offline grove27

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 April 10 09:05 BST (UK) »
I was there in 2005 and the PP was most helpful at that time. The person offerring the assistance hasnt been in contact since I posted the reply, so you may be right.
Sanger/Swanger/Swainger Mason Luckwell Wheddon Bartlett Stockham Baker Pride Snow Silk Whitfield- Somerset
Myers Slingsby - Yorkshire
Lynch  O'Dea Connell Maher - Limerick
Foley Reddy Mangin Campion - Bennetts Bridge, Kilkenny
Talbot Osbourne- NZ

Offline AISLINN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 April 10 19:19 BST (UK) »
Un helpfull P.P's  are   very common.    I have written on several occasions to different  parishes, mostly the  emails have been  completely ignored...
But  there have been a few PP's who have been most helpfull with supplying information.  It is most unfortunate.  I do think that all these records should be freely available to any genuine person who is trying  to trace their ancestory!

Offline violet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is a little of the mark but I am trying to find Cassins, Kilkenny.  now I think I might be on the right track and have found BDM with a registration district of Thomastown.  One is a Margaret Cassin died Oct to Dec Qrt of 1908 born c1838.  The other Mary M cassin died Jan to Mar qrt 1940.  I think Mary M lived in Hugginstown and Margaret in Aughaviller.  Would these be in the Thomastown registration district.  They were RC.

Any help greatfully received.

Violet

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 June 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
There is some help that you could give me for which I would be very grateful.  My grandfather was an RIC man stationed in the town sometime between 1916 and 1921.  He and my grandmother had twins who died either during or shortly after birth.  My mum is now very ill and has never fulfilled her desire to go to Thomastown to look at the cemetary to see where they were buried.  I don't know if there is a gravestone or anything there.  My grandfather's name was Patrick Quirke and his wife was Nora Quirke, nee Murphy, from Newmarket.  He originally hailed from Co Clare

If you know of any grave records for that period or who I might contact, it would be wonderful,

Yours,

Ceallachain

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
www.Interment.net has Thomastown cemetery records, Murphy included, but no Quirke.

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Seanmac.  I wonder if because they were so young (dying either during or just after birth) their burial might not have been recorded?